Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get some more concept art soon. That one picture isn't enough for me.

I also wonder what all they'll leave in the ride. I think they'll leave the turtles that water jumps from and just add more swamp animals. I also think they'll leave the paddle boat at the end and just change some elements around it.

What else do we think they'll leave alone?

I have addressed the Frontierland thing - they did think of this when they made the ride, which is why the DL and MK versions are different. Also, the ride is not set in Georgia - in the movie the story is being told in Georgia. It is different for sure. Making Tiana fit in MK will require more work than I think they will want to do. It can be done, but I won't hold my breath to see it.

The working title of the attraction is “The new adventures of Tiana”. While that won’t be the final name of the attraction, it gives you a hint that they will indeed generate a new story branching off from the movie, possibly to fit the lands they reside in more accurately.

Don't worry, you are still good people.

That's the thing though, based on Disney's recent track record, it's not racist to be worried that Disney will mess up any refurb and reduce animatronics/fill it with screens (although, given that the DL Splash was in desperate need of refurb anyways, I wouldn't have put it past them to go with that even if they kept the Song of the South theme intact). What is problematic is when people get so stressed out about this change because they are concerned about "slippery slopes" or "cancel culture" or "revising history" or "pandering", or my favorite, "it doesn't fit in with Frontierland" as though a ride based on a movie set in Reconstruction-era Georgia ever fit in with the "Frontierland" theme or that "Critter Country" at DL ever made sense (and no the fact that the color of the exterior of the mountain somewhat tracks BTMRR doesn't make it fit any better). It makes no more sense than complaining about taking down confederate memorials made to honor traitors and remind black people in the South of their place is somehow "erasing history".

While not as egregious as the memorials, the Song of the South itself, and even moreso the book it was based on, are part of a radical revision of history meant to gaslight the world into accepting the "Lost Cause" mythology that diminished the horrors of slavery and the post-war treatment of freed black people and was used to justify and support Jim Crow era state-sponsored terrorism against blacks in the South (not to say that the Song of the South the movie was actively trying to do that or even Victor Fleming when he made Gone With the Wind, but Disney and others were incredibly nonchalant about that reality when they chose to make movies that embraced that false narrative). Based on clips and reading about the movie, there are many moments where the black characters in the Song of the South fondly remember the old days (meaning less than a decade earlier when they were enslaved). The idea that someone's supposed "nostalgia" for a ride is somehow equally important to the discomfort many black people feel on that ride is deeply silly (especially when paired with some of the less charitable reasons for not wanting the theme to change that I mentioned earlier) and Disney is doing the right thing by treating the latter group's concerns more seriously.

That is not to say that if they do a cut rate job/turn it into a projectionpalooza there won't be grounds for criticism (I would be the first in line to complain), but the desire to change the theming is a good one. The DL version is in desperate need of a big refurb (I know the WDW version had a light annual refurb earlier this year, but I'm sure it could still use a more thorough overhaul) regardless of theming. Given Disney's recent history and newfound obsession with projections it wouldn't have surprised me if they junked up such a big refurb even if they had retained the Song of the South theme. Whatever issues we may have with the PaTF overhaul once it is done, could very possibly had happened regardless. Basically, I think it is totally fine to be wary of any major overhaul of a classic ride given Disney's recent track history, but to get mad about the change in the theming alone when the current theming is so problematic is a little much.

My problem here is this is dangerously close to saying "Your feelings don't matter" or "Your feelings matter less."

Why can't everyone's feelings in this matter be allowed, legitimate, and respected?

I have addressed the Frontierland thing - they did think of this when they made the ride, which is why the DL and MK versions are different. Also, the ride is not set in Georgia - in the movie the story is being told in Georgia. It is different for sure. Making Tiana fit in MK will require more work than I think they will want to do. It can be done, but I won't hold my breath to see it.
The working title of the attraction is “The new adventures of Tiana”. While that won’t be the final name of the attraction, it gives you a hint that they will indeed generate a new story branching off from the movie, possibly to fit the lands they reside in more accurately.

It’s not a hint. They already said that it’s a new story That picks up after the movie.

It’s not a hint. They already said that it’s a new story That picks up after the movie.

Thats why I said, “will indeed generate a new story”. I was just saying the title, without even looking into additional information hints at this being a new story

It's really a shame. The Br'er Rabbit character is a staple of African culture and African American culture and rebellion against the slave masters. The Bre'r Rabbit character was passed down by oral tradition and precedes the novels written by Joel Chandler Harris (who because he is white some say is racist)

"
The Br'er Rabbit stories can be traced back to trickster figures in Africa, particularly the hare that figures prominently in the storytelling traditions in West, Central, and Southern Africa. These tales continue to be part of the traditional folklore of numerous peoples throughout those regions. In the Akan traditions of West Africa, the trickster is usually the spider Anansi, though the plots in his tales are often identical with those of stories of Br'er Rabbit.[4] However, Anansi does encounter a tricky rabbit called "Adanko" (Asante-Twi to mean "Hare") in some stories. The Jamaican character with the same name "Brer Rabbit", is an adaptation of the Ananse stories of the Akan people.[5]

The African savanna hare (Lepus microtis) found all over sub-Saharan Africa: the original Br'er Rabbit.
Some scholars have suggested that in his American incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represented the enslaved Africans who used their wits to overcome adversity and to exact revenge on their adversaries, the white slave owners.[6] Though not always successful, the efforts of Br'er Rabbit made him a folk hero. However, the trickster is a multidimensional character. While he can be a hero, his amoral nature and his lack of any positive restraint can make him into a villain as well.[7]
For both Africans and African Americans, the animal trickster represents an extreme form of behavior that people may be forced to adopt in extreme circumstances in order to survive."

The trickster is not to be admired in every situation. He is an example of what to do, but also an example of what not to do. The trickster's behavior can be summed up in the common African proverb: "It's trouble that makes the monkey chew on hot peppers." In other words, sometimes people must use extreme measures in extreme circumstances.[8] Several elements in the Brer Rabbit Tar Baby story (e.g., rabbit needing to be taught a lesson, punching and head butting the rabbit, the stuck rabbit being swung around and around) are reminiscent of those found in a Zimbabwe-Botswana folktale.[9]
Folklorists in the late 19th century first documented evidence that the American versions of the stories originated among enslaved West Africans based on connections between Br'er Rabbit and Leuk, a rabbit trickster in Senegalese folklore.[7][10] The stories of Br'er Rabbit were written down by Robert Roosevelt, an uncle of US President Theodore Roosevelt. Theodore Roosevelt wrote in his autobiography about his aunt from the State of Georgia, that "She knew all the 'Br'er Rabbit' stories, and I was brought up on them. One of my uncles, Robert Roosevelt, was much struck with them, and took them down from her dictation, publishing them in Harper's, where they fell flat. This was a good many years before a genius arose who, in 'Uncle Remus', made the stories immortal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br'er_Rabbit

Do you think there's any possibility of Disneyland saying that the new "Splash Mountain" is located in New Orleans Square instead of Critter Country? It's right next door to New Orleans Square and it would absolutely fit being as part of that land.

Do you think there's any possibility of Disneyland saying that the new "Splash Mountain" is located in New Orleans Square instead of Critter Country? It's right next door to New Orleans Square and it would absolutely fit being as part of that land.

I do think they'll need to do a New Orleans Square expansion... IMO the optics of leaving it in Critter Country are not great. :confused3

But then what happens of Winnie the Pooh? It could be in either land and fit in. There are critters in PatF

Would “Tiana’s Place” fit into the space where Blue Bayou is? I know its obviously attached to PotC, but you dont really get a “Pirate” theme from that scene of the ride. Blue Bayou has gone down hill quite a bit over the years and might be due for a re-theme itself

I do think they'll need to do a New Orleans Square expansion... IMO the optics of leaving it in Critter Country are not great. :confused3

I don't think it would be a big deal if they just left it but i feel like it's too perfect that New Orleans Square is right there for them not to do something. It will basically be the ride that would fit there the most lol

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, remind me who Evangeline is?

Ray - the lightning bug - is always talking about his love Evangeline. I don't know how to type the rest without spoiling! :D Wait figured it out!
So we discover Evangeline is a star and then later on when Ray dies, you see another star up next to Evangeline - when the lightning bugs die they become stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter