State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked a Disney vacation package with reservations at the YC for early August. We will simply cancel, lose the $200 deposit, and “scramble” to book a different summer vacation for our family.

I know some people don’t have the ability to cancel due to DVC point rentals, non refundable airfares, etc.; however, I’m not sure why anyone with the ability to cancel their package wouldn’t do so under the current circumstances.

Why accept a heavily diminished experience for $10,000+ ? I read many posts where people state that this will be their “final trip” to Disney and that they will just make the best of it...I’m not sure why anyone would be okay with any of this.

I love almost everything about WDW. When the experience of visiting the parks and riding the attractions becomes a chore, and a tortuous time-commitment, we’re out!

The top 5% of US households earn as much as the bottom 60% combined. The top earners skew the mean, or simple average income number, much higher than the amount the median, or exact middle-of-the-pack household earns.
When looking at the median, we take every single US household and rank them by annual income. There are about 126 million households in the US, so when ranked by income, we look at the income of the 63rd millionth on the list.
And what we find is that for all the purported progress and recovery and great stock market and all the rest, the real household median income, below which half of all US households fall, is around $45,000 and about half the mean income of almost $90,000
I already provided you the data proving you wrong. Next.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2020/acs/acsbr20-03.pdf

I booked a Disney vacation package with reservations at the YC for early August. We will simply cancel, lose the $200 deposit, and “scramble” to book a different summer vacation for our family.

I know some people don’t have the ability to cancel due to DVC point rentals, non refundable airfares, etc.; however, I’m not sure why anyone with the ability to cancel their package wouldn’t do so under the current circumstances.

Why accept a heavily diminished experience for $10,000+ ? I read many posts where people state that this will be their “final trip” to Disney and that they will just make the best of it...I’m not sure why anyone would be okay with any of this.

I love almost everything about WDW. When the experience of visiting the parks and riding the attractions becomes a chore, and a tortuous time-commitment, we’re out!

For one thing and one thing only..... Star Wars. I've said it before, if it were not for GE I would not be going this time. I would spend 1/3 of this money and go to Hawaii.

That was a really long post arguing that they should be using median not mean when they were already doing that in the first place. In your buffet scenario the median income would still be broke, not $1 billion.

According to the US census bureau, the median household income in the US in 2019 was $65,712. It’s certainly closer to $70,000 in 2021. Not sure where your quote about $45,000 came from. Here’s the data with a definition of how they got to median income as well.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2020/acs/acsbr20-03.pdf
I also live in the Midwest and know many households making $70k a year. Who you know and I know and how much money they make is the irrelevant. That data is what it is.

Overall, I agree with the rest of your post though. There’s more to the cost of a visit than ticket prices.
45k is roughly the median personal income of a full time worker in the us as opposed to median household income for all households. Could be that.

With so many park activities still not happening, I'd personally like to see Disney bring those things back before they go making any major changes to the FP system.

If people had more things to do in each park, they wouldn't all be standing in the same long lines. :(

Entertainment, some shows, parades, meet & greets, the free extra activities like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (that they've done away with for good :( ), food locations, even resorts are all things that help keep those lines less lengthy. I'm personally opting for the extreme patience approach---we keep putting off our trip trying to wait for nearly all of these things to open back up again.

Median income = $50,000
1 day for a family of 4 = $320
That is approx 0.64% of the median household income. Between 2001 and this point, Magic Your Way tickets were introduced.

Median income = $79,000
1 day for a family of 4 = $458
That is approx 0.57% of the median household income. This is the first decrease we’ve seen in percentage of income since 1982.

Ok... so ignoring the complexity and potential error in this sort of statistical analysis, I believe it is missing the entire point of this thread... Let us assume that the current cost for one day is approximately constant over the past decade but any incremental cost for fastpasses is essentially a new charge required to obtain a comparable experience.

on the low end, assuming a la carte for 4 rides at $10/ride/person = $618 or 0.78% of the median household income.

on the high end of what I could see @ $100/person/day =$858/day or 1.09% median income

or on high end of ridiculous rumors @ $300/person/day = $1658/day or 2.1% median income

All these numbers are essentially meaningless but the astronomical increases in overall cost due to rumored paid fastpass is what has many in a tizzy.

I for one think current prices are absolutely fair when it includes FP+, i have hated every single price increase and am incredubly frugal, but I absolutely value the experience at current prices. I do not know how I will feel with paid fastpass, on the low end... i will probably swallow it and move on with my life doing disney like normal. on the high end, I will still do disney but I will have to learn how to experience it differently because my pockets are not deep.

What does a person/household median income have to do with the return of FP??
Well, if you want to defend Disney you’re going to have to head out to left field because there’s no defending the lack of FP+ with the waits being what they are.

But yeah, if we could move the income/inflation/mind numbing conversation over to the budget board or something, that’d be great. I’m just here for the FP.

Well, if you want to defend Disney you’re going to have to head out to left field because there’s no defending the lack of FP+ with the waits being what they are.

But yeah, if we could move the income/inflation/mind numbing conversation over to the budget board or something, that’d be great. I’m just here for the FP.

Me too. That $ conversation is about as mind-numbing as the wait time argument. 🙄

I am completely on the same page with you, but I seem to fit into that "stuck" category. We are booked for 9 nights mid-August (multiply onsite hotels, including YC). We have non-refundable airfare (though I will consider saving the credit for future use), and non-refundable Boo Bash tix, though I will consider begging for a refund. I think I can still return my park tix to Undercover Tourist but I am not sure.

I go back and forth daily about canceling. Here is my issue: this is a belated 18th bday, belated class of 2020 hs graduation, pre-off to out of state college trip after a covid-imposed deferment...based on the wish of my only child, who never asks for anything. No matter what bad news I throw at him, he still wants to go, and is convinced it will all be ok. Granted, he is very easy-going, and not paying the bills--I am the one who has a huge issue with everything happening now. And he has a point, that once he is away at school, busy with friends/internships or whatever happens, who knows when we will get to go. So do we suck it up and make the best of it, or do I listen to my conscience and say I just can't stomach it? He certainly will accept that, but it is a real bummer to have no alternative plan for this big moment we have all been waiting patiently for. Just stinks.

So, I search daily for fast pass news and swing wildly back in forth between cancellation and trying to think of anything to make the trip more enjoyable. We are seasoned visitors and I cannot fathom being there without fastpasses.

That said, I 100% agree with every word you said! Yet, it is still an extremely difficult decision to cancel. Thanks for listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter