Split stay RIV & VGF

Jmla32

Earning My Ears
We’ve never done a split stay but considering this trip. Anyone do this with kids? Or better to just stay at one? We were thinking of Riviera for access to skyliner then switching to Grand Floridian for access to monorail.

Kids' ages?

If they're all old enough to spend moving day in a park, it won't likely be that difficult. But, if you've young ones who'll need a nap, it might not be so easy.

Count on around 6 hours of the day that you'll have no room which can get wearisome. We've ended up snoozing in resort lobbies which is not terribly cozy.

Booking overlapping villas so that you can hang out in the one you're leaving for as long as you need and then switch to the next one can be a lifesaver if you have enough points. That way you can swim, shower, nap--whatever--and go on over to the next resort at your convenience.

9, 7 and 5. We haven’t been to Disney since 2018 but usually once at the parks we stayed there all day. We’d either plan to switch on a break day (although maybe not a good idea since we wouldn’t have a room) or plan a park day near the resort we are moving too.
Thanks for pointing all that out!

We just did a split stay with Riviera as our second stay. Our kids are 7, 11, and 14 - so not the ages where we would need to come back for a nap. Disney moved our luggage and it was sooo easy. However, it POURED the day we were switching. We had ponchos and (mostly) good attitudes for the day at Epcot - but that day it would have been really nice to not be the day that we were out of a room until 4 that afternoon. Just the way the dice rolled for us! We had an ADR at Garden Grill which helped pass time in a dry place and really it was all fine - just maybe pack your carry around bag to be ready to be out of a room and/or not have your luggage until 4. (Disney told us our luggage would arrive between 1 and 5 pm - but it was there when we got there.) Maybe if it is warm weather, plan to pack bathing suits in a bag in case you want to get out of the parks and swim at the next resort that day - or plan for a nice ADR that day to help bridge the gap if parks are super crowded or the weather doesn't cooperate.

9, 7 and 5. We haven’t been to Disney since 2018 but usually once at the parks we stayed there all day. We’d either plan to switch on a break day (although maybe not a good idea since we wouldn’t have a room) or plan a park day near the resort we are moving too.
Thanks for pointing all that out!

I think those ages are fine for a split. I would plan MK, DHS or EP on your switch day and simply go to VGF when you are done with the park. Our last split was BCV, WL and we simply went to EP after checking out of BCV, then took the bus to WL and checked in. It's pretty simple.

We just did a split stay with Riviera as our second stay. Our kids are 7, 11, and 14 - so not the ages where we would need to come back for a nap. Disney moved our luggage and it was sooo easy. However, it POURED the day we were switching. We had ponchos and (mostly) good attitudes for the day at Epcot - but that day it would have been really nice to not be the day that we were out of a room until 4 that afternoon. Just the way the dice rolled for us! We had an ADR at Garden Grill which helped pass time in a dry place and really it was all fine - just maybe pack your carry around bag to be ready to be out of a room and/or not have your luggage until 4. (Disney told us our luggage would arrive between 1 and 5 pm - but it was there when we got there.) Maybe if it is warm weather, plan to pack bathing suits in a bag in case you want to get out of the parks and swim at the next resort that day - or plan for a nice ADR that day to help bridge the gap if parks are super crowded or the weather doesn't cooperate.
Good tips, thank you!

We just did a split stay with VGF first and RIV second (first time staying at RIV and it’s probably my 2nd favorite resort now.) I loved having Skyliner access for Epcot and HS, and then of course all the great transportation options at the Grand, so the concept of this split could work well. However we felt overwhelmed from it - packing up to move was stressful for us and since my daughter still napped we ended up being homeless twice during that time period. Our room wasn’t ready at VGF until after 4 and then at RIV not til around 3ish. When we go back next year our youngest won’t be napping anymore but we still don’t want to do a split stay anytime soon. As all 3 of our kids get older maybe we’ll try again in the future someday. One thing I wish we would have done was try to pack what we needed for the first part of the split in separate bags, but I was not organized enough to do that! If you’re not used to taking mid day breaks and packing/repacking doesn’t bother you, this may not be much of an issue for you.

We just did a split stay with VGF first and RIV second (first time staying at RIV and it’s probably my 2nd favorite resort now.) I loved having Skyliner access for Epcot and HS, and then of course all the great transportation options at the Grand, so the concept of this split could work well. However we felt overwhelmed from it - packing up to move was stressful for us and since my daughter still napped we ended up being homeless twice during that time period. Our room wasn’t ready at VGF until after 4 and then at RIV not til around 3ish. When we go back next year our youngest won’t be napping anymore but we still don’t want to do a split stay anytime soon. As all 3 of our kids get older maybe we’ll try again in the future someday. One thing I wish we would have done was try to pack what we needed for the first part of the split in separate bags, but I was not organized enough to do that! If you’re not used to taking mid day breaks and packing/repacking doesn’t bother you, this may not be much of an issue for you.
Yes, I do think the key will be how we pack. It can definitely get out of hand with kids though! We did 2 road trips the past 2 years with multiple stops along the route so I’m hoping that will help us.

Yes, I do think the key will be how we pack. It can definitely get out of hand with kids though! We did 2 road trips the past 2 years with multiple stops along the route so I’m hoping that will help us.
I was thinking the way to pack is to share each suit case. My wife and I each usually take our own. Pack each suitcase for the number of days at each resort and only unpack that suitcase.
Use that suitcase for your laundry at the first resort

Unpack the second bag at the second resort and do the laundry and repack the initial bag.

I was thinking the way to pack is to share each suit case. My wife and I each usually take our own. Pack each suitcase for the number of days at each resort and only unpack that suitcase.
Use that suitcase for your laundry at the first resort

Unpack the second bag at the second resort and do the laundry and repack the initial bag.

That is exactly what we do. As clothes are dirty, we just shove into suitcase. It makes the packing for stay two so much easier.

for me it depends on how long you are staying. for example on a 4 night stay I really wouldn't bother since on the check out / check in day there is a window of a few hours where you are "roomless" - plus it's just a general hassle to change rooms and resorts if you don't have to. For a two week stay for example - I would say yes - go for it! After one week at the same resort it may be fun to switch things up! Have fun!

I would vote for doing a park day on your move day and I would do either AK or MK on that day. AK because you have to take a bus there regardless of where you are. MK because it's close to your resort so at the end of your park day you are right there.

We do split stays a lot and here is our approach: We usually do AK on move day. We do a late start to our park day so we aren't so rushed in the morning. Also, about 6 hours in AK is about the right amount of time for us. So, we leave our room between 10-11am and go to the park. By about 4-5pm we are usually done with all we want to do and head to our new resort. By that time our room is usually ready and our luggage has been delivered to the new resort.

I would say as long as you have at least 3 nights at each resort, the split stay would be ok. Anything less than that and it just feels like you don't get enough time to enjoy the resort.

Have a great trip!

When our kids were young, I actively disliked split stays. Now that everyone is older, I've warmed up to the idea. Yes, there's something to be said for planting ourselves in one location for the full duration of a trip. All things being equal, I'd like to throw my suitcases under the bed and leave them there for 7-8 days.

But I'm starting to realize the benefits of being in two different locations. We also did a Riviera / GF split stay and it couldn't have been much better from the standpoint of park access. Using Skyliner and Monorail for most of our park visits was very handy. And having access to different restaurants without hassle. We dined at Topolino's, Primo Piatto, Ohana and Steakhouse 55. All were convenient from our hotels.

My preference would be GF for the first 3 days and then 4+ at riviera. Those first 3 days, maybe do MK, AK, MK. Then focus on HS, Epcot and Disney Springs after switching resorts. Other parks are still just a bus ride away.

We enjoy split stays and like doing a MK resort with an Epcot one. We usually do 3/3 and use the moving day as our rest day. We sleep-in and check out right at 11. We do a nice lunch and shop around Disney Springs till we get our room ready text and then go get settled and relax at the new resort. We usually do a studio then a 1 bedroom to save on points… I pack enough for the first half and then do laundry once in the 1 bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter