Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly. I don't have a problem with tweaking parts of the ride.
They don't have to leave the ride exactly as it is as long as they don't add Johnny Depp animatronics (that's a deal breaker).

I also think you are underestimating people and kids in not wanting to learn the history and origins behind Bre'r Rabbit, etc.

Good lets tweak it by changing it to princess and the frog with no johnny depp animatronics. problem solved.

I think disney should do a multi-part documentary on SoTS and bre'r rabbit and so forth for disney+ so people can learn and have conservations in their houses about it.

The log flume in a theme park was never meant to be history. It was meant to be entertaining. If it was history, there would be no talking animals.

Exactly! That's why the argument that it should be kept around as a prompt to inspire people to look into and learn about the actual origins of the fable is illogical. I'm glad we can agree on this!

Good lets tweak it by changing it to princess and the frog with no johnny depp animatronics. problem solved.

I think disney should do a multi-part documentary on SoTS and bre'r rabbit and so forth for disney+ so people can learn and have conservations in their houses about it.
That's not a tweak. That's an overhaul and erasing Bre'r Rabbit.

It would be totally interesting if they adapted the You Must Remember This podcast into a Disney+ show. The host's husband is Rian Johnson, who directed The Last Jedi, so they know where to find her lol. That said it is almost certainly too critical (in a fair, but honest way) of Disney for me to ever see that happening, but it would be a really cool move on their part.

Not sure why you want to erase history or pretend things didn't happen.

This doesn't "erase history" or pretend things didn't happen. As other's have mentioned, this "history" will simply be told elsewhere and by others in a more appropriate setting.

The whole "erase history" is the same argument being used elsewhere about the removal of items that deeply offend that should have never been made in the first place. It's a strawman argument and holds no weight.

Personally, I would rather just change it to something that doesnt cause a protest inside the park. I loved Song of the South as a kid because I loved the animals and cried when it ended. I loved Uncle Rhemus. I thought of him as a real uncle and friend. Havent actually seen it since small boy so it's just fond memories of being a kid. But I dont want it to turn the rest of the park into something contentious and if that is the deal then whatever. It will still be fun ride with good animal characters to enjoy. I'm actually already tired of this thread's contentious tone and ultimately.... Disney doesnt give a flip what we think. It's a done deal.

This doesn't "erase history" or pretend things didn't happen. As other's have mentioned, this "history" will simply be told elsewhere and by others in a more appropriate setting.

The whole "erase history" is the same argument being used elsewhere about the removal of items that deeply offend that should have never been made in the first place. It's a strawman argument and holds no weight.

If anything it preserves history by people learning more about why these things are offensive to POC. I'm white so I don;t have their experiences but I can listen and learn more about the origins of some of these things that I was never taught growing up. The difference is I'm learning more of the true history.

I like it for the ride. The ride experience is good, one of the best log flume rides ever. I don't care what characters accompany the ride. I bet the ride will still be fun and enjoyable with Princess and the Frog characters. I bet it will. Is saving the Song of The South theming the hill you want die on? Is it? If that's your choice, so be it. I will be over in Frontier Land enjoying the ride.

I like it for the ride. The ride experience is good, one of the best log flume rides ever. I don't care what characters accompany the ride. I bet the ride will still be fun and enjoyable with Princess and the Frog characters. I bet it will. Is saving the Song of The South theming the hill you want die on? Is it? If that's your choice, so be it. I will be over in Frontier Land enjoying the ride.

I dont know, I think its pretty bland without the theming. Many Disney attractions are the same way.

I dont know, I think its pretty bland without the theming. Many Disney attractions are the same way.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, its bland without theming. The new theming will be good. i was skeptical about the re-theming of both Malestrom and Tower of Terror in CA. Both were done well. This one will be too, and STILL it will be the same ride track with the fun big drop at the end. You know which re-theming didnt work? Journey Into Imagination. I miss Dreamfinder

Thankfully, @Hummingbird has already reassured us that changing the theming of this ride doesn't equal Br'er Rabbit erasure! Whew!
It would be disingenuous to pretend that Disney doesn't have perhaps THE largest platform in the world. Kids and adults grow up learning stories as told by Disney. I know I'm not alone in having seen Disney movies, and then exploring the origins of the stories Disney tells, and in doing so, becoming more familiar with the cultures from which the stories originate. We don't know what we don't know. If we haven't grown up hearing a particular story, then Disney has this enormous platform to introduce us to it, and to initiate the learning process. I probably never would have read the original Little Mermaid story had I not been obsessed with the Disney movie. Quite obviously, the story would have still existed and been familiar to many, but the magnitude of Disney's influence can't be denied.

The question that I think remains is: Do communities from which stories come want them to be promoted and shared with a wider audience? Maybe not. Because Disney's versions often become the definitive versions of stories, maybe the answer is not by Disney. Or maybe it's yes, as long as the stories are told in the right way.

In the case of Splash, clearly the version told by Disney wasn't done correctly. I love Splash, and think it would be great if the stories could be "reclaimed" as it were, to promote the original storytellers (and not just as an educational add-on). But I think that ship has sailed, not just because Disney has already made a racist version that would be difficult to backpedal from, but clearly management has made the decision to go in another direction.

Yes, its bland without theming. The new theming will be good. i was skeptical about the re-theming of both Malestrom and Tower of Terror in CA. Both were done well. This one will be too, and STILL it will be the same ride track with the fun big drop at the end. You know which re-theming didnt work? Journey Into Imagination. I miss Dreamfinder

That wasn't really a rethemeing, that was a gut job and they cut 40% of the ride

I am cautiously optimistic they will not do that here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter