Split Stay during Christmas? Want opinions please!

DeeBee3

I'm not grumpy; you're too happy.
I am currently booked in a Copper Creek studio for Christmas. It's our home resort and we are looking forward to a great atmosphere at the Lodge during Christmas. It will be our first trip during Christmas.

My question is: is it a smart time to do a split stay? We have done them before and have no issues with them. I want opinions on split stays during the busiest week at Disney and what resorts you would consider fun during the holidays.

Somehow there are still rooms available at other resorts. Just curious what you all think. I know Copper Creek studios are some of the smallest, so it might be nice to get a few days out into a slightly larger studio.

We did a 10/4 split between BWV and Poly last year. Even though I'm not a fan of split stays in general we had a great time being near EP/HS and then MK.

I would not. Christmas week changes you will be lucky to be in your second room before 6-7PM.

I am currently booked in a Copper Creek studio for Christmas. It's our home resort and we are looking forward to a great atmosphere at the Lodge during Christmas. It will be our first trip during Christmas.

My question is: is it a smart time to do a split stay? We have done them before and have no issues with them. I want opinions on split stays during the busiest week at Disney and what resorts you would consider fun during the holidays.

Somehow there are still rooms available at other resorts. Just curious what you all think. I know Copper Creek studios are some of the smallest, so it might be nice to get a few days out into a slightly larger studio.
I'm not a fan of split stays, so take my opinion with that into consideration.

I would not do a split stay if I was only staying 7 nights or less total. I feel like you barely get settled in before you have to pack everything up and move. The only split stays that I have done recently involved times when I only needed one night at the beginning of a stay and could not get that night added on to the resort I had booked. When throwing Christmas week into the mix, my answer would not be just NO, it would be HELL NO!

However, if you were to decide to make the switch to a split stay, keep in mind that your 60+10 ADR date also gets split into two. This could impact your ability to score the dining reservations that you want. Plan accordingly.

I did my first Christmas trip in 2020 to use up some of the points. I was not able to get 5 nights in a row and instead did a series of smaller 1 and 2 night stays. It worked out fine. At the time though bell services would still move everything included refrigerated items which they no longer do. I bought a backpack cooler bag after that trip and use it to move my chilled items on to the next resort the morning of my move. I hand over the contents to bell services to keep cold and then go to my park for the day. Works fine if a little logistically challenging at times.

We were shocked, we actually got into another room shortly thereafter due to a problem with the first room assigned (we weren't being picky, there was a big issue with our first room).
I would not have faith in Christmas week occupancy rates, turnover housekeeping or staffing to have that happen.

No, no, no. A thousand times no. Never give up a CCV studio during Christmas. The only exception is to move to a larger villa at CCV or anything at BRV (both of which are extremely difficult to pull off in December).

I did it the first week of December, no big deal. I mean I'll never go again in that crowded of a park, but the split stay wasn't the problem.

I would plan for late check in on both rooms, with the way DVC is currently running.

What resorts are fun during Christmas? I lean towards the big tree resorts - so WL (where you are booked,) VGF (might be able to snag a studio in the new building,) and AKV Jambo. I also like BC’s lifesize chocolate/gingerbread carousel.
Personally I wouldn’t split stay during the holidays, we always go at that time and although we avoid Christmas week & New Year’s Eve, even early Dec. has become increasingly crowded through the years, and although most times the weather is pleasant, 3 times we’ve been when the temp.s were literally freezing - as in below 32F & I’d not want to be several hours w/out a room to retreat to if the crowds got to be too much or the weather too cold.

We did a OKW/BWV 4/5 split stay this past Christmas. We wanted to go to EP on NYE and staying walking distance from the park was awesome. It was great… but we think we’ve decided we are over split stays. We fell in love with OKW, so we’ll likely stay there full time on future trips.

I love split stays. Currently doing Poly/AKL/Beach Club over 15 days in December 2022. Still playing around with availability so things could change.

With that being said, I’m not sure I’d give up Copper Creek. I hear it’s pretty awesome over the holidays, and I’ve never been able to grab even a night there in December!

We always split our stay at Christmas, and have never had any problems. Funnily enough it always starts with CCV for Christmas week, then (usually) onto BWV for New Years into runners Weekend. We do stay for 14-18 nights though. We pack up morning of checkout, then normally head to EPCOT and walk to our new room. Disney takes care of the luggage.

Thanks all! I think we are staying put at CCV, unless something crazy happens. We are there 8 nights, which is long for us, but not too much for Copper Creek. haha

I just wish those studios were larger because I'm probably going to be the one who needs more space. Husband and kids are much less whiny. 🤷‍♀️

Looks like you have decided (and I think I agree with you). That said, our last 3 Christmas trips have been split stays but we are also a fan of splits. Like another PP said, I wouldn't split for a trip that was under a week.
2019: VGF/RIV Christmas - New Years
2020: BWV/Swan - (covid + points)
2021: RIV- VGF-RIV

But CCV for the whole time sounds like a dream too. An EP area resort before Christmas is good for the festival of the holidays (this is what we meant to do in 2021), but is also great for New Years. We prefer being around MK/VGF for Christmas itself though, and always visit the various resorts.

I would vote for the split stay and try to get something in the EP/HS area. Then plan your park days around where you are staying to you have to use the bus as little as possible (MK/AK while at CCV and HS/EP while in one of the resorts in that area). The roads get really busy during that time and Disney buses get stuck in traffic too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter