SSR or OKW for Sleep Around Points

So I have a noob question, for sleep around points, why not get Vero Beach for the lowest $/pp? I know the annual fees are higher but it seems like a $5 difference per point would take 10-12 years to offset the sale price points delta between SSR and VB.

Besides the savings will be eaten up by the increased dues, you own at a non WDW resort which means never booking before 7 months…and that could be tough at certain times of the year.

At least with SSR and OKW, you can book those and trade at 7 months but at least if things don’t work, you have something at WDW.

As a practical matter, SSR and OKW are both available at 7 months for most room configurations and most times of year, so home resort priority for either doesn’t matter a whole lot. I’d buy SSR even if my intention was to mostly stay at OKW.
OKW near HH for all booking categories and GV are usually gone already at 7 months.
SSR THV might be gone some time of the year.
So there might be some home resort advantage, depending on preferences.

SSR hands down unless you want the OKW grand villa. OKW's resale price has been pushed high because it is popular for ROFR because DVC can extend it. You can't, so don't buy it.

I also think CCV is an excellent choice, and boy there have been some deals on it.

SSR hands down unless you want the OKW grand villa. OKW's resale price has been pushed high because it is popular for ROFR because DVC can extend it. You can't, so don't buy it.

I also think CCV is an excellent choice, and boy there have been some deals on it.
I actually think, if the purchase prices comes down more, the best resort for SAP may soon be BLT.

Another noob question: I'm looking at buying resale for the first time and considering SSR for sleep away points. What's the reality we'd actually be able to use those points at resorts other than SSR and OKW at the 7-month mark? (We are able to travel in some quieter times in September.)

Another noob question: I'm looking at buying resale for the first time and considering SSR for sleep away points. What's the reality we'd actually be able to use those points at resorts other than SSR and OKW at the 7-month mark? (We are able to travel in some quieter times in September.)
Depends on what you’re looking to get. 1 bedroom units? Those are easy to get at the 7 month mark at most resorts (especially the more expensive views) other than beach club. Studios are harder, ymmv. September is usually a generally easier time to grab rooms, but this year seems to be an exception for some reason.

Depends on what you’re looking to get. 1 bedroom units? Those are easy to get at the 7 month mark at most resorts (especially the more expensive views) other than beach club. Studios are harder, ymmv. September is usually a generally easier time to grab rooms, but this year seems to be an exception for some reason.
Thank you!

In general, the order of difficulty to book goes from studio>2BR>Grand Villa>1BR. The inventory at each resort varies. It’s easier to list the ones that are less likely to have inventory at 7 months. Beach Club and Boardwalk usually have some of the worst availability because the rooms are on a very nice point chart. The rest really depends on the season you’re going and how good you are about booking right at 7 months. The other exception would probably be Grand Californian where if you don’t own there you should not expect to stay there, reliably at least.

I'm looking at a 100 point contract December use year for sale at SSR with 300 points available in 2023. 100 banked points expire 11/30/23. I intend to use or rent the banked points before the deadline. How could I best use the remaining 200 points at other resorts before and after 11/30/23? Also, I'm assuming that the banked points are from 2021? Am I correct? If so, where are the other 100 points(not the use year points) coming from?

I'm looking at a 100 point contract December use year for sale at SSR with 300 points available in 2023. 100 banked points expire 11/30/23. I intend to use or rent the banked points before the deadline. How could I best use the remaining 200 points at other resorts before and after 11/30/23? Also, I'm assuming that the banked points are from 2021? Am I correct? If so, where are the other 100 points(not the use year points) coming from?
The only way a contract 100 pt contract has 300 points like that is if it has banked its 2021 UY points into the 2022 December UY which allows them to now expire on 11/30/23, has its current UY points AND has borrowed from the 2023 UY. If it actually has 100 points still available in 2023 then who knows.. maybe it came from a transfer? Someone else feel free to correct me as I haven’t seen that. I think its more likely the broker messed up when entering the number of points in each UY.

I’d be wary about the number of points actually available and ask them to confirm the points in the contract.

The only way a contract 100 pt contract has 300 points like that is if it has banked its 2021 UY points into the 2022 December UY which allows them to now expire on 11/30/23, has its current UY points AND has borrowed from the 2023 UY. If it actually has 100 points still available in 2023 then who knows.. maybe it came from a transfer? Someone else feel free to correct me as I haven’t seen that. I think its more likely the broker messed up when entering the number of points in each UY.

I’d be wary about the number of points actually available and ask them to confirm the points in the contract.
It didn't make sense to me either. It was listed 300 points for 2023, 100 points for 2024 and 100 points for 2025. And it was listed for $12,000. And in the time it took for me to post here it disappeared.

We own at SSR and really like it. We had a split stay in a two bedroom villa at Easter with the first week at BCV in a renovated room and the second week at SSR. The villa at SSR was much nicer than the renovated villa at BCV. It’s also a great location for Disney Springs (a short walk or a quick boat trip) and it’s convenient for getting to Universal. I don’t understand why it gets such a bad press. It’s a lovely resort. We always have a car and don’t rely on Disney transport so perhaps that makes a difference.

We own at SSR and really like it. We had a split stay in a two bedroom villa at Easter with the first week at BCV in a renovated room and the second week at SSR. The villa at SSR was much nicer than the renovated villa at BCV. It’s also a great location for Disney Springs (a short walk or a quick boat trip) and it’s convenient for getting to Universal. I don’t understand why it gets such a bad press. It’s a lovely resort. We always have a car and don’t rely on Disney transport so perhaps that makes a difference.
Honestly the only reasons it gets bad press is because it’s spread out and isn’t close to the parks (like walking/other mode of transpo besides bus). Otherwise it’s a great resort, especially if you like Disney Springs. Also I think the sheer amount of rooms and availability makes it a little less valued. Pretty much no matter what there’s something available at SSR and it gets taken for granted because of it. On the other hand if I didn’t have access to SSR I’d be upset. The point charts are pretty cheap, most of the time comparable with OKW and they knocked the recent refurb in 2021 out of the park. It’s kind of sad to say but it’s own success is a double edged sword.

It’s easy availability is one of the reasons I personally won’t buy there because I want my home resort priority to be meaningful. Maybe I’d consider it if I wanted bungacabin points :p

Last edited:
Honestly the only reasons it gets bad press is because it’s a spread out and isn’t close to the parks (like walking/other mode of transpo besides bus). Otherwise it’s a great resort, especially if you like Disney Springs. Also I think the sheer amount of rooms and availability makes it a little less valued. Pretty much no matter what there’s something available at SSR and it gets taken for granted because of it. On the other hand if I didn’t have access to SSR I’d be upset. The point charts are pretty cheap, most of the time comparable with OKW and they knocked the recent refurb in 2021 out of the park. It’s kind of sad to say but it’s own success is a double edged sword.

It’s easy availability is one of the reasons I personally won’t buy there because I want my home resort priority to be meaningful. Maybe I’d consider it if I wanted bungacabin points :p
It also has a proper community hall for activities which not all of the resorts do. We also own at AKV and I much prefer the rooms at SSR. The AKV rooms are so dark and depressing, particularly if you don’t have a Savannah view room to make up for the inside. I guess I should be pleased that SSR is so unpopular as we can always get a 2 bed there even at fairly short notice.

Last edited:
It also have a proper community hall for activities which not all of the resorts do. We also own at AKV and I much prefer the rooms army SSR. The AKV rooms are so dark and depressing, particularly if you don’t have a Savannah view room to make up for the inside. I guess I should be pleased that SSR is so unpopular as we can always get a 2 bed there even at fairly short notice.
I imagine the AKV refurb coming up will make the rooms brighter. It seems to be the trend these days just looking at how they changed the BRV rooms. Congress Park is a must for us when we stay at SSR but I was blown away in 2021 when those rooms were brand spanking new. I’m grateful SSR exists for last minute getaways and etc.

Ah yes, we’ve just bought at BRV having toured the newly renovated rooms there. They are really nice! I must admit, Wilderness Lodge is my new favourite. I’d always turned my nose up at Boulder Ridge before. What a mistake that was!

Last edited:
Ah yes, we’ve just bought at BRV having toured the newly renovated rooms there. They are really nice! I must admit, Wilderness Lodge is my new favourite. I’d always turned my nose up at Boulder Ridge before. What a mistake that was!
Shhhhhhhhhhh 🤫

It didn't make sense to me either. It was listed 300 points for 2023, 100 points for 2024 and 100 points for 2025. And it was listed for $12,000. And in the time it took for me to post here it disappeared.
Sounds like a mistake in the listing for sure!

SSR. The refurb rooms are great. With prices the way they are look, I agree with others - there are a few contenders for longer contract and more necessary 11 month advantage. Not diminishing a few grand difference but over the lifetime is it worth it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter