SSR preferred or standard with 2 little kids.......

Emmiev02

Earning My Ears
We will be staying the second week of September and will be the first time staying with DVC. We will have a 15 month old and 5 year old at that time and don't know if it is worth it to just use the extra points for a preferred room. We honestly have only been on the property when we did our DVC tour in 2019 and don't know much about it in terms of the positives. Any opinons or suggestions?

The difference between Preferred and Standard is location. The two Preferred Locations are Congress Park (closest to Disney Springs via bridge to MarketPlace) and The Springs (closest to the Carriage House which is check in, main dining location and feature pool).

I prefer the Grandstand section which is one of the Standard Locations. It's the second closest section to the Carriage House and has a leisure pool & pool bar (limited food menu). The Grandstand is also the first stop (of the five internal bus stops) for buses headed to a Theme Park.

Of the remaining two sections in the Standard booking category, The Paddock has a leisure pool and grill (quick service dining) and the Carousel doesn't.

We also like the Grandstand area due to its location, quiet pool, and bus pick-up. It's also a quiet area. Some of the preferred buildings overlook Disney Springs and the noise can carry which might be an issue with little ones at night.

So if I book standard and request the grandstand for my 1st request and the carriage house as my 2nd request what are the chances you think they will honor those?

We have stayed at SSR three times, requested Grandstand three times, and received it each time. A reminder though that location requests are just that, requests.

So if I book standard and request the grandstand for my 1st request and the carriage house as my 2nd request what are the chances you think they will honor those?

They will try their best, but requests are only requests.

Carriage House is not a villa building. It's the main check in building with the store and dining. Grandstand, Carousel and Paddock are the three standard standard locations . Springs and Congress Park are the Preferred locations.

Our favorite place to stay is near the Paddock pool, which is a standard location. We trade through RCI to stay here, so we usually get a standard location. My kids prefer the less crowded pool and it has a slide, little kids splash area and is zero entry. They have a snack bar there too. It's a short walk across the lake to be near the main pool or restaurants. My family doesn't mind walking though, so it wasn't a big deal to walk to DS. We also eat breakfast/lunch in our room or take a picnic to the pool, so being near the Carriage House wasn't important to us. My kids love staying here!

For us, we've been happy with standard and don't think preferred is worth the extra points.

Of the remaining two sections in the Standard booking category, The Paddock has a leisure pool and grill (quick service dining) and the Carousel doesn't.
The Paddock has a feature pool not a leisure. SSR has 2 feature pools and 3 leisure. The leisure pools are at the Grandstand, Congress Park and Tree House Villas. The Grandstand pool is a slide away from being a feature pool.

We will be staying the second week of September and will be the first time staying with DVC. We will have a 15 month old and 5 year old at that time and don't know if it is worth it to just use the extra points for a preferred room.
The big appeal to Preferred is to be either as close as possible to Disney Springs (staying in Congress Park) or as close as possible to the Carriage House (staying in Springs). For your travel party, I suspect being close to Disney Springs isn't going to be all that important. So I think your decision is to book Preferred and request Springs, or book Standard.

So far, my stays have all been Standard, and I request "near pool." That is likely to put you in one of two places: the two buildings in Grandstand bracketing its leisure pool, or the two buildings in Paddock bracketing its feature pool. (It has a slide and a good QS location, and while it isn't *quite* as fancy/large as the main pool, it's very very nice.)

I think for your travel party, both of those locations could work, assuming you don't have mobility issues and don't mind pushing a stroller for a bit from time to time. Grandstand is the first bus stop, and quite close to the Carriage House. Paddock is either the 2nd or 3rd stop (I always get a space, but don't always get a seat) and there is a bridge (currently under renovation) that shortens the walk to the Carriage House.

Finally, the advantage of requesting "near pool" is that it gives you a very good chance of avoiding Carousel, which is the red-headed stepchild of SSR "neighborhoods".

Carousel, which is the red-headed stepchild of SSR "neighborhoods".
This brings up a question to me - why is Carousel less desirable? Is it because no pool and/or the distance from Carriage House as well as DS? We have our first stay at SSR coming in June and are thinking of requesting Carousel because it’s always seemed like it would be quiet. Maybe it is the neighborhood for us!

This brings up a question to me - why is Carousel less desirable? Is it because no pool and/or the distance from Carriage House as well as DS? We have our first stay at SSR coming in June and are thinking of requesting Carousel because it’s always seemed like it would be quiet. Maybe it is the neighborhood for us!

It´s the distance from the Carriage House and lack of pool.

why is Carousel less desirable?
Every section has something to recommend it. Congress Park is closest to Disney Springs and has a quiet pool. Springs is closest to the main pool and Carriage House. Grandstand has the first bus stop and a solid pool. Paddock has the second feature pool and a good QS location.

Carousel because it’s always seemed like it would be quiet
I agree with you, and think that's what Carousel has to recommend it! But, I don't think many folks think that's an important enough advantage to outweigh the distance from the Carriage House, a pool, or food service. But, if you have a car and/or don't mind an extra minute or three walking to places, it could be a great place!

For what it’s worth when my wife and I take our kids and grandkids to WDW and stay at SSR we always choose the Paddock and ask to be placed near the pool. When it is just my wife and I staying at SSR we always ask for Congress Park due to the proximity to Disney Springs. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter