Starting to question the point of rope dropping....

They can always increase the reservation numbers as high as they want to, but the reservation system "forces" you to go when you say you're going to go or be charged for not showing up. Eliminates guests changing their mind and going somewhere else at the last minute if say, the weather is poor.
What does this mean?

I don't know how it is now, but I was there when they opened super early for the Millennium Falcon. It wasn't any pushing and shoving. A lot of the crowd went to GE, a lot to TSL. We were walked back in an orderly manner.
That said, are they still allowing people in early before actual park opening? (at any park)

I think a lot of it depends on how much you want to get done in a day and when, along with what the crowds are like. I imagine during peak season, waits are long all day.

we have only done rope drop a few times- only when the crowds are super high. My theory is that if we go early and wait an hour for rope drop what is the difference of sleeping during that time and then waiting an hour for the ride? We also take Disney pretty leisurely and know that we won’t get everything done in one day in a park.

I actually prefer walking in right around park open when there is a bit of a wait in some lines, but fewer people crowded outside.

It’s just a question of what’s more valuable to you in your vacation- getting the most out of each park or relaxation/sleep. Everyone is different. We’re usually so excited to be in Disney that we’re up super early anyway, ready to go. We do build in some late-start days though (“off” days and our Epcot days). If we were to go on a short trip we’d definitely rope drop to close every day.

But a lot of families, like ours, do not want to get up every day at dawn so we can "have more time in the parks" and, in the past, when we use to do this, our trips were not even close to be as relaxing. Of course, the more time you are in the park the more you can get done, that's so obvious. But, there is nothing better than strolling the parks at night and at MK hearing "The Kiss Goodnight" announcement while walking down main street. No need to rush back to the resort because we didn't have to worry about getting up early the next morning.
For our family we do not want to feel like we have to get up for RD to get what we want to get done and I can say 99% of the time with FP+ we never had to do RD to accomplish this and it was great. I will see how Genie+ plays out and how it will effect us and how we like doing the parks, but it really sounds like we will have to get up earlier than we would like. Time will tell:)
Of course all of this was when WDW hours were open later and we were leaving the park at midnight or later.

Oh, I'm not suggesting you have to rope drop - I'm just saying it's strange that people question why people rope drop when it is basically just a matter of the amount of time you can be inside the park.

I would much, much rather be at the park late at night, but you are still giving up any earlier time that you could have been in the park. My family is more rides-oriented, so I would hate to miss a ride that may have been open in the morning but down for maintaince later in the day.

There's a difference between rope dropping and getting there at open.

For example, if you're one of the first people on Flight of Passage, it's a huge advantage. You get to go ride the Safari and Everest before those wait times build.

However, if you show up at the posted opening time, that's likely going to be Flight of Passage's longest line of the entire day.

If you're willing to get there early enough, it's still the most efficient touring plan. Sure, you're doing your waiting outside the tapstiles, but it saves a lot of time during park hours.

My problem with rope dropping MK specifically now is that we always headed left into Adventureland and Frontier Land first. That whole side of the park isn't operating during the 30 minutes early entry for resort guests (this starts on Oct. 1, right?). I'm not interested in busting my butt in the AM to get there early for the Tomorrowland and Fantasy Land side of the park. My daughter likes BTMRR way more than SDMT. I will always have fond memories of Pandemic rope-dropping.

What do people think rope dropping will look like for off-site guests once the 30-minute early entry program starts next month? Of course, it's impossible to know how many on-site guests will take advantage of early entry each day. But it certainly seems quite possible that rope drop as we knew it will no longer exist for off-site guests. You can show up at 4:00 a.m. if you want in order to guarantee that you are at the very front of the off-site holding line. But still, thousands upon thousands of on-site guests will be ahead of you in the lines. Will it be worth it to wake up and show up that early if, once they let you in, the IA$ rides already have long lines that you will be at the end of?

What do people think rope dropping will look like for off-site guests once the 30-minute early entry program starts next month? Of course, it's impossible to know how many on-site guests will take advantage of early entry each day. But it certainly seems quite possible that rope drop as we knew it will no longer exist for off-site guests. You can show up at 4:00 a.m. if you want in order to guarantee that you are at the very front of the off-site holding line. But still, thousands upon thousands of on-site guests will be ahead of you in the lines. Will it be worth it to wake up and show up that early if, once they let you in, the IA$ rides already have long lines that you will be at the end of?

It depends if they hold offsite guests from entering before official opening or if they let them in but they can’t ride any rides. Kinda how PM EMH worked. How did AM EMH work?

It depends if they hold offsite guests from entering before official opening or if they let them in but they can’t ride any rides.
How would that work? Would off-site guests be able to get in line before opening and try to time it so that they reach the front precisely at--or just after--opening? That would greatly reduce the value of early entry for on-site guests, I think. And what would happen if you got to the front before opening? Would you just keep letting people cut past you until the stroke of 9:00?

It seems to me that, if they let off-site guests in early, they would have to prevent them from even entering the lines until opening. But how would they do that? They would need cast members with wireless scanning devices at the end of every line. Seems unlikely in this age of budget cuts and staffing shortages.

How would that work? Would off-site guests be able to get in line before opening and try to time it so that they reach the front precisely at--or just after--opening? That would greatly reduce the value of early entry for on-site guests, I think. And what would happen if you got to the front before opening? Would you just keep letting people cut past you until the stroke of 9:00?

It seems to me that, if they let off-site guests in early, they would have to prevent them from even entering the lines until opening. But how would they do that? They would need cast members with wireless scanning devices at the end of every line. Seems unlikely in this age of budget cuts and staffing shortages.

I’m wondering how AM EMH used to work. I forget. It’s been so long. I assume it would work the same way but who knows since it’s every park with early entry now. Did they let offsite guests in before 9 am? I know for PM EMH they didn’t kick guests out but you couldnt get on any rides. You had to scan your MB to ride.

I’m wondering how AM EMH used to work. I forget. It’s been so long. I assume it would work the same way but who knows since it’s every park with early entry now. Did they let offsite guests in before 9 am? I know for PM EMH they didn’t kick guests out but you couldnt get on any rides. You had to scan your MB to ride.
Offsite guests could get in the front part of the park, but you had to scan again to get to the different lands/areas.

Offsite guests could get in the front part of the park, but you had to scan again to get to the different lands/areas.
Thanks! Were onsite guests allowed in to the front of the park before the start of EMH, or was everyone let in at the EMH starting time, with offsite guests held in the front of the park and onsite guests allowed to go into the areas/lands?

I'm trying to think through what rope drop will look like come October 1. I can imagine several possibilities. Assume a MK opening time of 9:00. Arranged in order of best for onsite guests to worst for onsite guests:

(1) Onsite guests are let into the park well before 8:30, and then let into the various lands at 8:30. Offsite guests are not allowed into the park until 9:00. (This allows onsite guests to ride multiple rides before the offsite guests make their way into the back of the park. And, after riding their first ride or two, onsite guests will also have a head start in beating the crowds to Adventureland and Frontierland when they open at 9:00.)

(2) Onsite guests are let into the park well before 8:30, and then let into the various lands at 8:30. Offsite guests are allowed into the park at 8:30, but held in the hub until 9:00. (The head start is now greatly reduced.)

(3) Everyone is let into the park well before 8:30. At 8:30, onsite guests can scan into the various lands. Offsite guests are held in the hub until 9:00. (With the hub more crowded, and the need to scan each guest to determine onsite status before allowing them out of the hub, this will greatly slow down the process and result in many onsite guests not getting much of an advantage at all.)

(4) Everyone is let into the park at 8:30. Offsite guests must remain in the hub until 9:00. Onsite guests can go straight to the rides after scanning in again at the various lands. (This slows everything down even more. By the time many onsite guests even make it to their first ride line, the floodgates might have opened.)

(5) Everyone is let into the park well before 8:30 and held in the hub. Rope drop for everyone at 8:30. Offsite guests will be turned away from rides if they try to scan in before 9:00. (The lines will be filled with offsite guests hoping to time it so that they reach the front at or just after 9:00, which will make the lines very long. Little advantage now for onsite guests.)

(6) Everyone is let into the park at 8:30. Offsite guests will be turned away from rides if they try to scan in before 9:00. (Even worse for onsite guests. Perhaps no real advantage at all for most of them.)

As someone who stays onsite, I'm hoping for at least (2), if not (1). But I fear that we will get something worse.

Thanks! Were onsite guests allowed in to the front of the park before the start of EMH, or was everyone let in at the EMH starting time, with offsite guests held in the front of the park and onsite guests allowed to go into the areas/lands?

MK was handled differently than the other parks for AM EMH.
First, off-site guests where not "taken to" the MK gates from the TTC parking lot very early on AM EMH days.
The MK Express monorail and ferry boats were "delayed" (held at TTC) until closer to "regular" opening time.
Since MOST non-WDW resort guests came through TTC in the mornings, those getting to reach and enter at the MK gates were WDW resort guests arriving by resort buses, resort boats, and resort monorails.
And then inside MK, the Hub areas offered CMs scanning of guests' ticket/MB media to check MK resort data before being admitted in the ride areas.

Last edited:
They did have some running, didn't they? I hope.
I thought we'd drive the first day to MK even being onsite just to get the whole MK entrance experience once.
The Resort Monorail also stops at TTC.
At least on certain days, the CMs at boarding there would check for WDW resort IDs
(or check if guests were heading to MK area resorts for breakfast.)

In a nutshell, it all depends on the person which is best for your touring style. For me, getting up early to get to the park for rope drop and ride a thrill ride sounds like torture. I can't throw my hands up and scream that early in the morning. I get up fairly early every day but I need some time to ease into my day. I can enjoy the rides much better at 10am than 8am. And I much rather enjoy staying up later to close the parks.

In a nutshell, it all depends on the person which is best for your touring style. For me, getting up early to get to the park for rope drop and ride a thrill ride sounds like torture. I can't throw my hands up and scream that early in the morning. I get up fairly early every day but I need some time to ease into my day. I can enjoy the rides much better at 10am than 8am. And I much rather enjoy staying up later to close the parks.

This.

My kids wake up early. Even on weekends around 6:30. Our whole group (minus 1) is coming from the Central and Pacific time zones, so our group will wake up naturally early. Rope Drop makes sense for us.

OTOH, We can't do late nights because of many of those reasons. The latest I will be able to keep my kids up is probably 9. So we won't be able to stay late, or even for fireworks. So late night hanging out isn't in our books.

This.

My kids wake up early. Even on weekends around 6:30. Our whole group (minus 1) is coming from the Central and Pacific time zones, so our group will wake up naturally early. Rope Drop makes sense for us.

OTOH, We can't do late nights because of many of those reasons. The latest I will be able to keep my kids up is probably 9. So we won't be able to stay late, or even for fireworks. So late night hanging out isn't in our books.
I trust you know your family/group well - but I think the time zones would normally affect you the opposite way (for instance, when I've travelled to CA from the east coast, I do wake up "early" because my normal wake up time is 7 eastern/4 pacific. Similarly, I go to bed earlier since my normal bedtime would be 3 hours "earlier". So, just in case that's helpful for the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter