Spring break trip jitters- HELP!

sam1998

Mouseketeer
My husband’s work schedule means it is very difficult to get summer vacation or vacation during most school breaks. For 2019 it is likely that the only time he will be off while our son is out of school or our districts speing break (last week of March-beginning the 25th).

I’ve always read how insane spring break crowds are. I’ve been early October and early June, but I’m guessing those are no comparison? How will the late Easter impact spring break crowds? Will all weeks be heavy, or will the crowds be spaced?

Honestly, spring break is a crazy busy time. That being said, as long as you prepare for it and go in with the right mindset, you can still have a great trip. I took my 8 year old son to Magic Kingdom for a day last spring break (kind of a whim--made the decision last minute and stayed off-site), and it was one of the best trips we've had. It was insanely busy, but we were ready for that and had just planned to do what we could and have a great time--and we did! We did, however, see multiple other families melting down in the parks :). I get it, if you don't research and aren't prepared for the reality of it, it will be unpleasant.

ETA: We ARE AP holders and DVC members, so i think that makes a difference, in that we KNEW we'd got multiple other opportunities to do things if we didn't get them done on that particular trip.

We went this Spring Break the full week before the week leading up to Easter. It was busy, but we went in knowing to expect crowds and we still managed to fast pass pretty much everything we wanted. We got tons of fast passes a day and grabbed all the ADR's and fast passes we wanted on the days the trip opened up. So yes busy, but it didn't make our trip any less fun.

I’ve been to disneyLAND during Spring Break and it wasn’t overwhelming for me, but I’m thinking of Spring Break 2019 for WDW next year as well. DS’ falls during the week after Easter. I’ve been reading conflicting info regarding SB. Some say it’s doable, others say they couldn’t get ANY additional FP+ whatsoever after the first 3. That part scares me :sad2:

We did Spring Break last year in March, for the first time. We have been at all times of year, including the week before Christmas in 2017. Spring Break was THE most crowded to me. Not "go home" crowded, but intense. The thing that drove me over the edge on that trip were bus waits. Over an hour almost every night. So after that trip, I vowed never to get back on a Disney bus, and 6 trips later (yes, in the last 12 months...), I have not broken my vow. And it has been a spectacularly positive change for our family. We Lyft or Minnie Van to and from the parks, or walk if we can (we now stay in BC usually, so we can walk to EPCOT and DHS). I can deal with crowds, use Mobile Ordering to get food in the parks (another life saver that wasn't available yet when we were there Spring Break, but it is now; you can even get a beer through Mobile Ordering!), and we Refresh for FPs. It can be a fun time, weather can be great, but I suggest bus-avoidance!!!

We've been twice over Spring Break and twice over Thanksgiving week. I'd take Spring Break any day, as different school districts have different break times. And with Easter be in late April in 2019, breaks may really be spread out.

Easter is April 21st this year, so it won't have any impact on your trip. Disney has adjusted offers and operations to even things out during the year. It will be busy, but it always is. Go and have fun!

If this is when your family can go, I say "Embrace it" and plan accordingly. At least the weather should be nice and because you'll be armed with a plan and knowledge obtained here on the Dis you'll be streets ahead of most of the people there.

I wouldn't worry too much. Any holiday or crazy crowd levels can be managed with a good solid plan, RD, afternoon breaks and going with a good attitude. If you go without a plan and no ADR and expect to get on rides with 15 minute waits then you will be disappointed. It is a family vacation so you just need to relax and enjoy your time with your family.

I really can not emphasize enough how much you can get done at RD so really try to do this a couple morning of your trip.

I've been there during Spring Break and it is busy.
But, if you prepare for it, get ADRs early and get your FPs, it works. As long as you go into it knowing it will be busy, and prepare, you'll be fine.
RD will be your friend.

I have been on Spring Break in the past, and will be going again this year (a couple weeks earlier). My advice is to pay attention to the crowd calendars and some of the "rules" the DISers talk about (don't go to MK on Monday, avoid EMH, eat counter service at off times, etc). When the crowds are moderate it doesn't make as much difference, but that year we went I overheard a woman on the phone saying they were "at MK ALL DAY and could only ride 3 rides!" While we did our entire agenda at AK with no problems. I have also been when there are very few people (the full week before Thanksgiving was really quiet for us a few years ago), and I must say I prefer having some crowds! Adds to the festivities and people watching! And we know how NOT to be behind them all in line, which is all that matters to us! :flower1:

We will be there that week if you decude to go! There's a thread somewhere on here where someone was polling when everyone's spring breaks are. Our week had the most votes, so I do expect it to be busy.
However, I learned an important lesson on my February trip. Ignore the crowd calendars, make a plan and be flexible! I went on what was supposed to be one the lowest crowd weeks of the year (super bowl weekend and the week following) and it was insane! Predicted to be like 2's and 3's but was actually 8+ everyday. We were totally shocked at how busy it was! But we stuck to our plan and still had an amazing time! We would've liked the lower crowds we were expecting, but the big crowds were manageable. And at least for a time like spring break where large crowds are expected, the hours will likely be extended and more staff will be brought in to help with crowds.
One final thing to note, if you are flying, I would check tickets now. Southwest flights were opened up yesterday and they are outrageously high and selling out very quickly.

The weather should be great, you’re prepared crowd-wise, I think you’ll have a great time. Enjoy your planning and try not to stress.

We went 2 years ago during Spring Break (second week of March) and are going again in 2019 same week. It was crowded (standby wait times were often well over 100 minutes), but with decent planning we were able to do almost everything we wanted. There were still fastpasses available in the afternoon and since we eat at off times, there were dining reservations day off. Plan and be flexible and it'll be a great trip.

We're planning a 5 night trip flying in on March 21st. I was hoping it would be before the spring break crowd since Easter is so late this year. Now this thread has me nervous.

we went april 2018,so tail end of spring break.... bi g family trip, we got to the parks before open every day and had a blast (with a good fp plan) by mid afternoon (2) we took a break from the busy (hot) crowds,and sometimes headed back into park after dinner when things cooled a bit. It was great. But hot midday sun + crowds was a no go for me.

I've gone spring break the past many years and it's doable but a good plan will help you out. If this is the "gotta do it all" type trip then you def want to take advantage of early morning hours and rope drops. I never had an issue getting additional FP after my first 3 and we do a lot of park hopping. I wasn't super picky about my subsequent FP - but always found something I wanted to do right after I had used one - got another. Make dinner reservations in advance if you want them - restaurants will be crowded. Eat at off peak times for QS. The weather can be wonderful (or not - lol) but not as hot as the summer - love that. Go and enjoy! :)

We love going at Spring Break. We are going the week before you. This will be our 4th time. The weather is pretty nice. The crowds are busy, but not NYE busy. Just plan and be prepared. It won't be nearly as crowded with Easter being later. I think that's what most people think of as "Spring Break", but our Spring Break, most of Texas, is usually the 2nd or 3rd week of March. We have been when it was closer to Easter, and it was busier at that time, 8-10 crowd levels. Touring Plans is predicting 6-8 crowd levels, so that's not bad at all. In fact, your week looks slightly, 1 point, less crowded than the week before. Flower & Garden at Epcot is fun too. It actually can be quite chilly for Florida. Last Spring Break, the highs were in the low 70s/high 60s, which was almost too cold for our son to swim. We have thin blood being from Texas.

We're planning a 5 night trip flying in on March 21st. I was hoping it would be before the spring break crowd since Easter is so late this year. Now this thread has me nervous.

Texas schools traditionally have Spring Break the 2nd or 3rd week of March. Almost the entire city of Austin has Spring Break at the same week. I can't tell you how many people we see at the parks that we didn't even know were going, and they aren't regulars like us, usually first or second timers. Early March is usually really dead though.

Thank you all! You’re making me feel a little better. We have done Disney a handful of times before and I’m pretty confident in our touring strategy (skip MK on Monday’s, avoid parks with EMH, rope drop every park, good FP strategy, etc). We did Disney the first week of June 2017 and the crowds seemed very reasonable to us, we had a good plan, and in two days at MK did most stuff at least twice. I’m taking deep breaths and trying to embrace the busy LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter