Star Wars themed lands announced for DL and DHS

I'm sad about DL not getting a Toy Story area too. That would be awesome. I'm not really sad about losing Toontown but I hope they relocate some of the houses to some other area. I agree that Toontown is a little sad and there's very little to do there.

I'm still glad it will be there for my trip next month. Too bad my kid won't remember it because she's only 2. I wonder if it will be closed down by our trip for her 3rd bday

If they keep Toontown, they have got to freshen it up and show it some attention -- even to just add in a new restaurant would be better than nothing! Or... they can just turn it into Toy Story Land! :idea: :lmao: Maybe that will be announced at the 2017 Expo! :lmao:

I still think there must be more secret plans for DCA as part of the billion dollar expansion. I don't think that park is anywhere near finished yet. Other than the new Soarin' - which we know about -- I suspect that something Marvel-ish will eventually go into DCA, or maybe they will do something in the Paradise Pier area.

New Soarin'?

Soarin' Around the World -- coming to both DLR and WDW next year! That was the only thing announced for DCA today.

You rock Sherry! Thanks for all of the real time updates! You're right, it is a lot to process. Star Wars Launch Bay (this is going into Innoventions, right?) will at least provide some SW flavor this year with the release of TFA. Very mixed emotions about having SW Land within Disneyland itself, but I just love the idea of having an actual SW Land. One thing is for certain...DHS in WDW is going to be jammed packed when all of these projects are complete, and DLR even moreso than it is now. But if it spreads the crowds out by taking folks into a space that currently doesn't attract a lot numbers, so be it (my family enjoys Toontown and will be sad to lose Mickey and Minnie's house though).

You're welcome! Yes, as far as I can tell, the Launch Bay is going into Innoventions, along with "the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with super heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries." That will all be open this year.

The new Star Tours will be open this year.

I suspect there will be a premiere of the new Star Wars movie in the Magic Eye Theater this year too. So, Tomorrowland is becoming Star Wars central -- even though it appears that the actual land will not go into Tomorrowland!

Hyperspace Mountain will be open early next year, along with the whole "Season of the Force" business.

I'm not sure when the reimagined Jedi Training Academy with the new villain will begin -- I am guessing later this year.

I think there would have to be at least 2 (probably 3) entrance points for Star Wars Land, just to keep the crowds moving. Otherwise, it will be a nightmare.

Now the Disney parks blog said there would be a "season of the force". What season is that? How long does it last? Will it go away quickly?

I feel like WDW deserves a Toy Story land since we have SUCH an amazing Cars Land. And is it just me or does Rivers of Light sound rather similar to World of Color?...

And back to Star Wars Land, I wonder is there a glimmer of hope all of Toon Town and the Ranch won't be taken out? Any map and/or math gurus out there amongst the DIS who know how much land 14 acres is by chance with regards to DL park? Is that how much space they have in offices? A girl can hope!

Now the Disney parks blog said there would be a "season of the force". What season is that? How long does it last? Will it go away quickly?

It's next year, in the off season -- just like Frozen Fun was this year. Hyperspace Mountain won't last forever.

It's not just the Parks Blog -- it's also in the link to the press release I posted.

I feel like WDW deserves a Toy Story land since we have SUCH an amazing Cars Land. And is it just me or does Rivers of Light sound rather similar to World of Color?...

And back to Star Wars Land, I wonder is there a glimmer of hope all of Toon Town and the Ranch won't be taken out? Any map and/or math gurus out there amongst the DIS who know how much land 14 acres is by chance with regards to DL park? Is that how much space they have in offices? A girl can hope!

Although... WDW has tons of things that we don't have, all over the place! All of those hotels. A new Fantasyland. Pandora. They almost got a Cars Land! It's not like they're hurting for new stuff. We have a Toontown that is being sorely neglected and A Bug's Land seems past its prime. It wouldn't hurt to turn one of them into Toy Story Land. It may come along somewhere down the road. TS4 opens in June 2017, and there will be another Expo in 2017. We'll see if we get any new Toy Story things -- even just an expansion of the TSMM ride.

I think that if both TT and the Ranch don't get taken out at once, then one of them will go. I don't think they will both survive, but one of them might.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind walking around Star Wars Land, but I don't think it belongs in Disneyland. It would be the first land that belongs to a single property there. I think they should fit it somewhere in California Adventure instead ( *cough*bugsland*cough*).

Also, both rides sound like they're possibly in the same vein as Star Tours (in front of a screen) which would be a HUGE bummer. If they're going to build a new land, I hope to see some serious innovation.

And also am seriously afraid for Toon Town. My son loves it so much and I grew up with it!

With all this going on, I don't suppose they have any plans to do anything with that back lot place Hollywood Land in DCA. I was thinking this summer it is such a mish mash. You have Mad Tea Party going on with Monster's Inc, a Frozen sing along, and that building back there not being used. I think that place is in need of something to unify it and bring it together.

DL just bought a bunch of land on Manchester- I thought rumors are they'd move some of the backstage offices over there. I did the Neverland 5K this past May and there is a ton or acerage behind Toontown and Big Thunder Ranch - maybe one or both will be saved and SW Land will be in what is currently backstage office buildings and warehouses.

With all this going on, I don't suppose they have any plans to do anything with that back lot place Hollywood Land in DCA. I was thinking this summer it is such a mish mash. You have Mad Tea Party going on with Monster's Inc, a Frozen sing along, and that building back there not being used. I think that place is in need of something to unify it and bring it together.

:lmao: I know what you mean. Hollywood Land is not cohesive. As you said, we've got Monsters, Inc., Frozen, the Mad T Party and the Trolley against a backdrop of 1930s Hollywood (I think it's supposed to be 1930s/1940s Hollywood, isn't it?). Oh, and Tower of Terror, which doesn't even seem like it's in Hollywood Land -- it seems like it is removed from it.

I was on board with a mini-Monsters Land, when that was the rumor a year or two ago. I guess that got scrapped.

Olaf's Snow Fest is coming back too, so Frozen will once again be dominating that entire land.

But, supposedly, according to MiceAge, Marvel Land is eventually coming along somewhere behind Hollywood Land. It was not announced today, but we might see it before the time limit for the billion dollar expansion is up (2024).

Is it confirmed that toontown is where this is going? DH and I are speculating that they may take out Autopia/subs/old riverboat area/ innoventions and put it there at the back of tomorrow land. They just put a ton of money into the subs and would they get rid of an opening day attraction? Not sure. But it makes a lot more sense there. They could keep Space as hyperspace Mt, retheme Pizza Port and the store there and have that whole right half of tomorrowland kind of lead back to Star Wars land.

Is it confirmed that toontown is where this is going?...

No. And no official word at all today as to where except for "Disneyland" so we know it won't be in DCA. The overwhelming rumor is Toontown/Big Thunder Ranch, but it is all speculation right now!

I'm late to this party. But my first thought was that it would take over the submarines and autopia. Am I the only one with that thought? I think the acreage would be about right. And it could link up with Innoventions, where apparently they'll put Season of the Force. Indeed, I suspect they're including the Innoventions building in that 14 acres.

I don't think that ToonTown alone would give them enough acreage. Unless they also took out Fantasyland Theatre and Big Thunder Ranch. Possible, I suppose. But I like the submarines/autopia theory. And I wouldn't be at all sad to see those go.

Bob

Mickey and Minnie's houses are well done, but their footprint is small and they could easily be moved to the space next to Casey Junior or the motor boat area.

i really hope they keep mickey and minnie's houses somewhere. getting rid of them with the FL expansion at MK was hard enough, but made easy by telling kids they still had houses at DL.

I'm late to this party. But my first thought was that it would take over the submarines and autopia. Am I the only one with that thought? I think the acreage would be about right. And it could link up with Innoventions, where apparently they'll put Season of the Force. Indeed, I suspect they're including the Innoventions building in that 14 acres.

I don't think that ToonTown alone would give them enough acreage. Unless they also took out Fantasyland Theatre and Big Thunder Ranch. Possible, I suppose. But I like the submarines/autopia theory. And I wouldn't be at all sad to see those go.

Bob

Bob -- I've seen that same thought tossed about in cyberspace. Didn't they just recently spend a lot of money to freshen up the Subs, though? They will certainly keep the Subs running next year, when Finding Dory comes out. But supposedly they may not begin work on Star Wars Land/Galaxy/Universe until 2017, so who knows?

It certainly seems like Tomorrowland would make the most sense, since they already have a Star Wars-themed ride there, as well as the Jedi Training Academy, and now the upcoming Hyperspace Mountain, the Launch Bay, etc.

There are some people who seem to think the whole thing could be done without tearing down Toontown, but that the land would be built behind Toontown, and would have an access point where Big Thunder Ranch is right now. So the Ranch would have to go, sadly. There are others who think that both Toontown and the Ranch would have to go. And then there are others who think that neither of those things will go, but that the Subs and Autopia would go. :lmao:

Disney was very unhelpful in giving us any ideas of where this mysterious land will end up, and what would have to be taken out. They probably want to ease us into the loss (of whatever we lose) gradually, as opposed to a "Hey, everyone, guess what? We've got all this new Star Wars stuff coming your way, and a new Soarin' too, but we're also taking out [fill in the blank]!!" :lmao:

It's obvious that they are not putting much effort into keeping Toontown alive and vibrant, so it seems that would be a likely casualty (maybe they could keep half of it?). Also, at the Festival Arena part of the Ranch this year, they're already cutting out the pumpkin carvers, Pirates League and the Conjure a Villain tent (all of which would be part of the Halloween Carnival) -- unless something has changed -- so it's almost like they are beginning the process of getting people used to that area not being active., even if it doesn't get razed until 2017.

I just don't get why would they put Star Wars in Disneyland! Wouldn't it be better to have it at DCA? I don't want to see princesses on one side and then look the other way and see Darth Vader!
I feel like it's a bit out of place. At least Hollywood Studios at Disney World is getting the expansion there!

I would have preferred to see a remake of Tomorrowland. That land needs help, I swear. It's my favorite land but it's getting rusty.

Bob -- I've seen that same thought tossed about in cyberspace. Didn't they just recently spend a lot of money to freshen up the Subs, though? They will certainly keep the Subs running next year, when Finding Dory comes out. But supposedly they may not begin work on Star Wars Land/Galaxy/Universe until 2017, so who knows?

Thanks for the reply, Sherry. I dunno - did they spend a lot of money? Yeah, they did a refurb. But refurbs are pretty common. My theory goes like this. Remember that the rumor about that "refurb" was that it was really a shutdown, and wouldn't reopen. So my theory is that they were planning to take it out for Star Wars Land; but then SW Land got delayed, and in order to save face and not give anything away, they refurb'ed and continued operating.

But since posting I've now looked at Miceage, and I see that Al Lutz says that it's going in at Toontown and Big Thunder Ranch. I know there's no love lost for Al around here, and he is wrong a lot. But he's also right a lot, so I don't totally discount him.

I guess we'll see in time. I wonder when Disney will fess up to what's being taken out, as you put it. ;)

Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter