SSR decision...second thoughts.

tinaka613

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a trip for the first week of May and we came across the DVC rentals, which I've decided is the way to go. My original research and plan was to try to get in at the Bay Lake Towers. I'm going with my stepmom and 4 year old son, so being on the monorail seemed to be the perfect idea, that allowed us to easily head back to the room mid-day.
I'm using David's to rent the points and they can't secure BLT right now and offered up the week at SSR. I started researching SSR a bit more and it seems like a great place, but my only concern is the bus situation. Does anyone have estimate ride times to the parks?
I guess I'm looking for re-assurance that I made the right choice in switching to SSR.

I've always been fairly satisfied with SSR bus transportation...I like that they usually have a stop fairly close to the park entrances (vs the longer walk for values and moderates, and even some other Deluxe)

Occasionally there will be a miss with a long wait...one time that wait saved me from missing a quick down poor that just hit the MK ;). But I do like that SSR and OKW take the "back way" to the MK that avoids the parking toll both.

SSR is nice but I would wait for BLT. 4 year olds love the monorail! You have until the 7 month mark to book the room at BLT before it opens to everyone else int he DVC system. So you can wait a bit.
SSR is usually available and I bet he has a lot of those points to rent.

You have a bit of time so hold out for BLT. After the 7 month mark if nothing shows up then take SSR.

Tell Dave you want to wait - so if points show up they will know you wanted them. Find out how many people are on the wait list for points ahead of you (if any).
Good Luck.

For the 1st week in May you'd probably get something at BLT at 7 months so of that is truly your preference you might consider waiting. However SSR is a very nice resort too with multiple pools, a nice QS and the turf club is also quite nice. Once the bus leaves the resort it's a short ride to Epcot and DHS, and easy rides to MK and AK since it's very centrally located.

Thanks all! After talking more with my stepmom I think we're sticking with SSR. The proximity to Downtown Disney is a big plus in our eyes and the lower price means we have more to spend on other fun stuff.
Also, our week was fully booked for BLT standard studios already, so I felt a little less confident about waiting.

We stayed at SSR in early May and had no problems with busses at all. The ferry ride over to DTD is like a ride all by itself, so I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.

Even if you were staying at Bay Lake, you would take buses to Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and the two waterparks. And those buses are shared with another resort--I believe Wilderness Lodge.

Epcot is reachable via the monorail from BLT, but it requires a stop and change of trains at the TTC. (And on the return trip, your monorail will make stops at the Poly, Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom.)

To any of those destinations, on average it will take you just as long to travel from BLT as SSR, IMO.

Magic Kingdom is the only one with any real benefit. And even then, the walk is longer than it often seems.

SSR has some great water play areas for little kids. The new pool at the Paddock looks like great fun. There is a splash area at both the main pool, High Rock Springs, near the Carriage House and at the Grandstand. The pool at Congress Park area is not themed and doesn't have a play area, so you might want to avoid that area.

Echoing "Deb and Bill", we stayed at SSR in June in the Paddock area, and our DS5 just loved the splash area next to the Paddock pool. Played there each night of five, and often found companions -- your DS4 will have a great time. Grandstand section might also be a good option if your DS is not as brave with water.

We have young children and have stayed at SSR several times as well as BLT. The proximity to the monorail was nice at BLT, but as others are saying the pools and splash areas are far superior at SSR. The new splash area at Paddock is wonderful since it is gated. They also have playgrounds at SSR and I don't remember seeing any at BLT. We love SSR. You won't be disappointed.

Hmm...now you all have me re-thinking my section request. Was thinking Springs or Grandstand for the pools, but now the more I look at the Paddock area, it has greater appeal. I think the posts I had been looking at were older and didn't have info on the new pool at Paddock. My son would be more into the splash areas than actual pools, which pool has the biggest splash area?

I haven't been to the splash area at Grandstand, but the splash area at Paddock is much bigger than the one at High Rock Springs and has more features to play with. The splash area at High Rock Springs is mostly just fountains. The one at Paddock has a slide.

We loved he Springs section, but if your concern is bus service, I'd recommend the Grandstand. It is the first stop on the route so you should always get a seat. I've never encountered this, but I've read that if the bus fills up at the first couple of bus stops that they skip the next ones hoping that the next bus will catch up. We never had problems at the Srpings, but if transportation is your primary concern, I'd go with the Grandstand.

Here are pictures of the Paddock pool area.

We usually stay in the Congress Park section but our next trip with our DGD we will be staying in the Paddock section.

We stayed at SSR when my twins were 3, they love, love, loved the Paddock Pool splash area.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Another plus of the Paddock area is that it's a short walk to the Congress Park pool and the dry playground that overlooks DTD.

Another plus of the Paddock area is that it's a short walk to the Congress Park pool and the dry playground that overlooks DTD.

We love Congress Park, it has a quiet pool with a BBQ grill close by, we request DTD view and it's beautiful! The Paddock pool is close by, just a short walk and the kids enjoy it! We've enjoyed SSR many times, but this last time (June 18th-21) the buses were a bit challenging!

Hmm...now you all have me re-thinking my section request. Was thinking Springs or Grandstand for the pools, but now the more I look at the Paddock area, it has greater appeal. I think the posts I had been looking at were older and didn't have info on the new pool at Paddock. My son would be more into the splash areas than actual pools, which pool has the biggest splash area?

We just stayed at BLT and SSR last month. We loved both resorts so no wrong choices there!

Regarding the pools at SSR... We enjoyed both as well. We found the springs one to be a bit more lively with a few more options, but that also meant more crowds. The Paddock was very relaxing and we loved the slide and grill there. We will probably request the Paddock area next time because of this.

We just stayed at BLT and SSR last month. We loved both resorts so no wrong choices there!

Regarding the pools at SSR... We enjoyed both as well. We found the springs one to be a bit more lively with a few more options, but that also meant more crowds. The Paddock was very relaxing and we loved the slide and grill there. We will probably request the Paddock area next time because of this.

Well, it's official, we booked for 7 nights at SSR! I think I'm going to put in the request for Paddock during the online check-in and know that I probably wouldn't ask to be switched if we got the springs either.
Thanks for all the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter