SSR Grand Villa Booking Strategy

UA DVC Member

Mouseketeer
Hi there. I have a question about booking strategy for a 3BR Grand Villa at SSR for March of 2025. For the reservation, we will need a total of 679 points. We own 295 SSR points and 150 VGF points, all with a December UY. We currently have 52 points left on our VGF contract for UY 2023 that I plan to bank in July. I can almost cover the reservation by using all of the 2024 points and borrowing all the 2025 SSR points (590 total). I can use the 52 banked points from the 2023 VGF and then borrow use some of the 2024 VGF points.

Here's my question. The window just opened for home-resort advantage booking at SSR, and I can cover 6 of the 7 nights we will need by using the 2024 and borrowing the 2025 SSR points. Should I go ahead and book those nights now and then pick up the last night with my VGF points when the 7-month window opens? Or should I just wait until the 7-month window opens and do it all in one reservation? We typically get 2BR villas at SSR, so I have a good feel for demand patterns with those. I don't know how quickly the 3BR Grand Villas there book up for mid-March dates.

Availability is good at the SSR GVs, although if you are going for spring break it may be slightly harder. If you don’t mind being ‘stuck’ with just 6 nights, I would book now (knowing that your borrowing is final), and try for the 7th night at the 7 month mark.

I would go ahead and book the 6 nights first. At least you'll be sure of those nights. Then when you reach the 7-month window book the other night. If it's not available then, be sure to wait-list it.

Hi there. I have a question about booking strategy for a 3BR Grand Villa at SSR for March of 2025. For the reservation, we will need a total of 679 points. We own 295 SSR points and 150 VGF points, all with a December UY. We currently have 52 points left on our VGF contract for UY 2023 that I plan to bank in July. I can almost cover the reservation by using all of the 2024 points and borrowing all the 2025 SSR points (590 total). I can use the 52 banked points from the 2023 VGF and then borrow use some of the 2024 VGF points.

Here's my question. The window just opened for home-resort advantage booking at SSR, and I can cover 6 of the 7 nights we will need by using the 2024 and borrowing the 2025 SSR points. Should I go ahead and book those nights now and then pick up the last night with my VGF points when the 7-month window opens? Or should I just wait until the 7-month window opens and do it all in one reservation? We typically get 2BR villas at SSR, so I have a good feel for demand patterns with those. I don't know how quickly the 3BR Grand Villas there book up for mid-March dates.
The bigger question may be if you want to borrow all 295 SSR points if you could use 205 VGF points (52 banked + 150 ).

If you're confident of avalialibty, you may consider borrowing 179 (679-295-205) and book with your 474 SSR now and the rest (205 VGF + SSR remaining) at the 7-month mark.

Safest course, providing the highest chance of getting what you want, is to do as you suggest and book now 6 nights with SSR points. And if your stay is Sunday to Sunday leave open the the last night (Saturday) because weekend nights (Fri and Sat) usually last longer than weekdays.

Nevertheless, you are probably safe even if you wait until 7-months out as March, other than an Easter week (not an issue in 2025), is a fairly moderate DVC demand time at WDW, and SSR GVs, both standard and preferred, have, in the past, usually been open at 7-months out.

If you are a gambler book the first 3 days and the last 3 days leaving a random single night in the middle open. Not sure the demand on single nights in a GV at SSR

Normally I would just say to borrow but since it's in a GV in SSR in March, I would not be concerned. March is one of the more expensive months based on point charts. If you're trying to stay in the current UY as much as possible and not borrow, I would book what you can now with SSR and wait until 7 months and book the remainder with your VGF points. If you're trying to preserve the VGF points then just book the 6 nights now through borrowing and add the 7th at 7 months out.

Last edited:
I always book what I can. In your case, you could book fewer nights to limit the borrowing so you can use more VGF…but as long as you are going to book it, then take advantage of doing at lease what you can.

@UA DVC Member - I would book the six nights now, and then at the 7 month mark (for the reservation, not for that 7th night)-- just modify the reservation and use the VGF points. The SSR contracts will be locked but you'll be able to select the VGF contracts for the 7th night.

Otherwise @wilkydelts suggestion is pretty ingenious and you can do a hybrid; at the 7 month mark for the first 3 days you could modify to add the 4th. Then just merge the two reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter