Splash Mountain Will Change to Princess and the Frog--WILL OPEN 7/11 as Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy the current incarnation of Splash Mountain and hope that I get to ride it once more before they do the overhaul. I didn't see a timeline for the changes to take place.

With that said, I am super excited for a re-theme of this and think Princess and the Frog is a great option.

i like the idea of another princess themed ride as that is more "disney" to me for magic kingdom but i never had any issue with splash mountain. it's just the briar rabbit story.

Personally never been much of a fan of Splash mountain but this is because it's a water ride nothing to do with the theming. For me (with no emotional connection to the ride) I think changing the theming is going to be a net positive and would fit more within the overall parks focus (younger generation's connection to PT). My concern is the optics of it being done in the current climate and how it will undoubtedly fuel some resentment among fans as being done as a form of social reform and/or appeasement.

If they do a good job I’m ok with it. Outside the boat of sing chickens and the drop the ride is enjoyable, but forgettable.

New Orleans in Frontierland does pose a problem though.

Personally never been much of a fan of Splash mountain but this is because it's a water ride nothing to do with the theming. For me (with no emotional connection to the ride) I think changing the theming is going to be a net positive and would fit more within the overall parks focus. My concern is the optics of it being done in the current climate and how it will undoubtedly fuel some resentment among fans as being done as a form of social reform and/or appeasement.
That's because that is exactly what this is. I don't think anyone believes that this has been in the works since last year. This is 100% because of the current climate and the petition to retheme the ride making national news.

I’m all for the change. Change is good.

It’s my sons favorite ride so I may try to get him there for one last ride or ten.

I'll proudly stand in the minority here and say I'm extremely disappointed with this news. It amazes me how PC this country has become. People get offended by being offended now.

Remember; just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right. And that goes for whether or not you like singing Zip a dee doo da (which I KNOW 90% of "die hard" Disney fans enjoy) or whether or not you think dole whips are better than churros. It's either all or nothing. This whole pick and choose what I'm offended by safety bubble this world currently lives in is laughable.

I for one will continue to display my Splash Mountain merch on my WDW shrine!

::respectfully steps off soapbox::

I was never one to be offended by the ride though I understand those that are and why. I look at it this way. Disney has a long history of revamping rides to reflect more current IP - Mr. Toad to Winnie the Pooh, 20,000 Leagues to 7DMT, Universe of Energy to Guardians, etc. I never really understood why they themed a ride on a movie they pulled from public view anyway. I happen to love Princess and the Frog - the characters, the music - with Tiana, literally, in the park greeting guests, it makes sense to update the ride to a movie and IP Disney is actually selling. It will have far more resonance with current guests than Splash does.

Not a fan of this change. Wish it didn't have to change at all. If you are going to change it though, I suppose this theme makes sense in DL, but I've never been so I can't really give an opinion on that. It makes zero sense in DW though. I could have gotten behind maybe a Pocahontas theme since it would fit in with the land more, but NOLA in Frontierland? We aren't talking Louisiana Purchase era theming here when NOLA was the frontier. This theme is more modern like and not frontier-like.

Also a reminder that there is a full fledged thread about this in the Disney community board talking about the rethemng and the BLM movement. Any discussion about that specific topic should be taken there, this thread can remain open as long as we´re discussing impacts to the MK operations and planning for riding SM and then the new Tiana attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter