Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said above, Splash has nothing to do with the frontier, either. I thought the same as you when this rumor came up ages ago. It would be super easy to flow it all together.

Get rid of Diamond Horseshoe and make it a French Quarter themed character meal.
Yeah, I mean, I guess they could keep it looking pretty much exactly the same on the outside (minus the brier patch), and still call it Splash Mountain, and the indoor scenes would just change to Princess and the Frog.

I'm fine as long as I get that nice long ride floating along watching animatronics talk and sing and then get to careen down a drop with a big splash at the end. There is plenty of opportunity for beautiful scenes and fabulous music, that's for sure. I'm thinking of the technology and visual splendor of Na'vi River Journey, but on Splash Mountain's much longer and more exciting track. Sounds good to me!

Yeah, I mean, I guess they could keep it looking pretty much exactly the same on the outside (minus the brier patch), and still call it Splash Mountain, and the indoor scenes would just change to Princess and the Frog.

I'm fine as long as I get that nice long ride floating along watching animatronics talk and sing and then get to careen down a drop with a big splash at the end. There is plenty of opportunity for beautiful scenes and fabulous music, that's for sure. I'm thinking of the technology and visual splendor of Na'vi River Journey, but on Splash Mountain's much longer and more exciting track. Sounds good to me!

I'm excited to see Louis on the riverboat! :)

Well, I'm hugely disappointed. I would love to see a Princess and the Frog attraction/ride, but can't for the life of me believe that Splash is where it should go. And why? Because there is a Frog already in place??? Obviously, that's not it. There is a lot of land there--use it. I also agree it would better be suited in DL over WDW.

According to the article on Blog Mickey it was in the works for a year. It sounds like it is still opening as Splash Mountain though for the time being. I don't see a reimagined date when it will be redone (what, as still called Splash Mountain but with a new design, or what new name??).

I love the idea of this change. Why? Because a year ago I finally saw Song of the South. A friend had a region free DVD player and a copy of the film from its release in another country.

It's really, really racist. Like shockingly so. On a deep, troubling level in a way that tainted Splash Mountain for me forever. There's a reason Disney has tried to bury it for so many years. It's not a mild case of being offended or of PC culture, and I think if the majority of the public actually had access to the film, the tide of opinion would be firmly on the side of this refurb.

Given rumors that the Reflections resort and its Tiana-themed restaurant aren't going ahead because of budget cutbacks, I welcome this chance to give an underrepresented IP a bigger role on property. It's not like anything about the physical ride itself will actually change. We learned that from the Maelstrom/Frozen switch.

There's a lot of stuff at Disney that reflects racial attitudes of a different time. I'd be shocked if there aren't some changes on the Jungle Cruise and Tom Sawyer Island next.

Ultimately, I believe the ride itself won’t change...song the “thrills” of the log flume will still be exactly the same.

There is going to be backlash. There was when Pirates changed some elements, so you have Disney purist who’ll be upset. Some will boycott Disney, flood them with complaints, while others will laud them for the brave decision.

Disney is a company, so they‘ll do whatever they feel they need to do to protect their brand. Honestly for them, Song of The South has been a touchy issue for the company for decades now. Even when Disney+ launched, they had to address the issue. Splash Mountain was the only constant reminder & they continually downplayed it. The one bonus for them is that they won’t have to discus it as much anymore.

There have been rumors before about a retheme, but even if they truly weren’t “planning this a year ago”...the current social issues made the decision much easier.

Some people will love it (as we see here) others will hate it (as we see here). The scarier element is how the reaction reflects something far beyond a theme park attraction. There have already already been whispers of “this is too much / I’m sick of this”....Online reaction (at this point) seems to have many in the pro & con camps.

ANY retheme is going to cause ripples (especially among Disney fans) which they are aware of. This one will carry on far beyond the boundaries of the park gates.

I’m completely against this no matter what their reasoning is, or how long they’ve planned it. I think that trying to fit Princess and the Frog into Frontierland is a stretch no matter what. I’m also a mom of boys, so another princess anything is not going to excite them. There is a lot that caters to the girls, and less so for the boys, in my opinion. Splash mountain is more generic and appeals to both.

I’m completely against this no matter what their reasoning is, or how long they’ve planned it. I think that trying to fit Princess and the Frog into Frontierland is a stretch no matter what. I’m also a mom of boys, so another princess anything is not going to excite them. There is a lot that caters to the girls, and less so for the boys, in my opinion. Splash mountain is more generic and appeals to both.

Empowered princesses and saxophone playing gators can be enjoyed by all! :)

This change really doesn't bother me. It has never been a must do attraction for me as I have never seen Song of the South, so the ride just never resonated with me like it does others. At least their not turning it into a meet and greet like they did with Snow White's Scary Adventures. I am still a bit perturbed over that one so I get how fans of Splash Mountain would be upset.

I’m honestly super surprised this is happening and while I’m going to miss Splash a lot, I think this will be great! It’s also surprising to hear it’s been in the works since last year. I’m not sure I buy that.

Totally agree that it was probably not in the works last year! Disney's been lying lately anyway... just like they said the Parks Reservation system wasn't a glitch, it was the consumer's fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter