Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I love the race shirt material. They are super light and good for running and/or walking around the parks. I have plenty of sturdy t-shirts and such; these tend to be unique and well-suited for lots of situations for me. The only other thing I could possibly want is a sturdier moisture-wicking material like some of my other running shirts, but I care way more about the medals than the shirts.

Do you own any of the champion shirts? Leaps and bounds in terms of quality difference especially when it comes to the how the graphics are applied to the shirts.

I know I've shared a story before, but have zero desire to go find it so I'll summarize.

I think that getting rid of Champion was not entirely Disney's decision. Champion stopped selling their 'exclusive' C9 line at Target at the same time Disney stopped getting their shirts. That line eventually ended up being sold only on Amazon - I don't know if that's still the case.

A friend talked to a Target employee about the change because she didn't like the new brand Target had and the employee made it sound like Champion's decision to leave. How much did that employee actually know? Probably not much, but both Target and Disney stopping their collaborations at the same time makes me suspect Champion wanted to partner with Amazon.

I also like the new shirts and I haven't had the issues that I've seen others have with the designs sticking and fabric snagging (knock on wood). I do have one shirt with some bogus stitching, but I also don't know if I did something to it because it's a few years old.

The Champion race shirts were better quality and better cut.

The race-included shirts were always good quality Champion double dry fabric with raglan cut sleeves (better for runners' arm movements). Their current cut is cheap. And it's inconsistent: at Wine and Dine a few years ago, my challenge shirt was a completely different fabric, fit, and cut than all the other shirts. Very weird!

It doesn't have to be Champion. Brooks is great, New Balance also great! Etc.

I notice the Disney Store partnering with more name brands lately to cater to specific niches. I hope runDisney jumps back on that bandwagon and gets more athletics-focused merchandise brands as vendors and partners. (Remember the runDisney New Balance shoes?)

The Champion race shirts were better quality and better cut.

The race-included shirts were always good quality Champion double dry fabric with raglan cut sleeves (better for runners' arm movements). Their current cut is cheap. And it's inconsistent: at Wine and Dine a few years ago, my challenge shirt was a completely different fabric, fit, and cut than all the other shirts. Very weird!

It doesn't have to be Champion. Brooks is great, New Balance also great! Etc.

I notice the Disney Store partnering with more name brands lately to cater to specific niches. I hope runDisney jumps back on that bandwagon and gets more athletics-focused merchandise brands as vendors and partners. (Remember the runDisney New Balance shoes?)
I know Chicago participants say there are brand booths who can print race shirts at the expo. I'd totally sign up for that with a brand I like!

I've said this elsewhere but I don't think it's a coincidence that the free race shirts in general have gotten worse, across the board. I'm debating just tossing my RnR Las Vegas shirt because the collar is way too big. Never know what to expect with NYRR, there's no consistency in the cuts of the shirt. The name brands are likely too expensive and the reality is that by offering crappier shirts for free, racers are more enticed to buy higher quality expo shirts. I was VERY close to buying a shirt at RnR in part because I wasn't thrilled with the free one, then I checked the price tag (EIGHTY DOLLARS!!?!???!).

At the same time I'd say that the RD shirts aren't that bad. Not as good as Champion but the sizing for mine have been consistent and it's wearable and I guess that's all I can hope for at this point.

RE: Chicago, the Under Armour store had a screen printing area where they had a few designs you could put on their shirts. It was the basic material but obviously a big step above what you'd get for free. The one I got for free from there, which was technically Nike branded, ended up being too small for me. This was 2019, not sure if they're still sponsoring the free shirt.

I was VERY close to buying a shirt at RnR in part because I wasn't thrilled with the free one, then I checked the price tag (EIGHTY DOLLARS!!?!???!).
When I ran it (been a few years), their stuff was mostly Brooks and very well made. But it is super pricey. They do a LOT of sales, so keep an eye out for those emails. Chances are good you'll be able to pick up something later.

When I ran it (been a few years), their stuff was mostly Brooks and very well made. But it is super pricey. They do a LOT of sales, so keep an eye out for those emails. Chances are good you'll be able to pick up something later.
It’s Lululemon now. I knew it was pricier than other brands I normally buy from but there was still a bit of sticker shock!

I've said this elsewhere but I don't think it's a coincidence that the free race shirts in general have gotten worse, across the board. I'm debating just tossing my RnR Las Vegas shirt because the collar is way too big.
I didn’t run this year, but the material last year was way worse than Disney if that’s even possible. It was so thick/stiff/scratchy. I ran the 5k + half and tossed them both.

Can anyone tell me about the bibs for the Challenge? Is it one bib for all three races? The only other challenges I've done have been just two races, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Do you own any of the champion shirts? Leaps and bounds in terms of quality difference especially when it comes to the how the graphics are applied to the shirts.
I've got lots of both, I significantly prefer the current material over the champion brand ones. I've never had any issues with quality either.

The only times I wear race shirts anymore are 1. Training runs when it’s chilly enough to want a long sleeve over a short sleeve, but will warm up enough to want to ditch the long sleeve - those old Champion race long sleeves are light enough that they don’t bug me tied around my waist, and 2. When I use them as a throwaway for race day. I have so many of them piled up, I really don’t need or want any new ones… but I pick them up, anyway, because they do make good padding for shipping out my medals when I sell them. :laughing:

No sign of the Race Guide yet, right?

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out race outfits and I don't want to clash with the bibs. Ha!

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out race outfits and I don't want to clash with the bibs. Ha!
Unfortunately, there’s no way to predict what the bib will look like, so you’ll have to embrace the mystery and potential clashing 😄😄

I have been running at marathon weekend pretty consistently since 2015 and this will be my 3rd spring surprise and in my opinion the shirt quality has really suffered. I do wear my race shirts a lot at night for pjs or under sweaters for work. The ones that are most comfortable, held up the best and seemed sized right are the Champion shirts from pre-2020.

My biggest gripe is that they have gotten smaller. If I put an XL from 2018 MW to the XL from 2024 MW, it is clearly larger. But at least now the shirts are not itchy like the 2020 shirts were!

My biggest gripe is that they have gotten smaller. If I put an XL from 2018 MW to the XL from 2024 MW, it is clearly larger. But at least now the shirts are not itchy like the 2020 shirts were!
this… I was getting XL in the champion era then the 19-20 season they switched to “in house” the 5k shirt just fit and I wasn’t able to swap the 10k shirt I couldn’t even pull down over my chest (was able to swap XXL which fit the same if not tighter then my XL 5k) ever since the XXL have ranged from snug to oversize

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter