Spring Break vs. Thanksgiving

marcar12

Mouseketeer
We are hoping to take a Disneyland trip in 2021! It will be our first time ever going there, although we have been to Disney World two times (and loved it.)

Our summer of 2021 is already looking pretty booked (due to vacations/activities from this summer being rescheduled for next summer), but we would still love to keep our original plan of visiting Disneyland next year as well. And that leaves us with two options.... Spring Break or Thanksgiving.

Our Spring Break will be the 3rd week of March. And Thanksgiving will be the same week as everyone else, obviously :)

We know that crowds will be high at both of these times, but which one do you think would be preferred? Our kids will be 14.5, 12, 8, and 5.

Thanks for any input!

Both times tend to be busy but Black Friday and the Saturday afterwards will likely be busier than Spring Break.

Thanksgiving is usually the start of Christmas season so it's when rides like Haunted Mansion, Maters Junkyard Jamboree, It's a Small World, etc get overlays. Historically, they also take out the normal parade, fireworks and World of Color for Christmas versions.

Due to lower crowd levels and the fact that you probably haven't seen Magic Happens, the current version of World of Color and Mickey's Mix Magic, I recommend going for Spring break unless your family really likes seeing Christmas decorations. That said, the virus situation may not have ended by then so you may feel better about pushing the trip back.

edit: Removed Jungle Cruise because it doesn't do the overlay anymore.

Last edited:
Both times tend to be busy but Black Friday and the Saturday afterwards will likely be busier than Spring Break.

Thanksgiving is usually the start of Christmas season so it's when rides like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Maters Junkyard Jamboree, It's a Small World, etc get overlays...
DL hasn't had the JC holiday overlay in a few years. OP, if you like holiday decorations and atmosphere, go with Thanksgiving. If not, go with Spring Break. And keep up with this board for all the news and announcements about the reopening of the parks. No one knows at this point what the parks will be like next year -- still using a reservation system? back to "normal"? -- so keep yourself well informed!

I think Thanksgiving is about a million times better than Spring Break. Holiday decorations are amazing, and the crowds seem less overwhelming when the weather is cool instead of hot.

However, as noted above, all that might change when DL reopens. Based on videos of WDW reopening, if DL was on the same kind of reservation system in spring I would probably jump on that because the worst thing about Spring Break (crowds) won't really exist. Whereas who knows what the world will look like in November 2021, but it's possible by then that a vaccine or something will have allowed DL to go back to normal crowding, and you would have missed your chance to enjoy the parks with the kinds of low crowds we haven't seen in decades.

However, as noted above, all that might change when DL reopens. Based on videos of WDW reopening, if DL was on the same kind of reservation system in spring I would probably jump on that because the worst thing about Spring Break (crowds) won't really exist. Whereas who knows what the world will look like in November 2021, but it's possible by then that a vaccine or something will have allowed DL to go back to normal crowding, and you would have missed your chance to enjoy the parks with the kinds of low crowds we haven't seen in decades.

Unless you can go in the first week of re-opening, I wouldn't factor low wait times too much into the decision. Tokyo opened to 5 min wait times almost across the board on July 1 but after capacity has increased a bit, we're already seeing 60 minute waits on some rides. A similar thing happened in Shanghai after two weeks. The spaced seating and extra cleaning of some rides dramatically lowers throughput so even if there were significantly fewer guests than usual, wait times for some rides could end up longer than normal. There's also no way to cut down on wait because Fastpasses are currently suspended.

Tokyo and WDW currently don't have shows while Shanghai and Hong Kong don't have the normal parade or nighttime entertainment. The shows that Hong Kong does have are filling up a lot earlier than usual due to decreased capacity for social distancing.

For a frequent park visitor, it's absolutely the time to visit whether it's potentially lower waits or to see "pandemic exclusive" things like socially distanced queues and re-imagined meet & greets. But I'd recommend first time visitors to wait until regular entertainment is available and they don't have to worry about kids being uncomfortable in a mask.

... But I'd recommend first time visitors to wait until regular entertainment is available and they don't have to worry about kids being uncomfortable in a mask.
I agree with this. There is so much riding on a first time Disney trip -- and so much missing right now in all the parks. Those who have the luxury of being able to visit often may not mind as much. But for those who may be making a once in a lifetime trip or will be making their first impressions trip, I'm not sure pandemic conditions are ideal for that.

Unless you can go in the first week of re-opening, I wouldn't factor low wait times too much into the decision. Tokyo opened to 5 min wait times almost across the board on July 1 but after capacity has increased a bit, we're already seeing 60 minute waits on some rides. A similar thing happened in Shanghai after two weeks. The spaced seating and extra cleaning of some rides dramatically lowers throughput so even if there were significantly fewer guests than usual, wait times for some rides could end up longer than normal. There's also no way to cut down on wait because Fastpasses are currently suspended.
Those who have the luxury of being able to visit often may not mind as much. But for those who may be making a once in a lifetime trip or will be making their first impressions trip, I'm not sure pandemic conditions are ideal for that.

Yes to all of this. Enjoying the low crowds in the pandemic conditions is definitely something that will likely appeal more to frequent visitors, who have already seen Fantasmic and the fireworks and everything. What I was thinking about was less the low wait times (though that would be a part of it if available) and more the ability to enjoy the parks as actual "parks" with a park-like atmosphere. Too often going to the parks is more like an ordeal to be endured or a challenge to be conquered with military planning and precision. Being able to stroll around DL at any pace you wish with views of the beautiful theming and groundskeeping rather than mobs of sweaty, stressed-out tourists is a very rare thing these days.

[Note: It is entirely possible that I am grasping at straws here to try to make the best of a bad situation. The situation in the other Disney parks is definitely not ideal and many park experiences will be missed, but I think there is a trade-off to be considered. And of course it is utterly impossible to predict what conditions will be like at the parks next year, so 🤷‍♂️.]

My mindset is hold off until things return to normal. Not this "New Normal" garbage. That isn't normal. Wait until it's a true vacation, not another exercise in restrictions. That's where my mind is at and Spring of 2021 won't be that. Fall of 2021 may not be either. Just have to wait and see.

My thought would be to go Spring Break for less crowds. Not all school systems do Spring Break the same week. Some will do the 3rd week in March, some the 4th, and others get Spring Break the week after Easter. However, basically every school takes off day after Thanksgiving, and many take off that whole week.

My spring break is the 3rd week of March typically, it is the busiest of the park times except the two weeks between Christmas and New Years. with my AP, I rarely go between mid March to Easter. I think it is fun to be on vacation during Turkey day, plan a meal with a reservation in advance and expect to pay more though. With Covid, you are better off with something later, too. My vote is Thanksgiving week.

Keep in mind that this year, there are schools that decided to skip a fall break and end the term at Thanksgiving. So the traditional Thanksgiving Break will go until January for those schools. Will this help spread out the crowds at DLR? Should be interesting to see if/how this affects the crowd patterns.

Assuming COVID isn't a factor, I would always choose Thanksgiving over spring break. Spring break is usually warmer that I'd like and for some reason, just feels way more crowded. Thanksgiving is crowded, too, but the weather is much cooler, which makes that many bodies in close proximity more tolerable. Plus, the Christmas decorations are amazing.

I do suspect that Thanksgiving will be far more packed this coming year though as there's a better chance we'll be free of COVID and that everything will be fully open. I know a lot of people that usually go during spring break that said they plan on waiting until the second half of 2021 due to fears related to their health and quality of experience for price.

Another thing to consider would be the potential food & wine festival in DCA that is usually open by the 3rd week of March. If that is more your jam than the holiday decorations, spring break is a great option. Both weeks are likely to be crowded, so just assuming there will be people is probably the best bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter