• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Started/Completed your 2021 taxes yet?

Christmas decorations are MLK weekend.
Taxes are President's Day weekend.

It can't be sooner b/c I never have all the forms before Feb. Even now, my spouse's W-2 has not made it, let alone all the rinky dink forms...

No. W-2s and 1099s not received yet and one of the 1099s I usually don't get until the first week in February.

Got my W-2 from work, to go with my taxable IRA withdrawal W-2. Still waiting on my wife's W-2, our investment 1099s and bank 1099s. It will be interesting to seem what if any impact only working 7 months of the year will have on our taxes. We seem to be in an odd pattern of owing a couple of hundred to the state, and getting several thousand back from the Feds. Wish the withholding tables actually were close to what your owed tax is going to be.

Got my W-2 from work, to go with my taxable IRA withdrawal W-2. Still waiting on my wife's W-2, our investment 1099s and bank 1099s. It will be interesting to seem what if any impact only working 7 months of the year will have on our taxes. We seem to be in an odd pattern of owing a couple of hundred to the state, and getting several thousand back from the Feds. Wish the withholding tables actually were close to what your owed tax is going to be.

Ours is opposite. Owe a little to fed, owed several hundred back from state of CA.

I REALLY wish the state at least had an accurate withholding calculator. We are never even close. We owed a little to state in 2020 and in an effort to not owe, I made a SLIGHT change to our state withholding and it was off by almost $400. What gives? It's frustrating.

Ours is opposite. Owe a little to fed, owed several hundred back from state of CA.

I REALLY wish the state at least had an accurate withholding calculator. We are never even close. We owed a little to state in 2020 and in an effort to not owe, I made a SLIGHT change to our state withholding and it was off by almost $400. What gives? It's frustrating.
Decades ago when it was still legal, we opted out of using the withholding tables and had a specific percentage withheld. Our CPA told us how what percentage to us, and it was within $100 for both state and federal.

Haven't received anywhere near all our forms yet. We both got our 1099's from FL Retirement, but we have several investment reports still pending. I'll be interested to see how DW's managed accounts did on taxable income.

I’m always amazed at the early filers. We won’t get investment information for at least a few more weeks, but at this point we haven’t gotten anything besides our mortgage statement. No W-2s, 1099s, nothing.

I probably could go looking for the paperwork online but why? I work hard to only have a slight amount due, and see no reason to pay that until April.

I’m always amazed at the early filers. We won’t get investment information for at least a few more weeks, but at this point we haven’t gotten anything besides our mortgage statement. No W-2s, 1099s, nothing.

I probably could go looking for the paperwork online but why? I work hard to only have a slight amount due, and see no reason to pay that until April.

I always get all our statements electronically by the end of Jan. I don't even get any in the mail because I opted out of paper delivery of everything. We usually get a small refund and the earlier you file in that situation, the better. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to process the return and get the refund.

I’m always amazed at the early filers.
Typically it's worked out the best for us to file as early as possible because more than once it's been advised those who didn't (and sometimes not even that long after we have filed) will have a delay in their refunds. I do understand that for those who watch it like a hawk and make it so they don't get much if any refund it doesn't much matter and if you know you're going to owe you'd probably not be in a hurry unless you just want to get it done and over with.

I always get all our statements electronically by the end of Jan. I don't even get any in the mail because I opted out of paper delivery of everything.
For us over time various student loan servicers require you to download the document before a certain date otherwise you won't get access online (even if you have paperless statements which all of mine are that way) and it'll be mailed to you. You'd get an e-mail when it's ready but you gotta check your e-mail frequently enough to catch it

One of my student loans gave me 5 days to view it and if I didn't it'd be mailed. That deadline is tomorrow and I was able to catch the e-mail in enough time to get it downloaded. Checking that one it appears in 2019 and 2020 I didn't view it in enough time because I don't have access to it electronically.

yeah...I just asked my husband this question because he said "taxes done and paid".....but he meant, taxes are done, payment put aside, but waiting on paperwork from Vanguard, Fidelity and the state of NJ. He did go looking for info online and said he will just have to make a minor adjustment here or there. I guess he just wanted to bulk of it out of the way...he does the taxes without professional help, and so most of the work is done.

Vanguard online says brokerage forms will be available sometime between 1/30 and 2/26. No point in starting yet for me.

My Fidelity account says 2/12, but I have to check on DW's stuff.

Almost done, last form is coming in the mail today.

A note for others who didn't know like me:
The third stimulus payment was an advance on a 2021 credit. When paid out in 2021 the IRS used your 2020 income to determine eligibility. My 2020 income was beyond the threshold so I receive nothing when the checks were sent out but my 2021 income was not above the upper end. I am getting a several thousand dollar credit I was not expecting.

Don't forget to calculate if you are owed the credit!

We did ours actually probably not too long after I wrote my comment. Things actually came in earlier than normal this year which was nice.

Federal return was accepted and refund is scheduled to be deposited on 2/1.

State hasn't started accepting online yet so we'll be waiting a bit longer for that.

I always seem to be ready to do mine by Superbowl Sunday, so that's usually what I do while I ignore the game in the background.

Are any of you Disney Stock holders? Have you received your tax form (I think its a 1099) from them yet? I think that's the last one I'm waiting on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter