Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Yeah I’d call or email. I know elsewhere someone contacted rD and they were able to get it sorted out that they would be refunded the difference excluding the processing fees.
Thanks! I knew I had read in the past what others had tried, but I couldn't remember how they went about it or the outcome.

Not yet, I was waiting to try to call tomorrow. Maybe @rteetz has some insight?

Same question here about upgrading virtual half to virtual Kessel Challenge. I reached out to runDisney and here's what came back as a reply on Friday, Dec. 11:

"You can now upgrade your Star Wars Rival Run registration to the Virtual runDisney Kessel Run Challenge on our website. To do so, please visit your runDisney dashboard, click on "My Registrations," then select “Edit Registration” for your Virtual Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon registration. To proceed with upgrading, select “Registration Options” then “Switch Categories.” You'll be able to choose a Virtual runDisney Kessel Run Challenge option on the pop-up window, keeping in mind options are subject to availability. You will be provided with an amount due for the price difference between your current and new registration with an additional $45 transfer fee. After you update the necessary fields, please select “Switch and Pay” to finalize your changes."

Have not done this myself in the past so will be an experiment on Tuesday. Good luck!

Same question here about upgrading virtual half to virtual Kessel Challenge. I reached out to runDisney and here's what came back as a reply on Friday, Dec. 11:

"You can now upgrade your Star Wars Rival Run registration to the Virtual runDisney Kessel Run Challenge on our website. To do so, please visit your runDisney dashboard, click on "My Registrations," then select “Edit Registration” for your Virtual Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon registration. To proceed with upgrading, select “Registration Options” then “Switch Categories.” You'll be able to choose a Virtual runDisney Kessel Run Challenge option on the pop-up window, keeping in mind options are subject to availability. You will be provided with an amount due for the price difference between your current and new registration with an additional $45 transfer fee. After you update the necessary fields, please select “Switch and Pay” to finalize your changes."

Have not done this myself in the past so will be an experiment on Tuesday. Good luck!
Thanks, looking at my dashboard right now and the Registration Options selection isn't there. Possibly it will be available on Tuesday? IDK The $45 transfer fee is rather steep. That's just a bit less than what I spent on the Virtual to begin with. It's almost not worth transferring and just purchasing the full Kessel Run and ending up with an extra Virtual medal instead. Right?

Thanks, looking at my dashboard right now and the Registration Options selection isn't there. Possibly it will be available on Tuesday? IDK

I didn't log in myself to check yet. But you're probably right about Tuesday.

The $45 transfer fee is rather steep. That's just a bit less than what I spent on the Virtual to begin with. It's almost not worth transferring and just purchasing the full Kessel Run and ending up with an extra Virtual medal instead. Right?

Nice to see a like mind... lol :)

Ironically, I was at WDW when the news broke, so I'm late showing up here. I have nothing nice to say about the cancelation, because, while I had prepared myself for it being canceled due to COVID, I had not at all considered it might be the end of Star Wars altogether. So upsetting. :( Full refunds requested for all three races. I'll be moping for the next 6 months.

Ironically, I was at WDW when the news broke, so I'm late showing up here. I have nothing nice to say about the cancelation, because, while I had prepared myself for it being canceled due to COVID, I had not at all considered it might be the end of Star Wars altogether. So upsetting. :( Full refunds requested for all three races. I'll be moping for the next 6 months.
same here - cancelled all the races, the hotel stay and the tickets. I'm very sad. Sad more for my girlfriend who was 2 weeks from being at here first runDisney weekend only for it to be cancelled back last April, and now this one, and this one is permanent. The only thing doing well for me is the 7 shares of disney stock I bought during the collapse...sheesh, how is their stock going up and up and they do this crap!?

We ended up moving our weekend away from April to the nice time between Mother's Day/Memorial Day bucket when most kids are should still be in school/standardized testing/etc.

I feel bad for the people that bought the Star Wars DVC package.

Hoping someone can clarify for me on the virtual races. Do you have to run and submit your time on the originally planned race date? Looking at the marathon weekend page, they still had dates listed under each virtual event, and the race policies tab didn't really clarify for me if there is a window of time or only a specific day to submit.

Hoping someone can clarify for me on the virtual races. Do you have to run and submit your time on the originally planned race date? Looking at the marathon weekend page, they still had dates listed under each virtual event, and the race policies tab didn't really clarify for me if there is a window of time or only a specific day to submit.
Nothing to submit. You don’t even have to run if you do not want. Disney doesn’t care. You are basically just buying some very cool (and expensive) shirts/medals. While some virtual races try to invoke some level of competition by requiring you to submit a time and/or run on a specific date, Disney leaves the “racing” part of their virtual races up to you.

Nothing to submit. You don’t even have to run if you do not want. Disney doesn’t care. You are basically just buying some very cool (and expensive) shirts/medals. While some virtual races try to invoke some level of competition by requiring you to submit a time and/or run on a specific date, Disney leaves the “racing” part of their virtual races up to you.
Disney doesn’t require it of course but they do have a spot where you can submit a time and print a finisher certificate.

I did not see a picture on the blog or runDisney's FB page as to what is supposed to be the actual virtual half's medal . Has anyone seen a picture of the medal?

I did not see a picture on the blog or runDisney's FB page as to what is supposed to be the actual virtual half's medal . Has anyone seen a picture of the medal?

No. But usually the art that's on the landing page reflects the theme of the medal.

I end up seeing the medals for the first time when I go to the WDW Marathon Weekend Expo in January (they have them on display there). I mean technically it starts January 1, so for sure by then... right?

Hasn't been released yet.

Also, registration is live for all virtual races.
Oh thanks for the reminder, I was thinking it was in another half hour. Just stuck on the "Thank you for your patience screen"...oh dear!

EDIT: No problem with registering once I got into the site. Signed up for my first Kessel Run. I decided that I won't be cancelling my original Virtual Marathon registration as it's just not cost effective due to the hefty cancelation or upgrade processing fee. Will end up with two Virtual medals, along with the now Virtual Rival Run medal and the Kessel Run medal. Not going to run three half's though...lol Two will be crazy enough for my old bones.

Last edited:
Wow, registration was pretty painless... it only took ~10 minutes from start to finish lol.

Also, it didn't ask to "choose a side," right? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cancel your original registration from the website? Or is it only through the email?

Wow, registration was pretty painless... it only took ~10 minutes from start to finish lol.

Also, it didn't ask to "choose a side," right? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cancel your original registration from the website? Or is it only through the email?
Don't think so, you can do it either through the email link or by contacting RD via phone or email.

I signed up for the 10k, then cancelled my Kessel challenge so I would get my $405 back. It took me to a webpage rather quickly since I was already signed in. I clicked on the "refund" bar and it processed, but doesn't send you an email or anything that states I chose the refund. That annoyed me a little. I don't remember that process for the W&D I cancelled, but it may have been the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter