Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

I signed up for the 10k, then cancelled my Kessel challenge so I would get my $405 back. It took me to a webpage rather quickly since I was already signed in. I clicked on the "refund" bar and it processed, but doesn't send you an email or anything that states I chose the refund. That annoyed me a little. I don't remember that process for the W&D I cancelled, but it may have been the same.
Yeah it would have been really nice to get an email confirmation, that's weirdly been an issue with another race I had signed up for (this year's Brooklyn Half, which I decided to hold my place for next year). Not sure why they're not able to handle that.

I signed up for the 10k, then cancelled my Kessel challenge so I would get my $405 back. It took me to a webpage rather quickly since I was already signed in. I clicked on the "refund" bar and it processed, but doesn't send you an email or anything that states I chose the refund. That annoyed me a little. I don't remember that process for the W&D I cancelled, but it may have been the same.
Yep, exactly the same for W&D. And Marathon Weekend. And Star Wars 2020. I know the routine entirely too well now. ~sigh~ I take a screen shot of the "confirmation" page that doesn't really say anything and email it to myself: at least then I know what day I canceled when I inevitably start wondering "where is my refund?"

Oh thanks for the reminder, I was thinking it was in another half hour. Just stuck on the "Thank you for your patience screen"...oh dear!

EDIT: No problem with registering once I got into the site. Signed up for my first Kessel Run. I decided that I won't be cancelling my original Virtual Marathon registration as it's just not cost effective due to the hefty cancelation or upgrade processing fee. Will end up with two Virtual medals, along with the now Virtual Rival Run medal and the Kessel Run medal. Not going to run three half's though...lol Two will be crazy enough for my old bones.

Registration upgrade update: I tried to follow the upgrade instructions as provided by runDisney in my previous post to transition the virtual half to a Kessel Run Challenge and the site did not allow. The relevant 'buttons' as they described were not on the Edit Registrations page. Ended up registering for the Kessel Run Challenge anyhow and sent a follow-up email to runDisney that instructions as provided did not work.

Good luck and have fun with your races everyone!

Turns out there is no way (that I saw) to cancel via rD login. So I just went through my email. Thanks for the cancelation help everyone :)

I take a screen shot of the "confirmation" page that doesn't really say anything and email it to myself: at least then I know what day I canceled when I inevitably start wondering "where is my refund?"

lol, yup. I did the same thing. Afterwards I started thinking about it, like 'well this doesn't really say anything' but at least it's better than nothing. ^^'

Good idea re: refund tracking. Didn't think about using it like that.

Registration upgrade update: I tried to follow the upgrade instructions as provided by runDisney in my previous post to transition the virtual half to a Kessel Run Challenge and the site did not allow. The relevant 'buttons' as they described were not on the Edit Registrations page. Ended up registering for the Kessel Run Challenge anyhow and sent a follow-up email to runDisney that instructions as provided did not work.

Will you post back when you hear something back from rD? I'd be curious to see what they tell you. Especially about the fees since there was no choice but to re-register.

Wow, registration was pretty painless... it only took ~10 minutes from start to finish lol.

Also, it didn't ask to "choose a side," right? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cancel your original registration from the website? Or is it only through the email?

I let it keep cycling while I switched to my remote work session, checking back every minute or so. Got in eventually.

Will you post back when you hear something back from rD? I'd be curious to see what they tell you. Especially about the fees since there was no choice but to re-register.

Hello friends, a happy update! Heard back from rD rep and they are considering a refund (minus fees). Was asked to provide registration details from original Virtual Half registration, and today's Kessel Run Challenge registration for their review. Said it could take up to two weeks and they will follow-up with an email once complete.

Might be worth a try reaching out to rD to inquire if you find yourselves in a similar situation. Their email response time has been very good!

Did my cancellation though my TA. Hated to have to cancel again but things are what they are right now.

Still heading to WDW in a few weeks and plan to have a fun time especially since I'm not sure when my next trip/race will be.

Just heard that 2022 will be re-themed to NOT being Star Wars.

Disney Food Blog video, go to 11:30 min....

Anyone hear anything similar to this?

*sigh* Just got a reminder e-mail today from Disney that I still need to make a selection on what to do with my Rival Run Challenge reistration.

Unlike a lot of the other participants on this board, I've never really been a big Star Wars fan, I always fell more on the ST TNG/DS9/VOY end of the spectrum. So when the themes were announced for 2020, I loved how accessible they were. Now looking at 2021 being the last "running," I'm debating keeping the virtual registration just to finally run the last weekend I haven't gotten with themed shirts I would actually enjoy (particularly the spaceship challenge shirt).

It's just hard to justify spending so much money on a virtual race. Marine Corps marathon, when it went virtual, gave out a really high quality technical shirt, shirt patch, very nice medal (2 in my case) and a wonderful face mask for $45.

Last edited:
*sigh* Just got a reminder e-mail today from Disney that I still need to make a selection on what to do with my Rival Run Challenge reistration.

Did everyone get these again today? I made all of our selections Monday, but received the reminder email for all of our entries again today. This doesn't instill confidence since they don't send confirmation emails when you make your choice

Did everyone get these again today? I made all of our selections Monday, but received the reminder email for all of our entries again today. This doesn't instill confidence since they don't send confirmation emails when you make your choice
Yes, received mine again as well.

I did get this, and oddly it included the confirmation that as of now I’ve chosen a refund (it should be in yours as well?), so that was nice.

Yes. I got them today, as well. They confirm your initial choice and allows you to change it if you’ve reconsidered.

The Disney gift card can be used for all Disney right? The email made it unclear to me if it was a "Disney" or "Run Disney" gift card. Pretty sure I am going for the galaxy option. Not a huge fan of the shirts but I want a reason to train. Pretty sure I am keeping the April trip I scheduled, as well. I may just run the half the week before getting down there. I did the W&D virtually. Now this one. I just like an excuse to run. Kind of bummed I am 0/2 on Disney Runs. Boo to you, 2020! May the vaccine be delivered swiftly and safely!

I did get this, and oddly it included the confirmation that as of now I’ve chosen a refund (it should be in yours as well?), so that was nice.

🤦‍♂️ Maybe I should read the whole thing. I stopped reading at "IF YOU'VE ALREADY MADE YOUR SELECTION...NO ACTION IS REQUIRED" not thinking there was new information in the emails

The Disney gift card can be used for all Disney right? The email made it unclear to me if it was a "Disney" or "Run Disney" gift card. Pretty sure I am going for the galaxy option. Not a huge fan of the shirts but I want a reason to train. Pretty sure I am keeping the April trip I scheduled, as well. I may just run the half the week before getting down there. I did the W&D virtually. Now this one. I just like an excuse to run. Kind of bummed I am 0/2 on Disney Runs. Boo to you, 2020! May the vaccine be delivered swiftly and safely!
Correct, it doesn't have to be used for RD stuff.

Sigh. Got to thinking about it...I've done the last two Virtual Half Marathons, wasn't planning on this one...saw the medal and said "oh what the heck."

So now I've got a 5K, a 10K, and a half on my plate for 1st quarter 2021!

I submitted my choice for a full refund and sent an email requesting a new e-gift card since I'm not sure which one I used when I registered. I also asked about a refund for the pre-purchased products I ordered....has anybody heard anything about refunds for that part of all this?

Also...this was the straw that broke the camel's back....sent me spiraling head first into "covid fatigue" mourning. So tired of trying to be upbeat and optimistic when all the things I love keep getting cancelled or changed. *sigh* I'll get over it eventually, but for now....sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter