SSR....Just wondering...

OlderMan

DVC Member Since 1997
Just wondering about those of you who own or have stayed at SSR......

Have any of you ever been to the REAL Saratoga Springs in Upstate NY?

I lived there for just over 10 years and the first (only) time I was at SSR, I was by the pool, wearing a 'Saratoga Race Course' hat. A gentlemen passed by, saw my hat hat and asked if I was from SS, NY. When I told him that I had lived there, he introduced himself--he is/was a City Council member who lived about three blocks from me in SS, NY!!

If you've never been to SS, NY, try it. You'll be amazed by the similarities!

What a fun story! It IS a small world!:wizard:

We are going to have our first stay at FL SSR in October. I avoid NY at all cost (born there (Rochester) and don't like going back), but I imagine that NY SS is something to see.
Too bad it is in NY! Maybe some day.....

If you've never been to SS, NY, try it. You'll be amazed by the similarities

So, are you saying that Disney actually did do a good job of 'theming' the resort? The reason I ask is that in the past there have been complaints that SSR was not well themed so it is always nice to hear from people such as yourself that the theming is at least authentic. Maybe not a lot of Disney characters or design, but true to the real Saratoga. We've never been to NY, but love our Home at SSR.

DW and I lived in SS, NY for several years. We were stationed there at the Naval Nuclear Prototypes as instructors. I did a lot of re-enlistment ceremonies at the real Congress Park. There are a lot of similarities but SSR is a lot more fun than I remember SS, NY being due to the long, cold winters and lots of snow shoveling up there. The restaurants at DTD are also way better than those along the main street (Broadway??) in SS, NY.

Maybe they should set up a snow event each year at SSR to add to the realism? :rolleyes1

Except for the putrid water. If anyone has tasted the true Saratoga Springs spring water, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

My wife is from that area, and we visited the real Saratoga Springs when the DVC Resort was about to open.
I took a big gulp of the "water" from the fountain, and lets just say the water, along with my lunch ended up on the lawn next to the fountain.

On a side note, I didn't see tons of similarities. I saw some similarities in the basic architecture, but the city itself looked much older than the resort.
I know the heydays of the real Saratoga Springs are in the past, so maybe the resort looks as the city did years ago??

Anyway, interesting story and thanx for sharing. :smokin:

MG

I lived there for just over 10 years and the first (only) time I was at SSR, I was by the pool, wearing a 'Saratoga Race Course' hat. A gentlemen passed by, saw my hat hat and asked if I was from SS, NY. When I told him that I had lived there, he introduced himself--he is/was a City Council member who lived about three blocks from me in SS, NY!!

My Mother has. She lives in upstate NewYork. She has been there many of times.

I currently live in the "real" Saratoga Springs and SSR is my home resort. I love SSR, but the Florida feeling is overwhelming to me. (Which I enjoy because I am on vacation.)
We have roads called Broadway and Union Avenue like at SSR. The new pool next the Grandstand is a dead ringer for the starting gate at the track. I enjoy seeing the jockey silks in the hallway of the Turf club. In SS, NY we have many spas so the Spa theming at SSR is appropriate. However, I don't sit there and say, "Oh my Gosh, I feel like I'm sitting downtown on Broadway."

And to the above poster that said the DD restaurants are better than those on Broadway in the real SS, you'd better come back, because you couldn't have been here recently!

I'm proud to live in SS, NY...it's truly the nicest place I have ever lived. After all, Disney chose it to theme a resort after...I can't say that about a lot of other places I've lived! :rotfl2:

Thank you so much for sharing this. As stated by vandy, some have stated many times on this forum that SSR has "no theme".

It was always a case to me, that comment simply meant that the person had no idea what the real Saratoga Springs was like. Not that SSR lacked a theme.

Glad you enjoyed the Disney version. :thumbsup2

I live 3 miles from downtown Saratoga and I think the resort did a fabulous job with giving it the feel of Saratoga NY. Even the birdhouses by the pool, they have those at the track. The pictures in the main building, around the resort, and in the rooms. The naming of the buildings/areas etc, and the carousel in the Lobby. They even have some of the statues that are downtown in Congress Park, the track and other areas. It's great, and they did a great job.

I will be sure to bring my track shirt on our vacation in October. I love having two "homes" in Saratoga.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter