Splitting meals at table service

Tinkaboo

DIS Veteran
I don’t want to sound cheap…we are two seniors who can’t eat a lot! Do the table service restaurants frown on splitting entrees? What about a prix fixe meal, like at La Creperie? My husband would probably go ahead and order it but I couldn’t eat all that NOR do I want to carry food around with me.

First time back to WDW in about 18 years…before we had child with us and mostly ate QS and I had more of an appetite than I do now.

I just don’t want to commit a faux pas or look stupid. Longtime DL passholder and we do things a lot differently out here on the coast. More QS, and half the time I don’t even eat in the park. Hubby hates DL, I mostly do solo trips but he wanted one more trip to WDW. He likes the food choices there and the entertainment, he feels DL is just “rides”.

TIA for feedback!

We've split meals at table service, and there have also been times where one of us doesn't order because they weren't hungry and the cast member brought us an extra plate unsolicited.

I haven't split an entire prix fixe meal at La Creperie, but I did give my dessert crepe to my SO.

For prix fixe meals, I doubt you would have an issue with splitting meals or skipping a course, but both you and your husband would be expected to pay the full price, so you would essentially be paying for 2 meals instead of 1. At non-prix fixe restaurants you shouldn't have any issues with splitting meals

For prix fixe meals, I doubt you would have an issue with splitting meals or skipping a course, but both you and your husband would be expected to pay the full price, so you would essentially be paying for 2 meals instead of 1. At non-prix fixe restaurants you shouldn't have any issues with splitting meals
We have split prix fixe meals many times without paying for a second meal. You can't split family style or buffet meals.

We shared during our July trip, and it was the best thing we decided to do all trip !! We didnt leave the restaurant stuffed... my kids tried different foods... (if I chose the entree, and its something they never had) .. and we didnt let any food go to waste, and spend money needlessly !!

DW and I usually split entrees because we also like to have an app and dessert but all that is too much food for us. We've never had an issue with it at WDW. We've also never tried to split a buffet/prix fixe/family style meal.

Last edited:

I have seen it done at Flying Fish, Narcoosee's, etc....

I have been on trips with really picky eaters and hav had chef's get things from other kitchens.....

It is not going to happen at a buffet, the sharing part..... getting things from other kitchens, maybe.....

but you should be fine

DH and I frequently split meals, because, like you, we're seniors who can't eat a lot. Disney doesn't mind it so much so that, except for rare occasions, when we say we're splitting a meal, the server brings it out already split on two plates, so that it looks like two meals. And for us it really is!

I overheard guests asking to share prix fixe at Space 220 and BOG and were told no.
Space 220 and BOG are $ per person. There are restaurants that have a pre fixe option such as the one mentioned in the first post. Yes can be confusing. Maybe best answer is if the restaurant charges by the entree and has a pre fixe option you can share exceptions would be all you care to enjoy or like example the skillet at whispering canyon. But you could go to WC order the steak entree and split it. With a side note some Disney Springs restaurants may not allow it as they are not Disney owned while a lot of the EPCOT ones are not either they seem to generally allow this but you can always ask first…

DH and I frequently split meals, because, like you, we're seniors who can't eat a lot. Disney doesn't mind it so much so that, except for rare occasions, when we say we're splitting a meal, the server brings it out already split on two plates, so that it looks like two meals. And for us it really is!
That is good news! I’m glad I’m not the only one out there who does this…and it’s not so much that I’m eating less..l just eat small amounts at a time. I know there will be a few places where I leave food cuz hubby won’t want what I’m having but hopefully we can agree on a few things along the way.

BUFFETS??? :rotfl2: Bless your hearts…those haven’t happened for at least 15 years. I wish I could as I miss the characters but alas..that’s a huge waste of money for us. Now if they had an Avengers breakfast….:cool1:

Thanks to everyone who’s chimed in so far. I’ll tell you, back in the day, I planned some AWESOME WDW trips but it’s been so long, I’m struggling with this one. Also before, we always had our son plus various family and friends…this is just me and Pops so we’re taking it slower than before, he’s already made that clear. Midday breaks, leisurely meals, not rushing from ride to ride like we used to. I now have menieres which I didn’t have before so that is giving me reason to reconsider lots of rides I used to love but now am wondering if I can do it anymore.

BTW..November 12-19 is our trip so I’ll be making rezzies soon!

FWIW, DW and I share meals all the time at home as neither of us have particularly big appetites. We usually order drinks to make up for the difference. We've also shared meals at the Disney resorts with no issue, but like others have said, have never done this at a buffet or prix fixe.

We share meals but tip as though we bought two meals, unless they charge a "plate fee" - we didn't run into that at WDW but have at other places so in that case we tip on the actual check.

My adult daughter and I often share meals including the prix fixe at La Creperie back in January, although I ordered my own dessert crepe.

Last edited:
We split meals all the time except buffet and prix fixe restaurants. The only place that's actually said something was at Enzo's Hideaway. We had done it many times previously and on our last visit this past December, the waitress said that it's not allowed any longer. So I just didn't order anything and we split the food up onto a smaller plate that we already had at the table.

Last edited:
We split meals all the time except buffet and prix fixe restaurants. The only place that's actually said something was at Enzo's Hideaway. We had done it many times previously and on our last visit this past December, the waitress said that it's not allowed any longer. So I just didn't order anything and we split the food up onto a smaller plate that we already had at the table.
I'm confused, so they did let you split the meal but they just would not give you a second empty plate for it?

I'm confused, so they did let you split the meal but they just would not give you a second empty plate for it?
I've been to many places that will charge you for an extra plate, to discourage sharing. I've also been to many restaurants that clearly state on menu there will be an upcharge if you are sharing meals.

We often don't want big meals so we order multiple appetizers with drinks, then share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter