Starting to panic!!!!

Tiiiigergirl

<font color=red>Had to be rolled out of the restau
Everything was going well for me healthwise when we booked the trip, but now that it is almost here.......

Well if it can go wrong it seems it is. Gratefully, I've been able to add a disabled room to our reservation, book the electric wheelchair and co-ordinate transportation.

Here is the problem. DS is autistic. I've read in a couple of places that they are only allowing one member of the family to sit with the person in the wheelchair. Both my son and I NEED my DH.

Houston we have a problem!

So do we each have our own GAC? Typically, the extra space afforded a wheelchair was enough space to keep him from being overly stimulated by the crowds. I'm guessing there isn't a stamp that says must share DH!:rotfl2:

I'm sure if you explained the situation nicely to the CM they'd do something to accommodate you, but I don't know what they could put on the GAC. If you both have needs that a GAC can accommodate, you should both get a GAC. My first thought is, if you both need your husband, how are you going to do rides like Buzz where only 2 people can fit in a car at the same time? I suppose you could do something like a baby swap, where he rides twice, once with you and once with your son. I guess that would be a husband swap :rotfl: .

I'm sure other people here will have more advice and suggestions. Good luck and have a great time :thumbsup2 !

Everything was going well for me healthwise when we booked the trip, but now that it is almost here.......

Well if it can go wrong it seems it is. Gratefully, I've been able to add a disabled room to our reservation, book the electric wheelchair and co-ordinate transportation.
If you don't already use a power (electric) wheelchair at home, you won't be able to rent one of those. They drive with a joystick that controls both the speed and the direction you are going. Because they take more experience to drive, the off-site companies that rent them will only rent them to people who already know how to use them. The parks don't rent power wheelchairs.

What you probably want to rent is an ECV (also called electric scooter). There is more information on renting ECVs and wheelchairs on the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Here is the problem. DS is autistic. I've read in a couple of places that they are only allowing one member of the family to sit with the person in the wheelchair. Both my son and I NEED my DH.
Since you have only 3 people, they will not make you split up. Even if your DS was not autistic, you would not be split. In the case of wheelchair seating, you are the person with a disability, but they will not make a minor child sit by themself. If you are asked to split up, just speak up and tell the CM that you need to stay together.
That works for shows, but as OneLittleSpark mentioned, some of ride cars may be a problem. Buzz Lightyear can seat 3 people, but there are only 2 shooters, so only 2 can 'play'.
Since you will have an ECV, you won't be using the wheelchair car, which would have room for only 2. Depending on the size of your child (and you and your DH), you would probably be able to all fit in one car, or you will be in one row of the ride car and your DH would be in the next row with your son. In many cases, people ride 2 parents in the row with one child. When our DDs were very small, we often rode 2 small kids and both adults in the same row.
Here's a link to pictures of ride cars for many rides from the allearsnet website.
So do we each have our own GAC? Typically, the extra space afforded a wheelchair was enough space to keep him from being overly stimulated by the crowds. I'm guessing there isn't a stamp that says must share DH!:rotfl2:
unless you have needs that are not met by just being able to use the ECV in lines and in shows, you should not need a GAC yourself. If you haven't already read the information about GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, it might be helpful to read it.
In any case. I'm making an assumption that you would not ride anything without your DH, so there would be little need for you ro get your own GAC even if you have other needs. Since you would be with your DS, and his GAC would include your whole party (usually up to a total of 6 people), his GAC will cover you.

Thanks for the help!

We do have the ECV reserved, already. I hadn't budgeted for the expense but sometimes it just happens.

What I was panicked about was for the shows. Sue had posted that they had separated her family but then I re-read it and they put her one row up which would be fine. DH settles me into my ride and then rides with our son. Depending on if it looks like I will need more help in or out, he either rides in front of or behind me. Usually in front because I can let gravity sort of help out in getting in and then he is there to help me get out.

I do have another concern, it seems like there are a lot more rides that require a switch to a wheelchair for the queue. I have limited upper body strength and my backside does not fit happily in a standard size wheelchair. I do have my personal chair that is an extra two inches and it makes all the difference. However, that will be back at the hotel so DH doesn't have to wear himself out and it is a vacation. But if my DS is having a bad time, then DH really won't be able to push me because he will need to be available to focus on our son. I can walk short distances for short periods. I'm hoping this won't happen but can you think how they can help accommodate us?

Sorry, I'm not constructing great sentences but hopefully some of this is making sense to someone.

Sue had posted that they had separated her family but then I re-read it and they put her one row up which would be fine. DH settles me into my ride and then rides with our son. Depending on if it looks like I will need more help in or out, he either rides in front of or behind me. Usually in front because I can let gravity sort of help out in getting in and then he is there to help me get out.
I thought of where you had read that after I got to work and could not post.
Our situation is DD uses a wheelchair. Since I am an adult, I guess they figure I can take care of myself :hippie:
Seriously, if they do separate you, the rest of your family will be nearby.
I do have another concern, it seems like there are a lot more rides that require a switch to a wheelchair for the queue. I have limited upper body strength and my backside does not fit happily in a standard size wheelchair. I do have my personal chair that is an extra two inches and it makes all the difference. However, that will be back at the hotel so DH doesn't have to wear himself out and it is a vacation. But if my DS is having a bad time, then DH really won't be able to push me because he will need to be available to focus on our son. I can walk short distances for short periods. I'm hoping this won't happen but can you think how they can help accommodate us?

Sorry, I'm not constructing great sentences but hopefully some of this is making sense to someone.
it does make sense.
Check out the link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities on the FAQs thread. That will tell you which rides require a transfer. Some may be attractions you are not planning on riding anyway.
And, some require a transfer for the very large 4 wheel park rental ECVs, but don't for the smaller, more manouverable off-site ones.
Hopefully someone else can help with experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter