• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Prayers for those involved, that sounds terrible.

A different incident, but I was 5 feet away from being involved in a chair athlete/runner collision right before mile 8 (I think) at the bottom of the last ramp before you get to Epcot, roughly where there was DJ as you get to the bottom and turn. I had passed the chair athlete heading up the ramp, then when I was towards the bottom of the ramp when I got close to the DJ I hear a commotion/people yelling to my left and it’s the chair athlete going at a very fast speed. They either lost control or misjudged the turn and collided with a runner in the back of the leg. She somehow didn’t fall face forward. Hopefully everyone was in fact OK but it looked scary for both of them. Shook me a bit as I was so close.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it’s not uncommon for there to be deaths during these races. In 2017 and 2019 during the Wine and Dine runners died. These incidents are usually cardiac arrests brought on by underlying heart disease exacerbated by physical stress and electrolyte imbalances. If EMS was doing CPR and using an AED, chances are this runner had some sort of ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. Running is physically taxing, and people should make sure they are cleared by a physician before signing up for these races. I always tell people during marathon weekend that we’re running a race where the first guy to try it yelled “Nike!” and then died.

Another Springtime Surprise Weekend in the books! I love SS, but I think I’m ready to try a cooler temperature race at WDW. ::yes:: Next year, the races fall right before my son’s birthday, so it was a little bit of a bummer, knowing I’d be skipping next year’s.

But! Despite the humidity, I managed to PR my 10K and the 10-Miler by a lot! I got a sub 1:55 finish which I was so shocked by. I was hoping for a 2:05.

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and friendly at the meetups in the mornings! It made the time pass faster, and I enjoyed the conversations.
Between the plastic bag tip and the bathroom break in the corral chute, you all took my DH’s trepidation away from when he first said, “We’re going over to talk to people you don’t actually know?”:rotfl2:
Congrats in the PR!!!

Wow, that is really sad to hear about the runner(s) taken away in ambulance. Use of an AED is significant and I hope they arw recovering. Puts the day in perspective for sure.

I have been feeling a little down because I did not have a good day and had to back off all plans within the first two miles. My time was fine but no where near my intended. Well that and a failed attempt to get a guardians virtual Que spot in the last quarter mile. I pulled over and tried at 6:59. And right at 7 hit the button for Tron… oh well, had success at 1pm! Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Nice to see you on the course @Naomeri!

Unfortunately it’s not uncommon for there to be deaths during these races. In 2017 and 2019 during the Wine and Dine runners died. These incidents are usually cardiac arrests brought on by underlying heart disease exacerbated by physical stress and electrolyte imbalances. If EMS was doing CPR and using an AED, chances are this runner had some sort of ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. Running is physically taxing, and people should make sure they are cleared by a physician before signing up for these races. I always tell people during marathon weekend that we’re running a race where the first guy to try it yelled “Nike!” and then died.
We were there for those. My wife thought the 2017 was me. So glad it wasn’t.

Prayers to those who needed assistance today.

Another Springtime Surprise Weekend in the books! I love SS, but I think I’m ready to try a cooler temperature race at WDW. ::yes:: Next year, the races fall right before my son’s birthday, so it was a little bit of a bummer, knowing I’d be skipping next year’s.

But! Despite the humidity, I managed to PR my 10K and the 10-Miler by a lot! I got a sub 1:55 finish which I was so shocked by. I was hoping for a 2:05.

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and friendly at the meetups in the mornings! It made the time pass faster, and I enjoyed the conversations.
Between the plastic bag tip and the bathroom break in the corral chute, you all took my DH’s trepidation away from when he first said, “We’re going over to talk to people you don’t actually know?”:rotfl2:
Congratulations on the PRs! It was fun running into you and riding Runaway Railway together.

I don’t know if it was the heat clouding peoples’ judgment but I saw so many near-misses (and the actualy chair collision at Mile 8, I was right behind the chair athlete coming down the hill) because runner etiquette seems to have gone out the window at these races. They need a video loop in the staging area about moving to the right if you’re going slower/walking and having more awareness about who is around you.

I don’t know if it was the heat clouding peoples’ judgment but I saw so many near-misses (and the actualy chair collision at Mile 8, I was right behind the chair athlete coming down the hill) because runner etiquette seems to have gone out the window at these races. They need a video loop in the staging area about moving to the right if you’re going slower/walking and having more awareness about who is around you.
Yes! The amount of people walking/on their phones on the left side of the course was disappointing and downright unsafe. I agree an educational video before each race may help this.

Did anyone do the splash party? How was it?
I thought it was fun. I got there around 6 and left at about 930. I just did the wave pool and the lazy river because I wanted the movement without actually being on my feet too much.
Did anyone that got a pre race photo with Baymax actually get the photo? Only one I’m missing.
Mine finally came in this evening

Yes! The amount of people walking/on their phones on the left side of the course was disappointing and downright unsafe. I agree an educational video before each race may help this.
Race etiquette has been an issue at every RunDisney race I’ve attended or stalked from afar. It’s important to note, though, that RunDisney does not ask walkers to move to the right. They ask walkers to move to the side of the course. Even that certainly isn’t followed consistently, but walkers moving to the left side aren’t necessarily failing to follow etiquette.

Did anyone do the splash party? How was it?

We did! It was fun! Little wait for slides and great character meets…Carl, Russell, and Dug were meeting together. Also saw Smee and Hook. Dance party with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale.

Free treats were plentiful…Mickey bars and ice cream sandwiches, frozen fruit bars, and popcorn. Self serve fountain drinks.

Temps were fine in the beginning but when the wind picked up, it was cold when you got out of the water!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter