Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

A friend of mine just asked if anyone thinks that the 5 (which I even doubt) or the 10k will open back up in the future?

Not running related, but just a quick announcement that there is a new Baby Yoda Disney Visa card design if anyone is interested
My BB-8 visa is getting chewed by the chip readers! I might have to get a new one anyway...

Do we think that might be a good sign for the event to be happening, or are they getting rid of it in anticipation of making a switch to virtual? I'm hoping we might hear something soon.

I don’t think there’s any relationship between the merch and the event in April. Anything planned or ordered to support April’s race weekend would be arriving much closer to the race weekend, not this early. If we want to look for any signs on whether the weekend might be held in person, I think we need to watch what‘s happening with the parks. Increasing park capacities and re-introducing park hopping are both positive developments on that front.

As for hearing something, I really hope we don’t hear anything soon. Anything we hear now can only be “we’re cancelling/converting to virtual”. The longer we go without that announcement, the more likely we’ll actually get an in-person weekend. No news is good news has never been more applicable!

Do we think that might be a good sign for the event to be happening, or are they getting rid of it in anticipation of making a switch to virtual? I'm hoping we might hear something soon.
Actually, I wonder if this might be some the non race specific merchandise from the Star Wars 2020 races which they held for holiday shopping...? The non race specific shirts look like the type you would see at the expo.

Last edited:
I am hoping Disney is waiting right now before deciding. Lots of things happening with different events coming up.

Ironman last week cancelled their 70.3 in Haines City for December 13th. Tampa moved their Gasparilla event from January to April which now has people panicking about the Gasparilla races in February. I got an email to hold tight & not speculate as they continue to monitor the situation, but are still planning on the February dates for live racing.

How's everyone else doing training wise? I am up to running 3 miles pretty ok without feeling too terribly awful :banana:

I am hoping Disney is waiting right now before deciding. Lots of things happening with different events coming up.

Ironman last week cancelled their 70.3 in Haines City for December 13th. Tampa moved their Gasparilla event from January to April which now has people panicking about the Gasparilla races in February. I got an email to hold tight & not speculate as they continue to monitor the situation, but are still planning on the February dates for live racing.

How's everyone else doing training wise? I am up to running 3 miles pretty ok without feeling too terribly awful :banana:
I just really hope they decide to push Gasparilla to mobile in February or live in April before my training plan starts December 14th ... aside from training for that I most likely won’t commit to anything for the foreseeable future

Actually, I wonder if this might be some the non race specific merchandise from the Star Wars 2020 races which they held for holiday shopping...? The non race specific shirts look like the type you would see at the expo.
I held off on purchasing a custom baby Yoda nap shirt sold in the Magic Kingdom back in January because I hoped for a baby Yoda nap challenge shirt in April. Looks like it's finally come.
Concerns me that there is "the child" merchandise... seems like that would be used for 2021 races not 2020... sigh
In looking at the other designs, I think it originally going to be sold for 2020, but repurposed to be non year specific. Yoda and Darth Vader were both going to be on the original 1/2 medal if I remember correctly and now they're showing up on shirts available now.

I have no background designing fashion but sometimes looking at Disney merchandise, I don't believe the people in charge of it do either.
That is fairly normal but at the same time when I think something isn't good people often love it. rD Instagrammers certainly love this stuff.

Do we expect the medal designs to be released this month? I’m really hoping they stick with Ahsoka/Maul for the 5K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter