Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney (and any company for that matter) doesn’t have to be perfect in every aspect to make a change to something. It doesn’t reflect poorly on anyone but the person making the argument when they start with the “well what about _____??”

They felt the source material was offensive enough to make it very difficult to watch (legally) for years. That they are doing something about the ride isn’t shocking or cancel culture or PC police or wherever people want to say.

I hesitate to bring this up here, because I don't want to encourage potential trolling in the other thread, but there is a relevant thread from a few weeks ago elsewhere on the boards that I recommend to anyone genuinely interested in hearing first-hand perspectives and experiences from Black park-goers. A potential Splash retheme was discussed, as well as other topics like the plantation theming of Riverside, and just what it's like in general to be Black at WDW. It may be eye-opening for some.

For many (dare I say most) of us, WDW is a place to go to get away from the real world. I think Disney tries to embody that idea and promote that kind of environment, but not everything can be left at the door. Disney should do what they can to fix what they can to make their park visitors feel more welcome in their parks, especially in an attraction they created.

I know a lot of people think all of this is catering to "woke" or "PC" or "cancel" culture. I personally can't see how doing something that will make people feel less unwelcome within the community is a bad thing. In my opinion, it's worse to subliminally tell someone "Come to our parks, we want your money, but we don't care if this ride reminds you about that movie we made a long time ago that implied your life was better when you were property. Look, we made it cute!" :scared:

I love Splash. I also recognize that, unfortunately, it's not just a cutesy ride about a rabbit and a fox and a bear to everyone. And there are Black park-goers who have said they don't think the ride necessarily HAS to be rethemed. I imagine Disney has collected whatever data they need to collect to make this decision, though, and the data indicates they need to retheme.

The defense that "a lot of people love this ride so Disney should ignore anyone who doesn't" is ...weird. A lot of people love a lot of questionable things that shouldn't be accepted or promoted, especially by Disney in their parks. Heck, a lot of people love EPCOT - Disney's still redoing the majority of the park. There have been comments all across the internet that come off as basically "sure, I hear that this is really hurtful to you, but I enjoy it, so it should stay, and you should just deal with it." That's weird.

Kleph really nailed it.

When persons who are the subject of something that is racist inform me of the problem, I find it behooves me to listen to them rather than simply assuming my point of view is the correct one.

Disney says they've been working on this for a while, and I don't doubt that - I know fans in the community have pitched a PatF retheme for years. Do I think Disney's announcement came at a convenient and calculated time? Well, sure, that's how PR works. But I don't think they just suddenly decided to do a project this massive within the last few weeks. Even if that's not true, though, and they're only now looking to change the ride because it's been brought to their attention that it's problematic for some of their guests, then ok. They are now aware they have created something hurtful to a portion of their visitors, and are trying to fix that.

No matter how much noise there is from anyone on either side, at the end of the day, Disney is going to do what they deem to be the best decision for Disney, plain and simple. Disney has decided the best thing for them to do, for myriad reasons, is to retheme Splash. They are under a TON of pressure to get this right, too. If they don't, they'll be royally upsetting both PatF fans and Splash fans. It would be lose-lose-lose.

The defense that "a lot of people love this ride so Disney should ignore anyone who doesn't" is ...weird. A lot of people love a lot of questionable things that shouldn't be accepted or promoted, especially by Disney in their parks. Heck, a lot of people love EPCOT - Disney's still redoing the majority of the park. There have been comments all across the internet that come off as basically "sure, I hear that this is really hurtful to you, but I enjoy it, so it should stay, and you should just deal with it." That's weird.

Totally agree and will just add that the idea that if the majority like it like it is then it should stay.... well, that is how we got the issues we currently have. We need to listen to the concerns of the minorities as well and not just say "majority rules"

Totally agree and will just add that the idea that if the majority like it like it is then it should stay.... well, that is how we got the issues we currently have. We need to listen to the concerns of the minorities as well and not just say "majority rules"

I think it's fair to listen to everybody.

I am not saying majority rules. I am just tired of being told that I am not allowed to have an opinion/be upset about this because of x, y, z reason.

has there been any information regarding when they will close down Splash to make the change?
I assume it will go down for many months. I sure hope they don't do it when half the attractions are already closed because of covid.

has there been any information regarding when they will close down Splash to make the change?
I assume it will go down for many months. I sure hope they don't do it when half the attractions are already closed because of covid.
Jim Hill talked about some the challenges they will face at the time it was if they they retheme it. All the sets are concrete so it’s gonna be a lot of work for them to this right. Bet it takes at least a year.

if much of the hard work is being done behind the scenes with animatronics, and set pieces, I can’t imagine it being out of the realm of possibility that they close down in September and its open before the 50th. That’s unlikely, but I’m not sure it’s a 2.5 year project the way SSE has been rumored to be.

All I know is 7DMT might drop below 90 min average standby (with 50% “average” capacity) if PatF opens alongside Tron.

It's going to boil down to a personal judgement. It always has and always will. That being said, I'm open minded (but still want my Cajun/Creole eatery next to Splash Mountain). I am not looking for an Antoine's or Commanders Palace.

This will give me a reason try to ride again once complete. I remember riding the first time in 1993 and I think I rode again in 2001, but I am not sure if I have done since. It was never a favorite and I found it slightly boring so not worth the wait or getting wet.

The only fond memory of the attraction was my parents, sister and I riding it together and hearing each of their reactions as we went over the first time in 1993.

The fun nature of the Splash ride, songs, and characters was one of my favorite experiences in WDW. While I am beyond saddened the characters and songs (I personally prefer “How do ya do” to “Zip-a-dee-doo-dah) of Splash mountain, I do agree Tiana and friends deserve better park representation. However, I feel as if a new ride would be better than shoehorning them in to a reason for the sake of it. If representation and racism are in fact at hand, (I am in no position to say yes or no,) I feel as if it’s better to do them what they deserve rather than for the sake of disney saying “hey we have Tiana!”

if much of the hard work is being done behind the scenes with animatronics, and set pieces, I can’t imagine it being out of the realm of possibility that they close down in September and its open before the 50th. That’s unlikely, but I’m not sure it’s a 2.5 year project the way SSE has been rumored to be.

All I know is 7DMT might drop below 90 min average standby (with 50% “average” capacity) if PatF opens alongside Tron.
well that would suck if they close it before the 50th, since we're coming in July 2021 and splash mountain is our favorite ride.

“ It’s been in the works since last year“

Sure it has Disney...

Why is it that hard to believe?

People have talked about the idea of a Princess and the Frog refurb of Splash for a long time. Is it that hard to think Disney had considered the possibility too? They have to have tons of concepts “in discussion”, some concepts tabled and revisited for years I would imagine.

I think the announcement timing is convenient but I can believe the concept was discussed in some fashion before this.

you associiate with the people you grew up on. Kids today know Rei, Po, and Finn more then Luke, Leia, Han. And with reboot movies kids will associate more with the reboot characters then the old ones.

Kinda like music - you are more attached to the songs you listen to growing up.

This is so true. I was born in the late seventies and by the time more princess movies came out, I was not into princesses. So, my favorite princess is Mulan as I did not have any growing up to associate with, I definitely like the newer princess over the earlier ones.

If someone had asked me to name a film Princess at the age of ten, it was Leia.

well that would suck if they close it before the 50th, since we're coming in July 2021 and splash mountain is our favorite ride.

I obviously dont know for certain what the timeline is, I dont think any of us do. But I’m going off of what Disney has done many times in the past. Announce a new ride replacing an old one, give the old ride a farewell tour and then close it down and start construction.

Reading through responses elsewhere, both on this site and off, I feel weird being on somewhat the same “side” as some of the people most outraged. Yikes.

I just want a properly done refurb and no screens, scrims, and large blank areas. The recent refurbs don’t fill me with confidence. Then I read those other comments and feel like I need to slowly back into the bushes like Homer Simpson. Those are NOT my people 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter