• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR and Convention Gatherings

pharmlivin

Mouseketeer
It seems as though SSR could handle a good sized convention of some type. Has anyone ever stayed there when a convention was also booked? Just wondering how the facilities (pools, restaurants, etc) might be impacted if a good sized convention was there at the same time as our vacation.

SSR does not have a convention center, so I don't think many convention groups would book there as a main host resort.

And it's a sold out DVC resort. That means that DVD (the builder) owns very little of the resort which could be as little as 2% of the points. That would definitely not guarantee very many rooms for a convention. Plus as pharmlivin posted above there aren't any convention facilities.

Agreed - no convention facilities so no conventions.

I've been to many conventions at WDW and it's very rare to even have a back up hotel but when that does happen they tend to keep it within very close travel distance (ie, being able to walk or take the monorail). And since conventions are only filling rooms that would otherwise be filled with other guests it should not impact the facilities you mentioned even if SSR were a convention hotel. Well - other than you might see the bars be more busy and probably the pools less. ;)

Only stayed at SSR once and loved it (Adult trip - Grandma & Grandpa trip). We thought it would be great to bring the grandkids age 1 and 3. The pools were so nice for the really little ones and they could swim in a different pool everyday. Boat ride to DTD and the TREX restaurant, Toy Story etc., another plus. Artists Point, again, seemed very "young family" oriented. Just concerned about some major event since it is so large but I feel assured now that that would be unlikely. Thanks again, as always this board is invaluable to DVC owners and prospective owners.

Only stayed at SSR once and loved it (Adult trip - Grandma & Grandpa trip). We thought it would be great to bring the grandkids age 1 and 3. The pools were so nice for the really little ones and they could swim in a different pool everyday. Boat ride to DTD and the TREX restaurant, Toy Story etc., another plus. Artists Point, again, seemed very "young family" oriented. Just concerned about some major event since it is so large but I feel assured now that that would be unlikely. Thanks again, as always this board is invaluable to DVC owners and prospective owners.

SSR is a timeshare resort, not a hotel. Coronado Springs, Contemporary Resort, Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club all have convention centers and do host conventions.

SSR is a timeshare resort, not a hotel. Coronado Springs, Contemporary Resort, Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club all have convention centers and do host conventions.

Which is why I think its unlikely that a 2nd tower at the Contemporary would be all DVC, they need enough cash rooms for conventions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter