• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR or OKW?

ForEver2016

Mouseketeer
Trying to figure out where to stay next summer. Here’s the run down:
- need 2 bedroom villa
- 3 adults, 2 kids (ages 6 and 2)
- 10 days
- spending only 5 days in parks, other 5 relaxing/exploring
- wanted to be close to Disney Springs
- we will have our own car

We would like to stay somewhere that has good pools for kids and a relaxing atmosphere. Due to budget, these are the two resorts we can swing. What’s everyone’s pick between these two?

Never stayed at either one but SSR is close walking distance to Disney Springs and supposedly has better pools and food options. We are staying at OKW this month because it was less expensive than SSR and we liked its look. We will also have our own car.

Wish we knew if boats would be running by then. If they aren’t then SSR may be the better option for walking to/from DS.

OKW has an open table service restaurant so that is a pro for them. Their rooms are also bigger which is great for a large group.

We’ve stayed at SSR multiple times and it’s a solid resort. First stay at OKW is in 2.5 weeks, looking forward to comparing the two.

Last edited:
Been staying at OKW multiple times per year since 95. Love it. My favorite resort on property. Also stayed at SSR a bunch of times. I just feel more at home at OKW. I love the color schemes and how bright it is. SSR is always shadier so doesn’t have that Florida feeling to me. When we used to live in NY, OKW felt like a vacation and SSR jut didn’t. Now that we live in Florida, we still like OKW better. We always enjoyed the pools at OKW, but even when I was a kid, I liked the quiet pools better than the main pool.

A lot of people consider OKW to be a relaxing resort - the theme, colors, etc. attribute to that. They also have the largest DVC rooms which would be nice for 10 days, especially with 5 non-park days.

That said, being walking distance to Disney Springs gives a lot more flexibility IMO. Even if the boats from OKW are running then, I'd imagine they'd still do some social distancing which may result in waits for another boat, and the frequency could be reduced. Being able to walk over when you want to from SSR would be a priority for me.

We love OKW. It's so relaxing. (Although the new rooms at SSR are absolutely stunning!) If you stay at OKW, be aware that they don't have elevators. For us, it's important to request a 1st floor room at OKW when we stay there because of bad knees... Honestly, though, you won't go wrong with either one.

I prefer SSR for the ease of getting to Disney Springs, the two pools with slides and that the resort has a quick-service restaurant.

My kids prefer SSR because it has 2 themed pool areas with water slides/kids areas. We like the Paddock pool because it’s smaller and has water slides, kids area and snack bar. It’s not a bad walk to the springs pool or to DS (15 minutes probably). We’ve stayed here several times without ever stepping foot into a park. They have kids activities at the community hall, free pool tables, ping pong, etc.

One of the only resorts we haven’t stayed at is OKW, so I can’t compare to it.

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I think we are leaning towards SSR just in case the boats to DS still aren’t a running next year, but it really is a toss up!

They are similar in that they are more condo-like or community-like than hotel-like. OKW has the largest villas overall of all the DVC resorts. Most building at OKW do not have elevators, so you'll need to request ground floor if anyone in your party can't take the stairs. All two bedroom villas at OKW will have two real queen beds in the second bedroom. You'd need a dedicated two bedroom at SSR to get two real queen beds in the second bedroom. If you get a lockoff, you'll get one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa (or possibly the newer murphy bed - depending on the status of the renovation). OKW has one themed pool area with a slide and three other leisure pools. SSR has one leisure pool (Congress Park - preferred) and three themed areas (Paddock - standard, Springs - preferred and Grandstand - standard). If you go to the parks by Disney transportation, both resorts have buses that pick up in multiple locations. OKW has both a table service (Olivia's) and a counter service (Goods to Go - not a food court, no inside dining, only outside dining). SSR currently only has Artist's Palette (counter service with inside or outside dining).

Depending on when you go, the boats between SSR and DS and OKW and DS may or may not be operating. At SSR, you can walk to DS. At OKW, you can also walk to DS, but it's only open during daylight and is almost a one mile walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter