SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Just rolled back tonight from Paddock 2 bedroom 5327. Right by the elevator, and the pool. We loved sitting by the pool and enjoying the bar. And a short walk over the bridge if we needed to hit the lobby area. The room had been re-done and was in great shape. We had not stayed at our home resort in a long time, and came away loving it. I would stay there all over again.
Mug refill stations stay open at those pools for most of the day? Random question but as a BLT owner... I have to walk a bit and that is annoying sometimes.

We did a cash stay last month. We had a one bedroom preferred location. When doing online check in, I was allowed to choose two requests form this list:
Congress Park, Grandstand, Close to Carriage House, Close to Bus stop, Close to Pool.
I was pretty confused. This was our first time at SSR and I've always heard that Preferred meant Congress Park or The Springs. I had thought the Grandstand rooms were Standard. I checked back on the cash reservation page to see the actual wording and for Preferred it does say, 'Close to Disney Springs or to The Carriage House".
I ended up requesting Congress Park and left the second request blank. When we arrived we had not received a room ready text so I checked with the front desk. They asked me what section I wanted to be in and I said Congress Park (I'm never sure what online check in accomplishes). I was told that they couldn't guarantee that, but if we wanted to wait they would try. I mentioned that I paid for Preferred to be close to DS or CH but was told that it's a request and never guaranteed.
We loved our stay at SSR, but for future stays I don't know if I'd pay the extra $80+tax per night if a preferred location isn't guaranteed. At first the resort seemed huge and while waiting for our room assignment I was really apprehensive and worried that we made a big mistake. I even considered asking to switch my reservation to any deluxe resort with availability (I would have paid the difference). My husband convinced me to just chill and see where we ended up. We did get Congress Park. However, by the second full day there, after a lot of exploring, I really fell in love with the entire property. I don't think I'd find any location to be "bad". I probably would put The Carousel at the bottom of my list since we fly, don't rent a car, and go to Disney Springs frequently, but other than that, every area seemed to have benefits.

Sorry this got so long. I really just wanted to say that Preferred wasn't what I thought it would be, and although we ended up getting what we wanted this time, in the future I would take a relaxed attitude, probably save the $ and do standard, and enjoy being surprised by what we get. I feel like at Disney the only times I'm disappointed is when I try to control too much.
Yeah sounds like cash side got you in a weird spot versus DVC points side but glad you enjoyed it! It is a nice property to walk for sure. I like it dramatically more over the similar are OKW. We never rent a car or really even uber. We like to take advanatage of the "bubble" and "free" transportation. I am not a fan of non park resorts for that reason but I would say this potentially would be my favorite of the isolated resorts. AK was nice but not sure I prefer it (I know this shocks people usually).

I am a planner by profession and vacation for sure lol I have always put a lot of effort into the front end of the rooms and some other planning but have to tell myself to just go with the flow far as rides/food. I cannot plan everything or it is not as fun especially when I have a toddler. I am not familiar with "the carousel" so I will look that one up. Thanks

Mug refill stations stay open at those pools for most of the day? Random question but as a BLT owner... I have to walk a bit and that is annoying sometimes.
They do - I was maybe 70 yards from the elevator to the pool. Not open early and they closed when the guards had to clear the pool deck.

Is the preferred studio room worth the extra points? Booking 3 studios for December for our trip (my family of 4, my parents, my in laws). We will have 2 cars and a double stroller. Not sure if it’s worth the extra points or not.. brand new members and never stayed there before even though it’s our home resort! Making our first visit in May just my husband and I :) for our “welcome home” trip

Is the preferred studio room worth the extra points? Booking 3 studios for December for our trip (my family of 4, my parents, my in laws). We will have 2 cars and a double stroller. Not sure if it’s worth the extra points or not.. brand new members and never stayed there before even though it’s our home resort! Making our first visit in May just my husband and I :) for our “welcome home” trip
In my view, it’s not worth the extra points unless you need to be super close to the bridge over to Disney Springs. The Grandstand is close to the main buildings and has good access to DS either walking or by boat. Save the points and go standard! Congrats on your new contract!!

At SSR, Standard and Preferred refer to location. Preferred will be located in either Congress Park (near walk way to Disney Springs) or The Springs (near main building). Standard will be in one the remaining sections (Grandstand, Paddock or Carousel).

I prefer Standard and always request Grandstand since it's the first stop for theme park buses and is still close to the main building.

It depends what you want to do. If you plan on walking to DS a lot then it’s worth it. If you’d rather be near a feature pool, then I’d suggest Paddock since it has its own pool with slide and pool bar. We prefer preferred but for that many rooms I’d likely save the points.

Since I just went through the question with great responses, I can help! ha I would say at this point the standard view is actually pretty good for most people and with cars there you are better off. Congress park (prefer) was nice because it walks right into DS easily but not a huge difference for adults without tons of limitations physically. Studios in a lot of the year do not have a huge spread in points but I would say if it allows you to save another night of points... save it.

Just did the same thing this past March. If it were me I'd just do standard and request Paddock. Its middle of the pack for buses, but the paddock pool is excellent and its still not a far walk to the main carriage house and that pool their either.

Make sure when you get the res booked that you get on chat and make them notate that you are travelling together as they should put you in the same building. We were all in the same building but not super close to each other, but it worked just fine for us.

Im not sure what the obsession is grandstand and being first, we never once had a bus more than half full by the time we left for the parks (we are rope drop people so it was early), and coming back we never had one completely full at park close either. Buses for us were great. Even with paddock being in the middle of the loop, its not like it takes a long time for the other stops before it.

We usually book standard and request the Grandstand section. New Years this year we were booked in Preferred, requested and got Congress Park. We loved the short walk to DS and spent a lot of time there but, we both agree that we love the Grandstand section and standard is fine for us!

Just did the same thing this past March. If it were me I'd just do standard and request Paddock. Its middle of the pack for buses, but the paddock pool is excellent and its still not a far walk to the main carriage house and that pool their either.

Make sure when you get the res booked that you get on chat and make them notate that you are travelling together as they should put you in the same building. We were all in the same building but not super close to each other, but it worked just fine for us.

Im not sure what the obsession is grandstand and being first, we never once had a bus more than half full by the time we left for the parks (we are rope drop people so it was early), and coming back we never had one completely full at park close either. Buses for us were great. Even with paddock being in the middle of the loop, its not like it takes a long time for the other stops before it.
It being 1st in the stops is just part of that section. It's a great location close to the Carriage House with a nice quiet pool that has more than the typical with the water play area and the snack bar.

It being 1st in the stops is just part of that section. It's a great location close to the Carriage House with a nice quiet pool that has more than the typical with the water play area and the snack bar.
Yea but paddock has a slide and the kids play area is great there. Plus paddock grill.

To each their own but just don't get why so many people like it over paddock.

But hey everyone requesting that makes it that much easier for me to get paddock ;)

Yea but paddock has a slide and the kids play area is great there. Plus paddock grill.

But hey everyone requesting that makes it that much easier for me to get paddock ;)
Paddock looks pretty large, lots of room for long walks to springs on paper. Is it really that much worse of a walk? Also is the grandstand a realistic walk to springs on the backside there? Probably use the boat some but curious.

Both of you ha... what's the kid pool situation like between the two. I'll need one for a 1 year old and a four year old that's slowly learning to swim at the moment. Anything other than slide at one as a difference?

In my view, it’s not worth the extra points unless you need to be super close to the bridge over to Disney Springs. The Grandstand is close to the main buildings and has good access to DS either walking or by boat. Save the points and go standard! Congrats on your new contract!!
We go in August and to be honest because of the heat I prefer not to walk to DS. I figured we could stay at the Grandstand and request a room that is closest to the boat launch.

How is that walk?

We go in August and to be honest because of the heat I prefer not to walk to DS. I figured we could stay at the Grandstand and request a room that is closest to the boat launch.

How is that walk?
The walk isn’t far at all. If you request a room near the pool, you’ll be really close.

Both of you ha... what's the kid pool situation like between the two. I'll need one for a 1 year old and a four year old that's slowly learning to swim at the moment. Anything other than slide at one as a difference?
Paddock has a kids play area that’s a water version of a playground at at park. Has a little slide on it. Both the kids will love it. The main pool has a nice slide that 4 year old might like, my 3 year old went down it some.

Well, 2 of the buildings in Grandstand are close to the Carriage House, but I think that the other 2 are further away than some of the Paddock buildings. Plus, with the Paddock buildings, you can sometimes get real nice views of the lake and fountain.

Paddock looks pretty large, lots of room for long walks to springs on paper. Is it really that much worse of a walk? Also is the grandstand a realistic walk to springs on the backside there? Probably use the boat some but curious.
We stay primarily at SSR and always request the Paddock area near pool...Just an FYI on DS...you can get on any park bus and the next stop is congress park get off there and the walk is much shorter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter