• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Do we expect the medal designs to be released this month? I’m really hoping they stick with Ahsoka/Maul for the 5K.
When the race inevitably gets announced as going virtual in the next week or so when training plans begin to start medals should be revealed

Given the circumstances, I don't. Think they'll wait until at least January, everything depends on if they go virtual again.
When the race inevitably gets announced as going virtual in the next week or so when training plans begin to start medals should be revealed
I remember the medal designs were released in mid December last year. I wonder if it will be the same for this year.

I remember the medal designs were released in mid December last year. I wonder if it will be the same for this year.
Yeah, they've done both December and January for releases. I just think they'll wait as long as they can before making a final decision to go forward with this one.

Given the circumstances, I don't. Think they'll wait until at least January, everything depends on if they go virtual again.

Yeah and that is still a possibility unfortunatly. I saw an interview with Fauchi reccently and he was talking about Summer before general population can get vaccine and late summer to get sufficent people vaccinated though on the positive side he did say he could see a scenario where when the NFL kicks off in september that could have mostly full stadiums.

So yeah I could see a scenario where they virtual this one, focus on November for W&D and require proof of vaccination.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but still not as close as I know I'd like. But with good news starting I do see disney waiting as long as they can before deciding.

I honestly think Disney will hold off on Live Races for the time being especially since Disneyland isn't even open yet domestically and I'd assume they'd want all six parks and possibly even DCL running smoothly and safely before the focus on extras like RunDisney

I honestly think Disney will hold off on Live Races for the time being especially since Disneyland isn't even open yet domestically and I'd assume they'd want all six parks and possibly even DCL running smoothly and safely before the focus on extras like RunDisney
At the same time, if they are able to safely do so, I could see them choosing to hold a race regardless of Disneyland and the Cruise Lines being available because it's a possible revenue stream when those revenue streams are almost entirely shut down. Again I think they would only do so if they can safely do so.

Disney has been ready and very much wanting to reopen Disneyland for months now with restrictions. It's the California Governor that is keeping a lot of businesses shut down, not just Disneyland.

Yeah and that is still a possibility unfortunatly. I saw an interview with Fauchi reccently and he was talking about Summer before general population can get vaccine and late summer to get sufficent people vaccinated though on the positive side he did say he could see a scenario where when the NFL kicks off in september that could have mostly full stadiums.

So yeah I could see a scenario where they virtual this one, focus on November for W&D and require proof of vaccination.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but still not as close as I know I'd like. But with good news starting I do see disney waiting as long as they can before deciding.
FWIW the mayor of my city is hoping to get 70 percent of the population vaccinated by the end of May. Pretty ambitious, but I've gotten the sense that there's more optimism regarding the vaccine lately.

FWIW the mayor of my city is hoping to get 70 percent of the population vaccinated by the end of May. Pretty ambitious, but I've gotten the sense that there's more optimism regarding the vaccine lately.

Supply and distribution is going to be the issue. I seriously doubt we are going to be at vaccines available for people that are not in at-risk groups by May but it would be great if we were. The whole process has gone a lot faster then I expected so I wouldn't be completely shocked if distribution goes faster then expected but right now summer for non at-risk people seems the most likely.

carp!!!! NYC cancelled the March 14 half marathon they hold.... carp, salmon, catfish!!!!!!!! Sugar Honey Iced Tea!!!
Meanwhile in Florida despite the pirate invasion/parade being moved to April two weeks ago they are still pushing for the Gaspirilla Distance Classic to be live in February (by months end though I fully expect it will either be virtual in February just due to everything being dated or them pushing for a live April race)

Meanwhile in Florida despite the pirate invasion/parade being moved to April two weeks ago they are still pushing for the Gaspirilla Distance Classic to be live in February (by months end though I fully expect it will either be virtual in February just due to everything being dated or them pushing for a live April race)

Here in atlanta ATC is still doing their marathon/half marathon at end of februrary BUT they are moving it to Atlanta Motor Speedway and doing very staggered start time

Just looked this up (I'm pretty unfamiliar with the festival but I've heard of the race) and 1. it sounds like a lot of fun 2. same weekend as Rival Run so taking a drive over would be doable 3. but not sure how I'd feel about that crowd just yet 😬.

Just looked this up (I'm pretty unfamiliar with the festival but I've heard of the race) and 1. it sounds like a lot of fun 2. same weekend as Rival Run so taking a drive over would be doable 3. but not sure how I'd feel about that crowd just yet 😬.
The race normally is the weekend of princess (and as of now is still planned for February despite the rest of the event moved to April 🙄)
As of 10/21 5,000 cap per race (idk of challenge bibs are included in this cap but for the 5k it states an added 500 for walk & stroller run making the overall 5k cap 6,000)

only runners in staging area temp checks before entering and assigned time slots to enter

they will stage/release 8 rows of four runners per minute (so 32 runners crossing the start per minute vs normal 1,200)first runners start 530am with last runners starting 745am for the first event of the day (15k sat/half sun with the 5k/8k starting at 930 on their respective days)
Face coverings mandatory when not on course
Encouraged to bring own hydration but will be limited water stops on course
Post race no after party... medals will be given in a goodie bag with post race snacks

no spectators/crowd support

The new merch made me wonder if we'll be getting a Mando/Baby Yoda medal next year.
If they opt to change the medals from last year, I'm about 99.99999% positive that we're seeing a Mando/baby Yoda medal next year. And should they choose to go virtual, whichever race has that medal will sell out. I just hope they don't do it for the kids races or the 5K. If the race happens live, there's no way I can make the 5K.

is it bad that I got the refund for marathon because it’s too pricy for a virtual (I only did W&D cause it was the 5th anniversary of the 10k and I’ve ran it since the inaugural) but if Star Wars goes virtual and a non kids race has a Grogu medal Disney can take my $$$$$

is it bad that I got the refund for marathon because it’s too pricy for a virtual (I only did W&D cause it was the 5th anniversary of the 10k and I’ve ran it since the inaugural) but if Star Wars goes virtual and a non kids race has a Grogu medal Disney can take my $$$$$

I'm there with you. I think the virtual races are too expensive but Grogu I'm in for... and my mom will likely also try to take the medal from me (she did get my R2 and BB8 ones).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter