Squash ideas anyone?

AMClvsMKY

<font color=navy>DIS Veteran<font color=darkcoral>
I was given a couple different kind of squash - butternut & 1 that looks like a small unripened green pumpkin.
Anyone have any good but easy recipies for them?

Thanks in advance.

Am not sure about the small green one, but for the butternut . . .

I used to just slice it in half, scrape out the seeds & in the cavity put brown sugar, butter & sometimes apple slices. Then sprinkle the whole thing with cinnamon. After it's been in the oven for a while, I used to put butter on the flesh that is not the cavity to prevent it from drying out. Of course, now I just spray it with olive oil from my Misto. I know I bake it at 350, but forget how long. I'm sure it's at least a half hour. I just keep poking it with a knife to see if it's done.

I've also used the butternut as a replacement for the pumpkin in a pumpkin pie, or pumpkin bread.

We have a small specialty store near here where I get all my spices fresh, rather than in cans. I'm not sure if the canned variety has pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice, but I've used those instead of plain cinnamon when baking as described above. If you can get something like that, it is even better than cinnamon!

butter cup. any of the hard shell squashes can also be steamed. Cleaver or cut the squash into large pieces. Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Put on a rack in a kettle with some water - cover, cook until fork tender. Cool then scoop the flesh out of the shell (Much easier than peeling it raw!) Use in any recipe calling for mashed squash or pumpkin, or serve lightly seasoned with butter, S& P, nutmeg.

For the butternut, I suggest Butternut Squash Bisque. Great fall soup, salad and warm french bread makes a great quick dinner.

For the buttercup, cut in 1/2 or 1/4's place in a pan (lined w/ foil for easy cleanup) and top pieces of squash w/ butter, cinnamin, nutmeg, and maple syrup. Bake in oven until tender!

MMMMMMM I love butternut squash!! I cut it in half and bake it upside sidedown for about 1 hour. Then scrape out the insides and mix some butter and salt and pepper with it.

catheren, I would LOVE the recipe for the Butternut squash bisque. I love it, but haven't been able to find a recipe. Thanks!

Jill, I am nore than happy to share the recipe. Please let me know how it comes out. Sometimes I make day or two before (only go to step 2) then reheat and do step 3 before serving.

Catheren's Butternut Squash Bisque

1 lb. peeled and seeded butternut squash (save seeds and roast in oven)
5 cups chicken stock
½ cup brown sugar
to taste nutmeg
to taste cinnamon

1. Simmer the squash with chick stock until the squash is very soft.
2. Remove from heat and place into blender and on high-speed whip in the ½ cup of brown sugar and the cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. An optional third step would be to add heavy whipping cream and the roast seeds.
for garnish.

Enjoy !! Serves Two.

Thanks Catheren! It sounds wonderful (and easy!). Have you ever doubled or tripled the recipe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter