Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't erase something that was never there in the first place. There was no "Jungle Book" ride.

By your reasoning, my post still stands. Are you outraged by Maelstrom, Captain EO, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Universe of Energy, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Illuminations, Wishes, Honey I Shrunk the Audience (the list goes on and on) being "erased"? I'm betting no. Are you outraged that Norwegian history and culture were replaced by a Disneyfied Danish fairytale? You seem to be very interested in protecting "West African Folktales" for some reason as if re-theming this ride "erases" their existence. The heads of Norwegian tourism quite literally let Maelstrom go - they made the decision not to reinvest in the ride. I don't see West Africans giving a hoot that Splash Mountain is giving way to P&F. Why are you so invested in this? Most of Disney's "erased" rides and attractions live on on YouTube or other online media.

I understand Disney fans being disappointed in change in Disney parks, but change happens all of the time and Walt himself told us it would. I myself was gutted when Fountain of Nations was destroyed - I've watched the dedication ceremony many times and absolutely love what it represented and the spirit it imbued in EP. (Heck, I still get upset when I think that the Tower of the Four Winds outside the original small world was dumped in a river after the World's Fair was over!) When it was destroyed, I felt that spirit was destroyed with it and EP is, obviously, going in a whole other direction (if they ever re-start construction). But with everything we fall in love with at Disney parks, I've realized over the years, many of these rides and attractions eventually change and go away. I have our photos and I have our memories. I've, personally, learned to give Disney a chance to see what new things they come up with and I'm usually very pleasantly surprised. Seriously, everyone lamenting the end of Splash Mountain, I get it. But all of us arguing online isn't going to change anything. This is Disney's private property and they can do whatever they want with it. Can we give them a chance to create a new, innovative, spectacular experience?

Last edited:
Big problem for who though? Millions of people including millions of people of the "offended" demographic ride this ride each year and have for 30? Years. Complaints have been minimal and thats stating things on the high end. Just because a small select vocal group are more offended than the general population, including those who are "supposed" to be offended, does not justify a change.

At what point do you draw the line on changes due to "being offensive"? Walt hinself had a checkered past, does that mean we should rename the entire thing?
Disney is not changing Splash due to people complaining. I guarantee this was already planned and they decided to announce it now for obvious reasons. They have known this ride and movie are problematic for a long time. The group of people who this is racist against have to put up with many, many offensive things every day. Including a theme park ride. Just because nothing has been done about it for 30 years does not mean it’s not offensive to a large population.

This is so wrong. I hate this. One of the most popular rides in the park. Obviously the park visitors haven't been upset by the ride that they continue to enjoy. Millions ride this every year, but Disney's going to change it because of 20,000 signatures - Unbelievable!
Get woke. Go broke.

Disney is not changing Splash due to people complaining. I guarantee this was already planned and they decided to announce it now for obvious reasons. They have known this ride and movie are problematic for a long time. The group of people who this is racist against have to put up with many, many offensive things every day. Including a theme park ride. Just because nothing has been done about it for 30 years does not mean it’s not offensive to a large population.

Then why do they continue to ride it repeatedly?

I listened to the song that Zip was supposed influenced by, and I don't hear it at all. Other than the word Zip, I don't see anything that ties the 2 together other than they are likely written in the same time period. If I would have just randomly heard it, I never would have thought about Zip. What am I missing?

Then they really arent offended and this is a fabricated issue to generate attention.

No, it means people are still going to be lining up to ride the ride. It appears many people didn't even know what movie Splash came from. They wanted a cute theme, good music, a drop and a splash. There are people on this thread who have already stated the theme of Splash was offensive to them. It's not fabricated. Everyone who was not offended and was simply riding because it was a thrill ride, gets to keep their thrill ride. Do you think most people were really riding for the characters? I would argue no. If that were the case, FOP and NRJ would have similar wait times.

Yes, one of the biggest criticisms I've heard about the movie is that they finally made a black princess only to have her be a frog for most of the movie. Having her be human for the ride is an improvement.
I remember thinking that when the movie first came out - they finally have a black princess and she‘s in frog form for most of the movie? In my head, though, when I think of Princess Tiana, I picture her as human. I lived in Louisiana for a year between college and law school. It was almost a gap year for me - I was dead broke and worked for an environmental lobby. Most of my co-workers were born and raised there, so I got to experience a lot of the less touristy parts of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I would give a lot right now for a giant pot of boiled crawfish with corn and red potatoes.

Anyone here experience Club Villain? If they ever open Tiana’s Place, I will actively petition for that black-eyed pea dish.

The parks are not museums.

And someone like Tony Baxter doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do. He retired 7 years ago and is an imagineering consultant, mentor and on the creative board. It’s awesome he’s going to be involved in the re-theme.
I know and that's an old quote we've all heard before but a good one. And I really dont care much... I just bet when Mr Baxter was driving in to work the morning he conceived of Splash Mountain he was just thinking of cute animal characters and a fun water ride with a big drop and how to recycle some animatronics. I doubt there was anything else in his heart. Just fun..oh well.

I remember thinking that when the movie first came out - they finally have a black princess and she‘s in frog form for most of the movie? In my head, though, when I think of Princess Tiana, I picture her as human. I lived in Louisiana for a year between college and law school. It was almost a gap year for me - I was dead broke and worked for an environmental lobby. Most of my co-workers were born and raised there, so I got to experience a lot of the less touristy parts of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I would give a lot right now for a giant pot of boiled crawfish with corn and red potatoes.

Anyone here experience Club Villain? If they ever open Tiana’s Place, I will actively petition for that black-eyed pea dish.

YES! Club Villain was AMAZING! Could you imagine if they took that concept with live entertainment and made Tiana's Place?! I do hope they would cast the Club Villain lead singer somehow - he was SPECTACULAR!

No, it means people are still going to be lining up to ride the ride. It appears many people didn't even know what movie Splash came from. They wanted a cute theme, good music, a drop and a splash. There are people on this thread who have already stated the theme of Splash was offensive to them. It's not fabricated. Everyone who was not offended and was simply riding because it was a thrill ride, gets to keep their thrill ride. Do you think most people were really riding for the characters? I would argue no. If that were the case, FOP and NRJ would have similar wait times.

Ok but the majority of the offended population is not actually offended and continues to ride....because its a ride, not a statement on moral compass. If you eliminated everything that offended a small group, you would be left with a park with trees, grass and water.

Nope. Not me. It's an okay water ride that has a big drop but not a thrill ride... not for me. I rode it for the characters and the little drops, then the big one, are just icing. I walked out of that ride, tearing off my cheap poncho and grinning from ear to ear. Those same feelings well up inside me when I see those characters as they did when I was a boy and thought animals could talk and are my friends. For a few minutes the crappy outside world was gone. I'm having a hard time making it more than that. I think on its face there nothing to offend till someone explains the backstory. That seems to be happening here. A child goes in, loves it, the grown ups explain why that's wrong. That's where I think its inception came from.... just happiness. no harm meant. But I'm okay either way. Just make it cute with critters I can fall in love with and we'll call it a day.

Ok but the majority of the offended population is not actually offended and continues to ride....because its a ride, not a statement on moral compass. If you eliminated everything that offended a small group, you would be left with a park with trees, grass and water.
I’m not sure you’re getting the point. This isn’t about enjoying the ride as a ride. It’s about what the story is built upon. Disney did for a long time a good job at trying to eliminate that controversy. However as time goes on things change and more and more people see things in a different light. Song of the South has been problematic from the start. There is no arguing that. You could argue it could be used as a teaching point but for most people they don’t go to theme parks to learn. This is one of the reasons Epcot has changed so much.

Then they really arent offended and this is a fabricated issue to generate attention.

There have been protests against Song of the South since it's premiere and against Splash Mountain since it opened. If these are "fabricated issues" then people have been fabricating them for over 60 years.

Not to mention that assuming that, unlike all the other rides Disney has changed or closed, that this revamp is purely based on people being offended and not, in part at least, to Disney realizing they might be able to market a ride based on a movie people can actually watch on Disney+ doesn't really make much sense.

I mean, did they close The Great Movie Ride due to how it depicted gangsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter