• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stalking or getting alerts on resorts availability?

DianaMB333

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
Hi.. is there something like last minute cancellations that you can take advantage from?

I am looking for a second unit for my trip in Sept.. there is no availability now, but I am wondering if 30-45 days before is common to see cancellations and therefore stalking-mode is needed (LOL) or if is there something like a resort alert available?

thanks!

I just scored poly for 4/10-4/15 10 minutes ago. I have been stalking. Stalking Seems more effective for 4 day or greater reservation. imo I think waitlist really only helps with 1-2 nights at most.

I just scored poly for 4/10-4/15 10 minutes ago. I have been stalking. Stalking Seems more effective for 4 day or greater reservation. imo I think waitlist really only helps with 1-2 nights at most.
Not in my experience, usually the random day.

More people may very well may be cancelling in the next few. Months re for corona virus concerns vs the normal avoiding the 30 day window results

Keep stalking and hitting "update" every time you can. I have had rooms show up at all times of the day. Just when you are ready to give up there it is, so don't hesitate for one second when you see it. You will find more cancellations than usual for the foreseeable future. I cancelled a May Poly trip a couple months ago and then ended using those points to gift to my son and DIL who just returned today (we got 4 nights at Poly). I have a split trip reserved for October but I'm thinking it is 50/50 whether we will go or not but I plan to wait until late August to decide. Keep checking... Good luck!

I check constantly even when I have a waitlist. Lately, my waitlists have won out but even when checking, it is amazing of the different things that can show up.

So, keep checking every day, different times as well, DVC does not have something that notifies you.

Keep your hopes up! I had been on the RAT as much as I possibly could for the past 3 weeks but my waitlist won out for a 3/24 BLT lake view. If you don't yet, definitely make sure you have a waitlist in, it seems like those are doing better (at least in my experience). You're right though, that couple weeks before 30 days there will likely be some movement.

Keep your hopes up! I had been on the RAT as much as I possibly could for the past 3 weeks but my waitlist won out for a 3/24 BLT lake view. If you don't yet, definitely make sure you have a waitlist in, it seems like those are doing better (at least in my experience). You're right though, that couple weeks before 30 days there will likely be some movement.
Thanks!

I just dropped a studio this morning for Aug 30-Sep 5. It literally disappeared in bits and pieces in about 30 minutes. (I was curious and refreshed for a bit.) probably a mix of WL and people stalking.

I thinking availability will be tough. many people are canceling their trips for March/April. I was amazed to see the rooms available this morning. But remember these folks will now have points they need to use which will/may change the booking patterns we’re use to.

I just picked up a night in Feb 2021 by stalking. My wait list never filled but I just grabbed it myself and canceled the WL.

No alert system that I know of :(

I stalk and do an automatic refresh when at work.
Two weeks ago I stalked and put together an 8 night SSR studio for January (was six separate ressies).
Last week, I saw 4 nights together for January 1-8 at AKL Kidani Studio. I canceled my SSR and booked the
4 nights. I stalked the rest to piece together a 7 nights AKL studio that I just pieced together the last night (January 6) this morning. It takes a lot of work and I look all day/night but can be done.

Good luck!

I check constantly even when I have a waitlist. Lately, my waitlists have won out but even when checking, it is amazing of the different things that can show up.

So, keep checking every day, different times as well, DVC does not have something that notifies you.
Is the waitlist supposed to kick in before becoming available? I had a reservation for a 2BR Lakeview lock-off and a waitlist for the dedicated 2BR lakeview. By stalking, I saw and grabbed the dedicated 2BR, but why didn't it fill my waitlist before showing it available? Luckily, I booked it but if someone else had been there to grab it I'm not feeling confident I would have gotten my waitlist.

Is the waitlist supposed to kick in before becoming available? I had a reservation for a 2BR Lakeview lock-off and a waitlist for the dedicated 2BR lakeview. By stalking, I saw and grabbed the dedicated 2BR, but why didn't it fill my waitlist before showing it available? Luckily, I booked it but if someone else had been there to grab it I'm not feeling confident I would have gotten my waitlist.
Ok. I need more info on this waitlist thing. Is it for villas or for rooms. Because the trick from above does not work... Ty

Ok. I need more info on this waitlist thing. Is it for villas or for rooms. Because the trick from above does not work... Ty
I'm not sure there's any trick to creating a waitlist. When you look for rooms, the site may hide rooms from you that have don't have availabilty but you can see them by clicking the "View Other Rooms" button. If you then select the dates you want, even though they're not available, the "continue" button will switch to a "continue to waitlist" button. The process is pretty straight forward from there.

I'm not sure there's any trick to creating a waitlist. When you look for rooms, the site may hide rooms from you that have don't have availabilty but you can see them by clicking the "View Other Rooms" button. If you then select the dates you want, even though they're not available, the "continue" button will switch to a "continue to waitlist" button. The process is pretty straight forward from there.
I just researched this. Unfortunately it seems to be for DVC only. There is no possible waitlist for regular rooms at the resorts.

There is nothing to show on the waitlist that it has been matched. Once matched it has to be processed by a CM to the new room. That can take days.

So, it’s possible you did have the match waiting but no way to know. We don’t know how often the system grabs rooms, but I can tell you that I have had too many Waitlisrs that filled without me knowing and then see the room show up immediately when I canceled the waitlist.

Just happened to me this week..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter