Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Quoting from elsewhere):
Hoo boy. I’m split on this. I completely understand wanting to change the Song of the South stuff and Princess & the Frog deserves more representation at the parks. But Splash Mountain is often regarded as one of the best theme park rides ever.

I think the characters and songs in the ride are far removed from Song of the South for 90% of people. But then again, what I think about the ride doesn’t matter as much as people who feel hurt and offended by the ride’s roots.
^this is where I'm at. Splash Mountain is my favorite ride. I'll miss the Brer animals and songs, but I get it.

I hope the track layout is left as-is and they take their time to do a great job. A lot of the WDW Splash animatronics had chronic issues. Don't skimp on the retheme.

I get why they didn't spend the $$$ to replace the aging animatronics in the OG Splash, when they could spend $$$ and retheme it at the same time instead.

I just hope they do the existing ride experience and The Princess and the Frog justice and do it well. I don't want to see Splash Mountain become another Maelstrom

Also a reminder that there is a full fledged thread about this in the Disney community board talking about the rethemng and the BLM movement. Any discussion about that specific topic should be taken there, this thread can remain open as long as we´re discussing impacts to the MK operations and planning for riding SM and then the new Tiana attraction

Thank you. I do not want my thread closed.

It will be interesting to see how WDW handles it fitting into Frontierland. There's nothing Frontiersy about Princess and the Frog.

I'm happy for it though. Disney is for kids, and it's fine for kids to be exposed to the classic films that a lot of the rides are based on...but I can understand the reluctance to expose them to that film.

Side note: I couldn't get Princess and the Frog to play on Disney+. I keep getting the "Oops" message pop up just as the movie is about to start. I've tried random others (Jungle Book, Tangled, Mulan) and they all worked fine. Huh.

That's because that is exactly what this is. I don't think anyone believes that this has been in the works since last year. This is 100% because of the current climate and the petition to retheme the ride making national news.

lol, there's no way they just put this together on a whim. It's def been in the works for a long time

It will be interesting to see how WDW handles it fitting into Frontierland. There's nothing Frontiersy about Princess and the Frog.

I'm happy for it though. Disney is for kids, and it's fine for kids to be exposed to the classic films that a lot of the rides are based on...but I can understand the reluctance to expose them to that film.

Side note: I couldn't get Princess and the Frog to play on Disney+. I keep getting the "Oops" message pop up just as the movie is about to start. I've tried random others (Jungle Book, Tangled, Mulan) and they all worked fine. Huh.

Like I said above, Splash has nothing to do with the frontier, either. I thought the same as you when this rumor came up ages ago. It would be super easy to flow it all together.

Get rid of Diamond Horseshoe and make it a French Quarter themed character meal.

It does appear to be that way which is sad. At some point there needs to be an element of delineation between what is entertainment / fantasy, and what is reality.

How is Princess and the Frog on the Frontier though? I felt the Brer Rabbit theme was kind of like heading west in the Ozarks or something. Yes, I know the story origin, just saying that was always my ride impression. Or maybe it's Big Thunder Mountain that doesn't fit next to the new Princess and Frog theme?? Rename Frontierland perhaps?? Fine, then bring on more Merida and Moana in the parks.

with Tiana, literally, in the park greeting guests, it makes sense to update the ride to a movie and IP Disney is actually selling. It will have far more resonance with current guests than Splash does.

So should we continue calling the resort Walt Disney World then? Or should it be changed to Disney IP World?

I for one have never seen Princess and the Frog, but I can ASSURE you, that the current Splash Mountain will have far more resonance with "die hard" Disney fans within the next 50 years, than just retheming something to another IP movie installation. But hey, that's just my opinion. And everyone is entitled to one. :)

I hope so as well, I am sure it will take a long time to complete and dropping such an iconic ride during the 50th would be weird IMO.

Sorry, but, this is EXACTLY what's wrong with this whole "I'm offended by everything" issue.

We're offended and it's suuuuch a great idea to change the ride. But, but, but don't do it yet! Because I want to be able to ride it a bunch more times.

Ugh.

Have does a bayou have waterfalls? Well, it's all fantasy anyway, I know. It might look cute inside, I'm sure. I'm just not resonating with the overall theme in the land it's in.

It’s too bad I didn’t realize my last ride would be my last ride. We go once per year but sometimes skip a year. I last rode splash mountain I think in April 2018.

Sorry, but, this is EXACTLY what's wrong with this whole "I'm offended by everything" issue.

We're offended and it's suuuuch a great idea to change the ride. But, but, but don't do it yet! Because I want to be able to ride it a bunch more times.

Ugh.

LOL, I am not even talking about the "theming" just the fact that it's a fun attraction and I wanted to ride it with my kids for the first time. AKA I didn't want it closed during my trip.

Good maybe they will further invest in MK and bring the park and attractions from the 1980s to the 2000s(Id say 2020s but let’s get real).

But let’s get here. It’s not going to be completed anytime soon. Maybe 2023?

lol, there's no way they just put this together on a whim. It's def been in the works for a long time
Guess we will see. Considering they have no announced timeline and barely any concept art other than just placing Princess and the Frog characters on drawings of the attraction as it already exists today, that suggests to me that this hasn't seriously been in development. I could be wrong but I would think that if they had truly been working on this they would have more by now. It will be interesting to see the timeline or if Splash even re-opens.

So should we continue calling the resort Walt Disney World then? Or should it be changed to Disney IP World?

I for one have never seen Princess and the Frog, but I can ASSURE you, that the current Splash Mountain will have far more resonance with "die hard" Disney fans within the next 50 years, than just retheming something to another IP movie installation. But hey, that's just my opinion. And everyone is entitled to one. :)

To be fair, Splash Mountain was already an IP installation though. Technically two, since it's a ride using the characters from Song of the South, and named after the movie Splash. I totally agree with this sentiment, it was hard to lose Maelstrom to Frozen, but I think in this case it's not as relevant an argument. Regardless though, Splash Mountain is a beloved ride and it will be hard to say goodbye to, whether or not someone likes what's coming in to replace it.

Guess we will see. Considering they have no announced timeline and barely any concept art other than just placing Princess and the Frog characters on drawings of the attraction as it already exists today, that suggests to me that this hasn't seriously been in development. I could be wrong but I would think that if they had truly been working on this they would have more by now. It will be interesting to see the timeline or if Splash even re-opens.

Well it says right there in the title that Splash will reopen with the rest of the MK on July 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter