Splitting meals

Thomasboys

Mouseketeer
We are going in March and usually use the DDP, but that won’t be an option. Is it possible to share meals at TS restaurants? I understand family style restaurants wouldn’t do that, but what about regular places such as Yak and Yeti or Coral Reef?

Generally speaking, it’s doable, but be prepared to pay a split fee at a Signature venue. I believe some of the places that are not Disney run/ controlled do not allow sharing however.

My wife and I sometime split meals as she eats like a bird. I also don't recall having any issues or extra charges to split. In fact, they are typically quite generous. When splitting a entire, I've found they will plate it with half the entree but full sides on both plates! (SciFi Drive-in at DHS has been especially nice about splitting meals).

And while tipping is a personal matter, please consider tipping based upon the price of two full meals as wait staff is providing that service.

Cheers, Steve 8-)

My DH and I split meals all the time. We will order an app, an entree, and a dessert to split. Plenty of food! Our favorite places to do this are Liberty Tree Tavern (for lunch) and Yak and Yeti.
Liberty Tree doesn't offer the menu ordering currently. Its pilgrims feast for all. No splitting.

We were at WDW in November and the waitstaff asked us at every meal if we wanted to split the bill.

My wife and I sometime split meals as she eats like a bird. I also don't recall having any issues or extra charges to split. In fact, they are typically quite generous. When splitting a entire, I've found they will plate it with half the entree but full sides on both plates! (SciFi Drive-in at DHS has been especially nice about splitting meals).

And while tipping is a personal matter, please consider tipping based upon the price of two full meals as wait staff is providing that service.

Cheers, Steve 8-)

Yes, Tip the server like you ordered a meal for each person. They still have the same amount of work to do and provide the same service to everyone at the table... While people choose to split meals for various reason, it's really not fair for a table of 4 to split 2 meals, and run the server to death, with getting extra waters, extra bread, or whatever... then only tip her for the 2 meals, when he or she waited on all 4 people...
As long as folks take care of the servers, then the restaurants will con't to allow this, if not you could see a split charge... or not allow it at all...

I know one of my favorite place to have a girls lunch just started the split charge, and it's almost as much as the lunch specials. Or you can get a half plate or entree'... at like a dollar or two less...

We split at mama Melrose last night. Chicken parm and a salad was plenty for two of us!

At Gastons I ordered a cup of drip coffee and asked for 2nd cup because I just wanted a little of my moms, and he asked if I wanted him to split it into two for me.

This got me thinking that they should offer 1/2 portions or 1/4 portions for a reduced cost.

Example get half portion for 60% cost or get quarter portion for 35% price.

Restaurant could make more money and people wouldn't be forced in to meal just to split.

This got me thinking that they should offer 1/2 portions or 1/4 portions for a reduced cost.

Restaurant could make more money and people wouldn't be forced in to meal just to split.
If they did, more people would do it. Which is probably why they don't. Split or a kids meal is definitely they way to go.

There is a service/cost analysis that they do. It has to be worth their while to sell. Many food items have low margins so half the amount of steak does not necessarily cost half the price. Plus it is a ordering nightmare to sell half or quarter portions of things and not knowing how many of those portions that you will sell. I really don't think that splitting meals happens that often compared to how many meals they serve.

There is a service/cost analysis that they do. It has to be worth their while to sell. Many food items have low margins so half the amount of steak does not necessarily cost half the price. Plus it is a ordering nightmare to sell half or quarter portions of things and not knowing how many of those portions that you will sell. I really don't think that splitting meals happens that often compared to how many meals they serve.

Ya it's why I didn't say keep the same price. They know the math and would have to set prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter