Stand by food

cuteinnocent

Mouseketeer
What are good options for food if you don't mobile order where lines are reasonable? How is Plaza Inn?

Everything is pretty much mobile order, even Plaza Inn, except for some snacks. Even the Little Red Wagon for corn dogs is mobile order!

So, this is my understanding from when we were there on 5/27 and also what I’ve read online and seen on social media:

Some places (not many!) have walk-up ordering SOMETIMES, but it’s not guaranteed and is inconsistent. They’ll stop it if they get too backed up/at certain times of day/for their own mysterious reasons.

So, something I observed is that people would arrive somewhere expecting to be able to walk up and order because they’d seen it there earlier/their friend had done that/etc, and then they’d be surprised that it wasn’t an option.

The only consistent place to walk-up is at the handful of carts, like the one across from Big Thunder.

Perhaps this has changed, but I saw someone talk about it on social media over the weekend, so it seems to still be an issue. And I think it’s one reason that there’s a lot of confusion about whether you need to mobile order - people are having different experiences depending when they are at a certain restaurant.

Wait, you HAVE to mobile order? There's literally no "walk up" for any of the dining options?

Wait, you HAVE to mobile order? There's literally no "walk up" for any of the dining options?

Correct, although as the above poster said occasionally they will allow a few walks ups but mobile order is what they are doing right now. Even some snacks have to be mobile ordered!

On opening day there was walk-up for Flo's, but I truly never moved in the line. It was a nightmare. I ended up doing mobile order while in line. I did not eat until 55 minutes after I started all this.

We were able to order walk-up / standby food at Tropical hideaway yesterday, which I believe was the only place doing Dole Whips yesterday (Tiki room stand was closed). The line took about 45 minutes though and was miserable. It seemed to me like they just mixed the walk-ups in the same line as the people with the "your order is ready" notification on their phone. The whole system is a mess, but we were able to get dole whips and Baos from Tropical hideaway as walk-ups (mobile orders were all sold out).

During the time my wife was in line, I mobile ordered Bengal BBQ. Got a time for 10 minutes from when i ordered. Shopped for 5 minutes, then was able to say "i'm here prepare my food" 5 minutes early as it lets you do that. Unlike some places, Bengal BBQ wouldn't let me get in the "my order is ready" line until I actually got the 2nd notification, so i waited around 5 minutes until I got that notice. I then got in the "my order is ready" line and waited about 10 minutes to get my food. Took about 20 minutes altogether, so still much much faster than the tropical Hideaway, but still a mess with all the various steps.

Note that at other locations (Cozy cones, Sonoma terrace, Pym bar being the ones we tried), we basically mobile ordered as we walked over for a "now" time slot, immediately got in the "your order is ready" line despite not having gotten that notice, by the time we got to the front of the line, our order was now ready, and then we went and got our drinks. The system is truly silly, as in all cases they don't really make your food/drinks when "your order is ready", they do that when you get up to the counter, so the whole "wait until your order window, hit I'm here then wait until it says your order is ready, then wait in another line to get to the counter" is all just crowd management to keep the lines from getting too long. Truly a mess.

We were able to order walk-up / standby food at Tropical hideaway yesterday, which I believe was the only place doing Dole Whips yesterday (Tiki room stand was closed). The line took about 45 minutes though and was miserable. It seemed to me like they just mixed the walk-ups in the same line as the people with the "your order is ready" notification on their phone. The whole system is a mess, but we were able to get dole whips and Baos from Tropical hideaway as walk-ups (mobile orders were all sold out).

During the time my wife was in line, I mobile ordered Bengal BBQ. Got a time for 10 minutes from when i ordered. Shopped for 5 minutes, then was able to say "i'm here prepare my food" 5 minutes early as it lets you do that. Unlike some places, Bengal BBQ wouldn't let me get in the "my order is ready" line until I actually got the 2nd notification, so i waited around 5 minutes until I got that notice. I then got in the "my order is ready" line and waited about 10 minutes to get my food. Took about 20 minutes altogether, so still much much faster than the tropical Hideaway, but still a mess with all the various steps.

Note that at other locations (Cozy cones, Sonoma terrace, Pym bar being the ones we tried), we basically mobile ordered as we walked over for a "now" time slot, immediately got in the "your order is ready" line despite not having gotten that notice, by the time we got to the front of the line, our order was now ready, and then we went and got our drinks. The system is truly silly, as in all cases they don't really make your food/drinks when "your order is ready", they do that when you get up to the counter, so the whole "wait until your order window, hit I'm here then wait until it says your order is ready, then wait in another line to get to the counter" is all just crowd management to keep the lines from getting too long. Truly a mess.

Tropical Hideaway isn't showing up on the Mobile Order app and wasn't yesterday (at least the times I checked.)

Is it a case of the system getting overwhelmed? I was worried it might be closd.

Tropical Hideaway isn't showing up on the Mobile Order app and wasn't yesterday (at least the times I checked.)

Is it a case of the system getting overwhelmed? I was worried it might be closd.
Most likely all the times are gone by now. Although it’s kind of chilly, so I’m not sure? But they’re often gone by lunchtime.

Things appear to be changing rapidly based on factors we can't see... Several places now say, "No mobile order offered at this location today, please place your order in person", including Tropical Hideaway and the Little Red Wagon, and Stage Door but I had just looked for times at Red Wagon and they had been available 5 minutes prior?? 3 weeks until I get to navigate the system and I'm hoping for more restaurants to spread people around, at least Rancho and Hungry Bear...

Things appear to be changing rapidly based on factors we can't see... Several places now say, "No mobile order offered at this location today, please place your order in person", including Tropical Hideaway and the Little Red Wagon, and Stage Door but I had just looked for times at Red Wagon and they had been available 5 minutes prior?? 3 weeks until I get to navigate the system and I'm hoping for more restaurants to spread people around, at least Rancho and Hungry Bear...
Oh, interesting. I understand why they’d pull mobile order from AC (I actually feel like it would be better NOT to offer it at all in that land - would alleviate a lot of the confusion about timing), but why would they get rid of it somewhere like Stage Door? Worked great for us there.

Tropical Hideaway went standby only at some point yesterday (Sunday) - I was there around 4 or 5 and it was open for standby. So if it’s not in mobile order today, maybe it’s open for standby.

Both Shawarma carts were standby only all weekend. The “Too” cart had much a shorter line.

Last night around 6-7 Flos was doing standby and mobile order. There were lots of mobile order slots open and for whatever reason it wasn’t crowded at all. I mobile ordered but saw them taking a few standby orders as well.

Disney seems to be experimenting with mobile order vs standby, so things could possibly change daily as they see what works best for various locations.

On Sunday you could order walk up at Jolly Holiday Bakery. I didn’t know and had mobile ordered sodas for immediate pickup at 4:45. Got there and there was no one in line for walk up. Tropical Hideaway always said “mobile order unavailable today” but was able to wait standby around 7 for my long awaited Dole Whip.

On Thursday we did Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn on walk-up. Everything else we ate during our trip seemed to be mobile order only.

I'd check on PI to see if it's walk up that day. Food is good (for DLR) and if you sit in one of the atrium's, it can be a quiet, relaxing break from the noise of the park (go early).

Tropical Hideaway went standby only at some point yesterday (Sunday) - I was there around 4 or 5 and it was open for standby. So if it’s not in mobile order today, maybe it’s open for standby.

Both Shawarma carts were standby only all weekend. The “Too” cart had much a shorter line.

Last night around 6-7 Flos was doing standby and mobile order. There were lots of mobile order slots open and for whatever reason it wasn’t crowded at all. I mobile ordered but saw them taking a few standby orders as well.

Disney seems to be experimenting with mobile order vs standby, so things could possibly change daily as they see what works best for various locations.
Oh I wish I had realized I could have done standby at the Tropical Hideaway Saturday. I thought since it wasn't on the mobile order list anymore towards the end of the day, i was out of luck getting a dole whip.

Can anyone verify that the chimichanga/corn carts are still closed? It’s all my husband talks about so I’d like to prepare him in advance. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter