Spring break airfares to Orlando -- ouch.

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Just booked our spring break air to Orlando. Good thing I budgeted as if I wouldn't have any freebie airfares and ended up doing three out of eight legs with points as I really underestimated what airfare costs would be. That is the only reason I am within budget. I go to Orlando almost every year or every other year and this is the most I ever paid to fly there. At least I have a great condo for a reasonable cost. The two of us flying from Chicago on Southwest had to pay about $440 round trip. Southwest flights from St. Louis were absolutely outrageous for the days we wanted about $740 pp round trip. Really early or late times we wouldn't want dropped that to about $600 pp. Spirit was even higher than that - close to $800 round trip to start before any add ons. Those are two of the three carriers that go to Orlando direct. I ended up booking on Frontier and paid $500 pp (I did pay an extra $81 each way to get that Frontier Works Bundle (it's for your party, not per person) that let's me get a full refund if someone can't go (one in our party really wants to go, but might not be able to.). I was going to do Southwest points for that person, but did this instead and used points for the trips from Chicago where Southwest was my best deal.

To get moderately reasonable fares I would have needed to fly on midweek days.

These prices sound more like flights to the Caribbean for us than to Orlando and back. I think I'm spoiled too, as for the few trips that I've done during the pandemic I've gotten really reasonable prices for flights.

Anyone else seeing higher prices than expected for Spring Break?

Last edited:
Prices have been super high. I booked the international portion of a trip during spring break flying in/out of Miami when it came out as the price was decent (it's since tripled in price) and thought I'd just grab a flight to/from Miami later as I thought the prices for that portion were a bit high (@ $400/pp). I started pricing flights out last week and was shocked to find flights averaging $700-$1200 per person from Boston to Miami! I could get it down around $500 with two stops. I won't fly a lost cost carrier (Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit etc.) due to a prior bad experience. I checked early yesterday morning and was able to find a flight for $431 with a stop on the way down and non-stop on the way back. I also had enough miles with the carrier to get one free ticket so I really lucked out.

I need flights for early March. I have looked and prices are about what I would expect at this point. Still too high for me. I have bought the last couple years for early March around mid-January. I check the prices weekly until about 3-4 months out and then start more frequent checking and purchase when it gets to a price I am comfortable with. I have heard best airfare is typically 6-8 weeks out.

Flights for Presidents week out of Bradley (Hartford) to Orlando are $800 per person round-trip on SWA....Checked all other airlines, very similar....For comparisons sake this flight averages about $250 pp rt for the last 15 -20 years......It's a new world....

I've been playing TA and booking weekly flights for DH for well over a year now. I currently have him all set through the end of Feb. I told him we'll need to come up with a Plan B travel plan if things don't change, because prices in March and April are insane!

For reference: during much of the pandemic I was finding one way as low as $20 and I seldom paid more than $49, but moving into March and April some of the dates I want are in the $200 - $300 range. And yes, that's one way and for the same airports/flights we've been using all along.

Besides which, it was a bit eerie seeing only 2 or 3 cars (if that) at the airport back in the day... but the new plan will likely be DH hopping the train into downtown and I'll pick him up there because traffic jams at the airport are back with a vengeance.

My usual flight for spring break is at $2k per person round trip! Portland, OR only has one direct flight/carrier. Switching airlines and to connecting flights still comes in well over $1k per person 😭.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter