• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

STAR WARS: GALACTIC STARCRUISER Official Information & Questions Thread

More power to you if you can do a day in the parks after Starcruiser. We transfered to the Wilderness Lodge and ONLY did Epcot so we could ride Guardians via Individual Lighting Lane. Even at that, just one attraction and dinner was about all we could manage that day. Don't under estimate the power of the force - the force of the Starcruiser that is! It is unlike anything you've ever done before, and it's non-stop from the moment you arrive.

It would be sheer, stubborn "we will have mandatory fun" willpower that would get us through it. That said, I just looked at my airfare and I can change it at no cost to an earlier flight in the day or we'll book a hotel for one night and leave the next day (also a no cost change).

Hey SW friends! We are scheduled in July for our cruise. I have been busy looking for Star Wars apparel that doesn't look like just one particular character. No easy job!

I just received our Lightsaber and Bridge Ops times. I was wondering if someone with previous experience could let me know if I need to call to adjust these dates/times. We have dinner scheduled for 8:00.

Lightsaber Training: Day 1/6:15pm
Bridge Ops Training: Day 2/4:30

Thoughts? TIA!

Kim

Hey SW friends! We are scheduled in July for our cruise. I have been busy looking for Star Wars apparel that doesn't look like just one particular character. No easy job!

I just received our Lightsaber and Bridge Ops times. I was wondering if someone with previous experience could let me know if I need to call to adjust these dates/times. We have dinner scheduled for 8:00.

Thoughts? TIA!

Kim

Seems like a good schedule to me, IMHO. Others may have a different opinion but those times would have been fine for how we chose to experience our particular journey.

Have fun!

Thoughts? TIA!

Kim
that Is probably the best bridge training time possible. I wouldn’t change either.

We are scheduled for this July 1. Starting to get very excited. I'm not a big SW fan but my son will be in Heaven! He is 9 yr old. Does anyone recommend packing his savi lightsaber? I was planning to leave it at home. He will definitely be droid racing with a brand new sk-620! Would the lightsaber be something fun to have on the cruiser? Or would it just get in the way with carrying around datapad? We did not book any add ons since we want to spend more of the time on starcruiser.

We are scheduled for this July 1. Starting to get very excited. I'm not a big SW fan but my son will be in Heaven! He is 9 yr old. Does anyone recommend packing his savi lightsaber? I was planning to leave it at home. He will definitely be droid racing with a brand new sk-620! Would the lightsaber be something fun to have on the cruiser? Or would it just get in the way with carrying around datapad? We did not book any add ons since we want to spend more of the time on starcruiser.

For us, it would have been more in the way. There’s sort of a lot going on, moving from place to place, etc - so that would have been just “one more thing” to mess with.

We did buy the special one they sell on board though (when my DW wasn’t looking), my kids played around with them a bit on board but they mostly stayed in the room.

Enjoy your journey!

We finished our journey on the 9th and I’m still processing it but wanted to share the highlights and a couple frustrating things to help future passengers or those contemplating a journey.

We’re huge Star Wars fans and created our own characters and backstories and spent way too much time creating custom costumes (but enjoyed every minute of it along the way). We consider ourselves fortunate to have gone and wanted to experience this before it changes.

no spoilers

We most enjoyed getting to meet and know like minded Star Wars and Disney fans. We lucked out with our dinner seating neighbors and met the most intelligent and articulate 8 year old ever who put our Star Wars knowledge to the test! Those who were in character and those just enjoying it were all amazing. You really get to know who your traveling with and the guests were by far the best part of this for us. Quickly followed by the actors. They did a great job. The Captain in particular was amazing. Her knowledge of obscure star wars ships was truly impressive, as was her ad libbing and performance. Gaia was a super star for real. Night 1 dinner was amazing.

The absolute worst part of the experience was the Disney Play app / Datapad. My husband is a QA tester who specializes in user interface and this app drove him insane. The frustration was so intense that by 3:30 on day 1, we had to take a break to reset our expectations and remind ourselves we were there to have fun. It’s hard to explain but there is an immense pressure to “do it all” and in the first afternoon you’re exploring the ship and trying to figure out how the game works and when its not clear or the app doesn’t do what you think it should, you worry you’re missing something. The datapad “training” wasn’t going to help either because it is kept in context of the story and doesn’t go into (or even acknowledge) you’re essentially playing a game. I think what they really need for those that want it is an out of context overview of the game experience from start to finish. Not one that spoils the journey, but one that teaches you how the game play mechanics work related to the app. We were not the only ones struggling with it and in fact we were able to help a 14 year old passenger with what little knowledge we had get over his frustrations as well. we saw many people and families in the same boat. It’s one thing to know you can’t do it all, but it’s another thing when you’re there and the meter is running. You forget that. The pressure is real. I think it comes down to the bad interface, the glitchy nature of the app, the lack of clear instruction on how the game actually works and the pressure to try to do it all. SO MY ADVICE TO ANYONE WHO STRUGGLES WITH THE “GAME” - just relax and enjoy it. You can’t possibly do everything, you can’t ”win” the game. relax and go with the flow.

The other thing that annoyed me was the inexperienced and under prepared non-actor members of the crew (excluding the food staff and servers). I realized on day 2 they were all college program students and suddenly understood why they couldn’t correctly answer simple questions, or why they were giving out incorrect or conflicting information. Example— when heading to Batuu they give you a pin so you can be identified easily. We didn’t want to loose our pins so we asked if they had the buttons or stickers we could use and store our pins. The CM handing out the pins said “sure! Just ask the passenger services crew on Batuu, they can give you a sticker”. We got to Batuu and the passenger services CM said “no, we don’t have those anymore”. there were other examples, and in some cases I felt really bad for CMs who were being berated by irate passengers. In one instance schedule conflicts (related to the app) prevented an entire family from getting into the light saber training. It quickly escalated because the CM hadn’t been trained how to handle demanding (and in this case ”entitled”) guests. There is a way to tell someone no without causing them to pull out the “I paid $5000 and you can’t let me in” card. But these CMs just don’t have that training or experience. I don’t know if this is a recent change, or this crew was just new, but the logistics of simply running the experience need white glove service, and this wasn’t that. Another silly example, the CM who runs the pod service on departure day clearly memorized his spiel for departing and enjoyed giving that to each group of departing passengers, but when he asked me before boarding “did you talk to a crew member?” I replied “about what?“ his response was “checking out”. This just hit a nerve for some reason with me because we had a letter in our cabin the night before that clearly said ”you do not need to check out”. So I replied, we were told we didn’t need to check out. He asked me to wait, walked me over to the desk where they said “you don’t need to check out, but do you need a transfer?” I replied that we were told the valet would call us a taxi for Wilderness Lodge. The reply was “no, you need to call and reserve one, CM name on the bridge can help you.” At which point we went to the bridge. Long story short, the taxi driver (who knew more than the onboard CMs) told us they changed their process that day and were now calling taxis to be dispatched only when requested, taxis were no longer allowed to queue up nearby. Again, not the level of Disney service I would expect. I know these sound nit-picky but you don’t see college students running the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge (both of which we experienced this trip) so why is the staff running Starcruiser not of the same caliber?

We did enjoy ourselves, but would be hard pressed to do it again unless there was something new to experience. It was a great “once in a lifetime“ experience that I would recommend to anyone who can afford it and likes Star Wars and immersion in unique experiences. Happy to answer any questions, but YMMV because it seems they are already changing things and I imagine when the Minnie Vans return full force, the transfer process to other resorts will change again.

Edit to add: If you do go, as D309 (the droid in your room panel) to tell you a bedtime story. It’s Epic and in multiple parts so you can ask for more. She was actually one of the highlights of the trip, right behind the actors. i wanted to take her home to replace Alexa but sadly I don’t think that’s possible….yet 😆
We were on the same cruise and I am so glad that posted about the pressure of figuring out the game. I struggled that first day because I’m not a gamer and really didn’t know what I was doing and was close to tears because of how stupid I felt. In real life, I manage a billion dollar pension plan but couldn’t figure out the datapad and wall console to get into a secret room. My 16 year old helped me out but I did have to take a bit of time to relax and remind myself to have fun.

Otherwise it was a great experience and thankful that we only encountered one entitled person on our departure days who did not believe in waiting in lines. Also thankful we didn’t encounter too much inexperience.

We used our room droid a few times but she couldn’t tell us how to turn on our shower which lead to some entertainment the second morning.

I saw your pictures on a Facebook page and your outfits were great and you always had smiles! I like to think my family did too other than a few moments the first afternoon.

For my cruise in July, HS has early entry at 8 am. Anyone know if they adjust the first Starcruiser transport time to Batuu on days HS opens earlier?

Has anyone taken a DCL cruise after their Halcyon "cruise?" Some background: we took our first DCL cruise, to Alaska, in 2019, and loved it so much that we booked another to Bermuda in 2020, which got pushed to 2021 and then canceled a second time. We put that budget towards our Starcruiser booking. But after hearing a lot about the need to decompress after the the Halcyon I'm wondering if flying home the day we disembark might be a mistake, and there is a HOTHS Wish cruise departing that day that has cabins available. Even though our trip is in October, my kids would only miss 4 days of school because of parent-teacher conferences, even with the DCL cruise, without it they would miss 1 day for travel.

I would really love to take two separate vacations and do a 3-night DCL cruise in early August, but I just don't think I'll be able to get away from work then and my DH already is planning a boys trip with his friends that week, so it would just be me and the kids. It's a whole lot of money to spend on just one week of vacation though. There's also an elevated chance that after a day at MK followed by our Halcyon cruise, we would test positive and be denied boarding on the Wish. But on the plus side, if we did a combined trip in October we would only have to pay for flights to Orlando once, and flights are getting really expensive especially for a family of 4.

TLDR: If you've done a DCL cruise after your Halcyon cruise, would you recommend it?

So this might be a counter-intuitive question but I'll ask.. I've got like sub-zero interest in the lightsaber training. Is there any compelling story reason for me to do it or can I just skip it to do other stuff that interests me more (which honestly is most everything)?

So this might be a counter-intuitive question but I'll ask.. I've got like sub-zero interest in the lightsaber training. Is there any compelling story reason for me to do it or can I just skip it to do other stuff that interests me more (which honestly is most everything)?

It's not always 100% obvious why you get certain paths, but I think the answer is yes, the Lightsaber training helps kick off a certain path

PP is probably right and I just didn't realize/notice anything, but I was going to say I see no issues in skipping. It wasn't tied to anything that I noticed, although the more intimate time with the CM helped with names/character interactions later on (not in a critical way, just more a story building familiarity way). Curious to see what others say.

FWIW it's really not all that long and I found the lightsaber training 100x better than the online mockery I had read about it before the Starcruiser opened.

If you do skip, you may want to stop by the guest services desk and just let them know you won't be attending - that'll help them better manage the schedule / other guests who may want to change times, etc.

This is the perfect example of a thread that gets too big. I'm interested in reading reports of stays at the resort, but I'm not going to wade through 123 pages.

Does anyone have thoughts or tips on the late dinner sitting? It seems like we will have to rush to make the night 2 celebration at 9:30. How long does the night 2 dinner typically take? Will we be able to finish quickly in order to make it to the final big event on time? Thanks!

This is the perfect example of a thread that gets too big. I'm interested in reading reports of stays at the resort, but I'm not going to wade through 123 pages.
Well if you just want reports of people's stays, you don't have to go back to page 1 because this thread started long before the first trips. Google when the first trip was and go back that far.

Does anyone have thoughts or tips on the late dinner sitting? It seems like we will have to rush to make the night 2 celebration at 9:30. How long does the night 2 dinner typically take? Will we be able to finish quickly in order to make it to the final big event on time? Thanks!

For night 2 dinner, each course is served simultaneously to the entire dining room, so the time is pretty uniform I think. It didn't seem like it went overtime IIRC, ofc depends on how long it takes you to eat dessert, lol. we had the early dinner, but I assume the late dinner is the same.

We had the late dinner seating and we had no issues with timing for the night 2 celebration. I recall stressing the timing because dinner on night 1 seemed to run late, but we got out in good time on night 2. I will say this though - we were at the Captain's table on night 2, so we may have gotten served slightly faster than others.

Yeah, night 2 dinner definitely moves at a quicker orchestrated pace. We don't tend to dilly dally around at meals, if we were there more than an hour or hour and 15 mins I'd be shocked, hour 30 max.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter