Split Stay Dining Plan questions

MrsNotes

Earning My Ears
Hello! Finally booked our first vacation as DVC members. It is a second honeymoon for us, as DH and I honeymooned at Disney 20 years ago. Been back several times with kids but this time it's just for us.

We've always wanted to stay at the Poly, so we have 4 nights booked at the Poly, followed by 3 nights at our home resort, BWV. Since we want to use this trip to experience things we don't normally get to do with the kids, we're thinking of doing the Deluxe Dining Package and getting as many Signature Dining experiences as possible out of it.

My question is about the split stay. I know I have to book 2 separate dining plans (I'm also considering going Deluxe for nights 1-4 and Regular nights 5-7 to save a few hundred dollars). If we check out of Poly on day 5 but haven't yet used all of our meal credits, can we still use those meal credits that night after we've checked into BWV? I know the Dining Plans can't technically be combined, but I'm thinking we could eat at Flying Fish on the first night we stay at BWV using our last 2 meal credits from our first stay. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Yes, you have until 11:59 pm of your check out day from Poly to use all the credits from the first stay. You won't have access to the BWV plan until the credits from the first stay are either used or expires at midnight.

Yes, you have until 11:59 pm of your check out day from Poly to use all the credits from the first stay. You won't have access to the BWV plan until the credits from the first stay are either used or expires at midnight.
Wonderful!

IMO too much food and having to spend your time running to your next ADR. I would do the deluxe during your first split and carry over credits to your check in day at the second resort. What you don't do this vacation, you can do during the next years of DVC ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

That's definitely a good possibility. I do know that we'll want to do a nice dinner the last night of our trip, but we don't have to be on the dining plan to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

My husband and i went with no kids last year and we bought the dining plan. We are glad we tried it but we would have been much better off putting the $900 it cost us for the dining plan on a gift card and using it to pay for our meals. We would have had money left over for sure!!

Hello! Finally booked our first vacation as DVC members. It is a second honeymoon for us, as DH and I honeymooned at Disney 20 years ago. Been back several times with kids but this time it's just for us.

We've always wanted to stay at the Poly, so we have 4 nights booked at the Poly, followed by 3 nights at our home resort, BWV. Since we want to use this trip to experience things we don't normally get to do with the kids, we're thinking of doing the Deluxe Dining Package and getting as many Signature Dining experiences as possible out of it.

My question is about the split stay. I know I have to book 2 separate dining plans (I'm also considering going Deluxe for nights 1-4 and Regular nights 5-7 to save a few hundred dollars). If we check out of Poly on day 5 but haven't yet used all of our meal credits, can we still use those meal credits that night after we've checked into BWV? I know the Dining Plans can't technically be combined, but I'm thinking we could eat at Flying Fish on the first night we stay at BWV using our last 2 meal credits from our first stay. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
I agree with Bill, if the Deluxe plan works for you at all, I'd do it for the 4 nights and just go OOP for the day and a half not otherwise covered. You'll want to look at the specifics, that's 6 full service credits per day, 24 all together. You'll need some major reservations locked in to make that workable and once you have those, you can look at the financials of it. With discounts it's often not a savings and can easily be more than just paying OOP. Generally arriving early enough day 1 to use the points and staying late on the last day, planning the locations used to take better advantage and having kids 3-9 are the best ways to increase the value of any dining plan. The deluxe have the most savings potential if used just for sit downs. We often get it but we usually have kids 3-9 and we get it for one room but not 2 and share credits across the family. Usually it takes both to make it a true savings for us.

I was curious about our similar situation - a split stay with two different dining plans. The day of checkout at SSR we want to save a TS credit for lunch, but use a QS credit from the new stay at BCV for breakfast on the same day. The CM I spoke to asked his supervisor about it, and they said it is easiest if we “pay” for breakfast with our BCV magic band and lunch with our SSR magic band. Thankfully we hadn’t declined any of the magic bands at that point.

So if you do decide to get two different dining plans, that’s how we were told to do it. It may not help your exact situation and I understand how it would work in theory, but I’ll let you know once we try it!

Last edited:
I was curious about our similar situation - a split stay with two different dining plans. The day of checkout at SSR we want to save a TS credit for lunch, but use a QS credit from the new stay at BCV for breakfast on the same day. The CM I spoke to asked his supervisor about it, and they said it is easiest if we “pay” for breakfast with our BCV magic band and lunch with our SSR magic band. Thankfully we hadn’t declined any of the magic bands at that point.

So if you do decide to get two different dining plans, that’s how we were told to do it. It may not help your exact situation and I understand how it would work in theory, but I’ll let you know once we try it!
You were given bad information. Magic bands aren’t linked to any individual reservation; they’re only linked to you (your MDE profile). You will not be able to use any dining plan credits from the second stay until all — every single one — of the credits from the first stay have been redeemed. That includes snack credits, too.

You might get away with charging breakfast to your room account and then asking the concierge to “fix” it the next day. That’s the only way you might be able to do what you want to do.

You were given bad information. Magic bands aren’t linked to any individual reservation; they’re only linked to you (your MDE profile). You will not be able to use any dining plan credits from the second stay until all — every single one — of the credits from the first stay have been redeemed. That includes snack credits, too.

You might get away with charging breakfast to your room account and then asking the concierge to “fix” it the next day. That’s the only way you might be able to do what you want to do.

Thanks for the heads up!

We’ll see how it works out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter