SSR vs. BLT - Deluxe Studio Size Question

jwb811

Earning My Ears
We are planning a WDW trip for next Spring, and are currently set to stay in a deluxe studio at SSR. However, we are considering changing to a deluxe studio at BLT, but keep reading about the size of the rooms and how small they are. There will be four of us on the trip--two adults and two kids (7 and 5). I know the SSR studios are listed as being a few square feet larger than the BLT studios, but am wondering if the difference in size is really that noticeable when staying there, especially in terms of living space? Thanks in advance!

I was a navy submariner for 20 years, IMO there is more living space than any sane person needs in a BLT studio. I never felt cramped in one even with 4 people.

We stayed in both this year. I like the SSR studios so much more. The only thing I liked about BLT was the galley style kitchen. The TVs and all the furniture felt really old and small, especially the bathroom.

The SSR bathroom is much nicer plus the Murphy bed. Hands down a better studio.

If the location, on the monorail near MK, is more important, stay at BLT. If the room is more important, stay at SSR, especially if you want to walk to DS.

SSR room is nice but BLT is a much better resort IMO. I’d pick just about any resort over SSR any day. Just my opinion though, some people love it

The SSR studio is about 355 sq ft, the BLT studio about 340. It is a noticeable difference and BLT is more cramped, but, for comparisons, if you've done in the past any moderate Disney hotel resorts (average in the 315 range) or value resorts (average in the 250 range), which many have done with 4 persons, the BLT room is significantly larger. My personal sense is that four in a studio is always too cramped regardless of size but if you are comfortable with four, SSR is somewhat better, but BLT is OK too.

SSR's advantage is that its rooms have recently been refurbished, and it is one the best refurbs DVC has ever done to any rooms. The rooms are now much nicer than they were before and the second bed is now a comfortable queen Murphy bed that pulls down out of the wall over a couch that folds down when you do so. BLT rooms still have the older design with a couch that pulls out into a bed, for which comfort generally varies depending on person, although putting two children on it is usually the choice that produces lthe least amount of complaints about comfort.

BLT has the location advantage with the ability to walk to MK. Also, along with its sister resort, Contemporary, it has easy access to excellent restaurants and large stores. Moreover, if you get a lake view room and request and get higher floor, you can get very good views.

SSR's supposed location disadvantage has really been greatly overblown. The buses to parks are fairly quick, even though they make five stops in the resort, and you have fairly easy access to Disney Springs with all its restaurants and activities (and if anyone is a golfer, the Lake Buena Vista course is right there). The perfectly kept landscape and lakes throughout the resort also make just walking around a very pleasant activity.

Last edited:
We are planning a WDW trip for next Spring, and are currently set to stay in a deluxe studio at SSR. However, we are considering changing to a deluxe studio at BLT, but keep reading about the size of the rooms and how small they are. There will be four of us on the trip--two adults and two kids (7 and 5). I know the SSR studios are listed as being a few square feet larger than the BLT studios, but am wondering if the difference in size is really that noticeable when staying there, especially in terms of living space? Thanks in advance!

We found BLT studio slightly smaller than others. All studios ( besides the new Murphy bed ones) feel cramped when you take all the cushions off the couch, yes even the largest studio at PVB felt cramped. Most of that extra space is in the bathroom area. The largest feeling studio we have stayed in is OKW, sine it has 2 queen beds and the room is not a typical rectangle there is room to store stuff and still walk around. I haven’t stayed in a RIV studio yet. They are the 2nd largest right now. VGF 2 will take #2 when it gets sold.

I find it incredible that people think 15 sq ft is a game changer. Since the BLT room is about 15' wide, you're talking a space 1' deep across the whole room. ONE FOOT.

I like the way they use space in the BLT studio, and I really like the galley style kitchenette:

The Murphy bed in at SSR is far superior to the BLT pullout, especially if you have adults sleeping on it. I love SSR for a resort only stay or a minimal park trip.

I find it incredible that people think 15 sq ft is a game changer. Since the BLT room is about 15' wide, you're talking a space 1' deep across the whole room. ONE FOOT.
I agree it doesn't sound like much - but that means one foot less width in the hallway from the front door past the bathroom and kitchen to the bedroom area and one foot less between the foot of the bed and the dresser. A little trickier to get full-size suitcases through or to walk with a stroller or even side by side with a child.

At BLT, they used a lot of space in both the kitchenette and the bathroom compared to other studios. So that leaves a lot less in the living/sleeping area. When the sleeper sofa is opened up, it is only about 12" from the queen bed (if that - there isn't a bedside table at the side of the queen bed). Plus the sleeper sofa is pretty close to the window/curtain as well.

I see the kids are 7 and 5, so I’m assuming you will be spending at least a couple of days at the Magic Kingdom. BLT is the best choice in my opinion. 10 minute walk to the MK, a good pool for youngsters (or you can walk over to the Contemporary to use that pool), monorail to Epcot after changing at the TTC. If you opt for park hopper passes, you can do an Epcot morning and then skyliner to Hollywood. Or bus to Hollywood, then skyliner to Epcot and then monorail back to BLT. The nicest part is (if you have park hoppers) you can stroll over to MK in the evening for fireworks and castle projections and not have to worry about getting back to your resort. With two you

I would not do a BLT studio with 4. I’m not a fan of studios for anything over 2 but I would and have done it but never at BLT. Try the Poly or the GF if you want monorail

It's not even the actual square footage that is the issue, it's how it's laid out. BLT living/sleeping area is SMALL. With 4 people it will be cramped. The trade off, is a great little galley kitchen, and proximity to MK. So it just depends on what's important to you.
For us, we now avoid BLT unless it's just my DH and I. If we have 4 people, I would go for SSR no questions asked.

This is the sleeping area:
If you fold out the couch it takes up room. Still plenty of room for 4 people to sleep. We're only there for a week or so. I don't know what people do with the extra space in bigger studios. Hold a ballet class? ;)
Everyone is different and may have needs I'm not aware of. I'm not sure what the OP feels is sufficient space.

Last edited:
Oof depends on if your kids are OK with sleeping on a sofa bed. When I was that age, I don't think I cared. As previous posters mentioned, the difference between the BLT pull-out couch & the new SSR murphy bed is incomparable. Since space will be tight, the Murphy is A LOT easier to assemble & put away than a sofa bed. The room will be tidier.

As for the rest - it really depends on if your kids are huge MK fans. Being on the monorail may be your deciding factor. SSR is fantastic, but obviously it doesn't have the proximity to MK. I would pick your stay based on your itinerary. If it's more a relaxing, non-park trip or your kids aren't going to MK every day, then I'd pick SSR. The proximity to restaurants, entertainment, and shopping (even for 5 and 7 years) is unbelievavble these days.

Oof depends on if your kids are OK with sleeping on a sofa bed. When I was that age, I don't think I cared. As previous posters mentioned, the difference between the BLT pull-out couch & the new SSR murphy bed is incomparable. Since space will be tight, the Murphy is A LOT easier to assemble & put away than a sofa bed. The room will be tidier.

As for the rest - it really depends on if your kids are huge MK fans. Being on the monorail may be your deciding factor. SSR is fantastic, but obviously it doesn't have the proximity to MK. I would pick your stay based on your itinerary. If it's more a relaxing, non-park trip or your kids aren't going to MK every day, then I'd pick SSR. The proximity to restaurants, entertainment, and shopping (even for 5 and 7 years) is unbelievavble these days.
The big bonus of BLT is not using the monorail ( when they work, been breaking down a lot lately, be prepared to be rescued by fire department) and walk to and from the MK. You can walk now from VGF but the walk is about twice as long as BLT.

This is the sleeping area:
View attachment 600648
If you fold out the couch it takes up room. Still plenty of room for 4 people to sleep. We're only there for a week or so. I don't know what people do with the extra space in bigger studios. Hold a ballet class? ;)
Everyone is different and may have needs I'm not aware of. I'm not sure what the OP feels is sufficient space.
The size of the room can depend on whether it is on the outer side of the building or on the inner side of the building. The one bedrooms are really noticable. The studios might be, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter