Split Stay Dining Plan Question

wdwfun!

Mouseketeer
I am not sure whether to post this question on the resort or dining plan board. Unfortunately, we were unable to get all of our dates at the Polynesian so our first night is at the Contemporary. We booked the dining plan on our Poly reservation since that is where the remainder of our stay is and we aren't getting in until late the first day. I was after many, many attempts able to do on line check in for the Poly so I was wondering if I will be able to get our refillable mug at Contempo Cafe when we get breakfast at the Contemporary before heading into the parks? I wasn't going to use any credits for breakfast but it would be nice to get our coffee in the refillable mug. One more question, if we did decide to go in the morning before the parks over to the Poly what transportation should we use? We would prefer to take our luggage with us instead of having it delivered. I am assuming you can't take your luggage on the monorail.

I am not sure whether to post this question on the resort or dining plan board. Unfortunately, we were unable to get all of our dates at the Polynesian so our first night is at the Contemporary. We booked the dining plan on our Poly reservation since that is where the remainder of our stay is and we aren't getting in until late the first day. I was after many, many attempts able to do on line check in for the Poly so I was wondering if I will be able to get our refillable mug at Contempo Cafe when we get breakfast at the Contemporary before heading into the parks? I wasn't going to use any credits for breakfast but it would be nice to get our coffee in the refillable mug. One more question, if we did decide to go in the morning before the parks over to the Poly what transportation should we use? We would prefer to take our luggage with us instead of having it delivered. I am assuming you can't take your luggage on the monorail.
No. You can not take luggage on any Disney Transportation.
I am confused how you can be checked into the Poly BEFORE you are checked Out of the CR. I have never heard of that. I don’t believe you can use Any DDP Entitlements prior to the day your plan begins

If your intent is to get the mug the morning of the day that you are checking into Poly, then yes, you should be fine doing that. We pretty much only do split stays and have done this more than once (yes, for the ability to get the coffee with the mug!). Your credits should be active by I think around 7am, but as always, and especially with Disney IT lately, YMMV.

ETA: We are DVC, and their system automatically completes online check-in now, up to a few months past the 60 days it was before. So, I am not certain whether you will be able to access those credits if you are not checked in, either online or in person. Hopefully somebody will weigh in on that!

Last edited:
You will have to take a taxi/uber/lyft if you do not want to have your luggage delivered. As stated above, luggage is not allowed on any Disney transportation other than DME.

You should be fine getting your mug at Contemporary on the morning that you'll be checking into Poly.

Sorry if my question was confusing. I guess the easier way to have asked is how early in the morning are your first day of dining plan credits available? If we want to go to early morning hours we would like to get our coffee pretty early. Thanks for your responses.

Sorry if my question was confusing. I guess the easier way to have asked is how early in the morning are your first day of dining plan credits available? If we want to go to early morning hours we would like to get our coffee pretty early. Thanks for your responses.
You may need to check out of the Contemporary first before you can use the dining credits from your Polynesian stay.

Agreed.

I'm not sure what that means, and I'm DVC, too.
If you check your upcoming reservations for the next six months (and perhaps beyond), under the option where it used to say “Online Checkin”, it now says something like, “You’re all set!” With the option to “Update Checkin” as well :). They have supposedly been automatically checking members in far advance of the reservation, but of course it has not been very accurate or consistent.

Your dining plan entitlements do not show up on your account until your room number is assigned of you to online check in... If you check in at the resort thry can be assigned before your room is ready

Your dining plan entitlements do not show up on your account until your room number is assigned of you to online check in... If you check in at the resort thry can be assigned before your room is ready
I’m not sure if ddp entitlements still show up on your account at all. I was wondering about that. It was no longer a feature last month for myself and a few other families I know of who used the ddp.

I’m not sure if ddp entitlements still show up on your account at all. I was wondering about that. It was no longer a feature last month for myself and a few other families I know of who used the ddp.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the ability to use them is linked to you being fully checked in. This happens automatically once your room is assigned or you can kick it off by checking in in person.

When I went straight to the parks with DDP and had a lunch at Y&Y the waiter checked to see if the DDP was showing up as a method of payment yet and it wasn't. During the meal I got the text that our room was ready and when he gave it one more try after the meal the DDP entitlements were there.

I would not expect to be able to use the DDP until you are fully checked in, either by your room number being texted to you or going to the front desk.

Well I guess I will not know until I actually try and buy the mug. Perhaps the best option is to take a taxi to the Poly and check in real early with all our bags. Grab breakfast coffee there and head to the parks. Perhaps by checking in early I will find out what room is going to be assigned and request a change if needed.

When I went straight to the parks with DDP and had a lunch at Y&Y the waiter checked to see if the DDP was showing up as a method of payment yet and it wasn't. During the meal I got the text that our room was ready and when he gave it one more try after the meal the DDP entitlements were there.

I would not expect to be able to use the DDP until you are fully checked in, either by your room number being texted to you or going to the front desk.

Just want to clarify what you're saying...
If you go to the desk and check in the credits will be available immediately (even if your room isn't)

The scenario you mention (credits are not available until your room is ready) is only the case if you do NOT stop at the resort in the morning, correct? Or are you saying that they're not available either way until you have your room (which could be 5pm)?

Just want to clarify what you're saying...
If you go to the desk and check in the credits will be available immediately (even if your room isn't)

The scenario you mention (credits are not available until your room is ready) is only the case if you do NOT stop at the resort in the morning, correct? Or are you saying that they're not available either way until you have your room (which could be 5pm)?

If you stop by resort and check in they should be available immediately. There are no rules on the DDP about time when they are available, but they are in MY experience not available until you are fully checked in... and that happens automatically when your room is finally assigned OR the front desk can do it.

That said they are also pretty amenable to fixing anything that doesn't go smoothly - we paid OOP for breakfast (charged it to the room) and then had them reverse the room charge and charge it to the DDP at the front desk because the credits weren't available at that time of morning yet. It was no biggie. Do a room charge if you need to do this because it seems the easiest to reverse (you can set it up in advance) before it's been charged to your CC.

I do NOT know if they can do this for the mugs though, I've only had it done for meals.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but the ability to use them is linked to you being fully checked in. This happens automatically once your room is assigned or you can kick it off by checking in in person.

I just mean that your ddp credits used to show up on the mde app, so that you could open the app and see how many credits you had at any given time. That feature was no longer available for me in August, but it was last year.

And for what it’s worth, we did a Poly/Pop split stay last month. We had the ddp at Pop, our second resort. The ddp credits were available to me first thing in the morning before I checked out of the Poly. We did not have our Pop room assigned to us at that point. Maybe it’s new, or maybe it’s just hit and miss.

Well I guess I will not know until I actually try and buy the mug. Perhaps the best option is to take a taxi to the Poly and check in real early with all our bags. Grab breakfast coffee there and head to the parks. Perhaps by checking in early I will find out what room is going to be assigned and request a change if needed.
This will be your best bet. That way the DDP will be active when you go to get the cups and for any meals you may need. Plus, you will be there with your bags since you said you didn't want to transfer them through bell services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter