SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Hello everyone! We just booked a very last minute trip for next week, arriving 3/7 and staying 6 days! So excited but feeling under prepared :oops: I was wondering if there are any specific services or locations that are currently closed due to the pandemic or refurbishment that we should be aware of? This will be our second time staying at SSR, however this will be more of a resort stay than our last time here.
The Turf Club is closed. That’s the table service at SSR. I think that and no boats to DS and the Spa is still closed.

Hello everyone! We just booked a very last minute trip for next week, arriving 3/7 and staying 6 days! So excited but feeling under prepared :oops: I was wondering if there are any specific services or locations that are currently closed due to the pandemic or refurbishment that we should be aware of? This will be our second time staying at SSR, however this will be more of a resort stay than our last time here.
The walking path from the Springs/Carriage House area to the west side of DS was closed in January. You can still walk to DS from Congress Park area.

Can anyone who has visited recently report how soon the busses have been starting before park open?

The Turf Club is closed. That’s the table service at SSR. I think that and no boats to DS and the Spa is still closed.

Thank you! I just learned that the boats aren't running. Kind of a bummer since we'll most likely head to DS a few times this trip.

The walking path from the Springs/Carriage House area to the west side of DS was closed in January. You can still walk to DS from Congress Park area.

Thank you! That's good to know.

We will be going back to SS in early June. We have actually stayed her the last 3 visits. My question is we have always requested the Grandstand section as I like being the first on/off the bus. However I really want a refurbished room. What is staying in the Paddock section like? Is the pool very busy? Should I put in special requests? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

We will be going back to SS in early June. We have actually stayed her the last 3 visits. My question is we have always requested the Grandstand section as I like being the first on/off the bus. However I really want a refurbished room. What is staying in the Paddock section like? Is the pool very busy? Should I put in special requests? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
The refurbishment is set to be finished this summer. They are already working on one building in the Grandstand. By June I would guess that at least 2 buildings in the Grandstand would be finished if not all of them. The company is working very quickly due to the virus and open buildings, working on 3 buildings at a time. The Grandstand is the last section to be finished. We are hoping to stay in the Grandstand in the fall.

What is staying in the Paddock section like?
I've been in both the 51-54 and 55-58 buildings for late February/early March trips. I like it there a lot! The Paddock pool seems to have enough space and chairs (with the Winter-trip caveat). The bridge makes the walk to Carriage House easy. The quick service location there is decent-to-good, minimizing the need to go to Carriage House at all. The 51 building is between the Carousel and Paddock bus stops, Carousel is the 2nd pick up. Even at the 55 building with the Paddock stop, I've never had a full bus, though I don't always get a seat.

If you have kids, you should be aware of some ongoing pool area closures. Here's the quote from the article: "the slide and kids play area at The Paddock pool are currently closed for updates. The project is slated for "winter" 2021 with no estimated completion date currently published. The Paddock pool itself remains open while the slide and kids play area are being renovated. The High Rock Spring main pool is also open, along with leisure pools in Congress Park and The Grandstand."

https://dvcnews.com/resorts/saratog...oga-spring-refurbishment-update-february-2021

If you have kids, you should be aware of some ongoing pool area closures. Here's the quote from the article: "the slide and kids play area at The Paddock pool are currently closed for updates. The project is slated for "winter" 2021 with no estimated completion date currently published. The Paddock pool itself remains open while the slide and kids play area are being renovated. The High Rock Spring main pool is also open, along with leisure pools in Congress Park and The Grandstand."

https://dvcnews.com/resorts/saratog...oga-spring-refurbishment-update-february-2021
Just a heads up- friends are there now, and the Paddock Pool itself is closed, even though online just said slide and play area.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if you can sleep 5 comfortably in a 1 bedroom? I just found out my MIL is joining us. 2 adults 2 children under 8 and a MIL

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if you can sleep 5 comfortably in a 1 bedroom?
Even in a refurbished room, I think it would be tricky given your travel party. SSR is one of the "second generation" DVC resorts (together with BRV, BWV, and BCV), and all of them have small living areas that make even four a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, the single bed is not quite a full-size twin, so depending on your MIL's stature, that might not work for her---and that means one of the adults would be sharing a bed with one of the kids.

I think OKW is a better 1BR choice, because the sleeper chair is full sized (and reasonably comfortable), and the living room is *much* bigger. If you go this route, be sure *not* to book a "Hospitality House" room, and request a unit a building numbered 30 or higher---the ones 29 and below do not have a door between the living room and the bath.

I'd probably be looking for a 2BR in your situation, but then again I tried to book 2BRs with just my wife and two kids, so YMMV.

Even in a refurbished room, I think it would be tricky given your travel party. SSR is one of the "second generation" DVC resorts (together with BRV, BWV, and BCV), and all of them have small living areas that make even four a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, the single bed is not quite a full-size twin, so depending on your MIL's stature, that might not work for her---and that means one of the adults would be sharing a bed with one of the kids.

I think OKW is a better 1BR choice, because the sleeper chair is full sized (and reasonably comfortable), and the living room is *much* bigger. If you go this route, be sure *not* to book a "Hospitality House" room, and request a unit a building numbered 30 or higher---the ones 29 and below do not have a door between the living room and the bath.

I'd probably be looking for a 2BR in your situation, but then again I tried to book 2BRs with just my wife and two kids, so YMMV.
Brian OKW is always our go to but not available. I gave them 3 choices and we'll go from there. Poly, SSR, and AKV ( Kidani)
Thanks

Question for the vets, first timer going in a couple weeks. How do the bus to the parks work exactly. Is there a bus for the resort that takes you to the main spot to get the parks or are there multiple stops for the parks buses. Contemplating whether it makes sense to drive instead of waiting for bus but want to hop later to MK from AK and we’re thinking it might be easier to use the buses to avoid parking at the TTC and making our way across via monorail or boat.

Question for the vets, first timer going in a couple weeks. How do the bus to the parks work exactly. Is there a bus for the resort that takes you to the main spot to get the parks or are there multiple stops for the parks buses. Contemplating whether it makes sense to drive instead of waiting for bus but want to hop later to MK from AK and we’re thinking it might be easier to use the buses to avoid parking at the TTC and making our way across via monorail or boat.
One bus, 5 stops. To the parks: Grandstand, Carousel, Paddock, Congress Park, The Springs (which is where the gift shop/main pool/concierge/etc are). Disney Springs buses go the opposite direction as does the internal shuttle. Not sure if there have been changes due to the limited capacity of buses now in the pandemic, but this is how it was prior to last March.

As mentioned above, there are five internal stops. When I stay at SSR, I typically take the bus to MK, but often will drive to other locations. If I was planning to start at AK and hop to MK, it might be a tossup, but I'd likely take the bus.

For us, I checked in online because our niece who goes to college in Florida was going to spend the week with my wife, daughter and I but, she was going to be there few hours before our flight landed and I wanted her to have access to the room as early as possible. She had been on a few trips with us in past years and none of us had seen the refurbed rooms yet so, we called her when we landed to check in on her and we asked what she thought of the refurbed room? She exclaimed “it’s amazing!!! They added a master bedroom and a full kitchen!!!” That’s when we found out we got upgraded.

I don’t think I would ever ask for an upgrade simply because of the fact that we only paid for a studio and, if we wanted a 1 bedroom, we could’ve used our points to pay for it. It just feels really cheap to me to ask.
If you ask for an upgrade they will, many times charge you points....because of this exact reason. You get what you paid for, sometimes you get dusted with a little magic though! I think of it like this, if you order a burger, would you then ask your waiter if they can just make it a filet mignon with no extra charge? Of course you wouldn't! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter