Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
They knew it was offensive enough to have kept Song of the South locked in the Disney vault since 1986 (with the noted exception of making Splash Mountain itself).

Yeah and I think the decisions when Splash was made to avoid uncle remus and only focus on the characters and so forth was a very deliberate decision to hopefully keep what was considered good and avoid the known problematic elements but in the end I think it's connection to SotS and Uncle Remus Stories was too much to overcome.

It would be nice if at some point the stories of bair rabbit and fox could be repackaged in a format that is respectful to their original origins but at this point I think disney has too much baggage on the subject to be able to be the ones to do that.

If you read, this has been in the works prior to petitions.

Yes, I read the article. I still feel that the number of people who love and enjoy the ride out number those who want it removed by about a million to one. And the only reason they are doing this is to appease the few complainers. Disney has been shut down for months, losing tons of money, and has several major new projects that they will have to delay, but now is the time to announce they are going to shut down an extremely popular ride. Makes perfect sense.

So, Splash Mountain is racist and offensive because of the link to Song of the South, yet nobody is upset that the man that made Song of the South a household name has his name on and is the face of a multi-billion dollar company?

Walt didn’t make SotS.

Yes, I read the article. I still feel that the number of people who love and enjoy the ride out number those who want it removed by about a million to one. And the only reason they are doing this is to appease the few complainers. Disney has been shut down for months, losing tons of money, and has several major new projects that they will have to delay, but now is the time to announce they are going to shut down an extremely popular ride. Makes perfect sense.
Yes now is the perfect time. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t been in the works though.

Here's the thing: it doesn't have to make sense to you. Be glad you don't feel the way many feel about it. Instead you're just angry that a ride is being changed.

As someone of native American heritage, I say leave Peter Pan alone!!! I think the Indian scene is great. My kids and I sing "what made the red man red" all the time. So no need to be offended by Peter Pan on my behalf. :-)

And this is the tricky part about these things. Not everyone feels the same way and often the largest outcry comes form the smallest few who aren't even impacted. That said, I can totally understand the desire to not offend anybody at all, and I can respect that position, even if I find it unrealistc to implement.

The depictions of native peoples is racist and patronizing. It also has a context of colonialism which is deeply problematic.
I think it can be retooled and rejiggered to be more palatable to modern audiences. I don’t think it would require as extensive of a redo as Splash Mountain, but I have a feeling they’re waiting to see what happens with the Jungle Cruise film (whenever it gets released lol).

As a Brit it shows as very imperialistic - all hail the empire in viewpoint. It is how we depicted the "savages" of Africa essentially and that isn't okay. I get it happened, this was the attitude we had but it needs to not be seen as a fun ride!

And Country Bear Jamboree (which I LOVE, maybe not as much as but almost as much as Craig) portrays Southerners/rural Americans as podunk hillbillies. At what point do we call it, burn the whole thing down, and salt the earth where it stood?

The depictions of native peoples is racist and patronizing. It also has a context of colonialism which is deeply problematic.

Is that the narrative of what is being challenged at the Jungle Cruise?

If so, then I will exclaim and take issue with the Jurassic Park theme/rides at Universal for not agreeing with the millions and billions of years ago theory. Yet, I am not asking for a re-theming.

Started reading at 11:30 and just now fgot to the end at 4pm. I knew this was going to be vitriolic, but you people still impressed.

perfect time to retheme it and adjust those scenes and add in Dwayne Johnson. "looks like we are caught between a rock and The Rock"

perfect time to retheme it and adjust those scenes and add in Dwayne Johnson. "looks like we are caught between a rock and The Rock"
Thanks for that one though.

And Country Bear Jamboree (which I LOVE, maybe not as much as but almost as much as Craig) portrays Southerners/rural Americans as podunk hillbillies. At what point do we call it, burn the whole thing down, and salt the earth where it stood?

Hey, I'm from Tennessee (hyuk! - actually I am a very urbane city-folk ;) ) - the CBJ doesn't offend me at all. I wouldn't get out the pitchforks if they decided to tewak it a little, as long as it's not too heavily.

But the difference is for people who like the ride, at the end of the day, changing it will just mean they lose that ride. For those that are complaining about the ride and its connection to SotS changing it means no longer having to be reminded of a time, not too long ago, when people who look like them were subjected to state-sponsored terrorism partially supported by propaganda like SotS and other "Lost Cause" mythology. Even if there are fewer people that have issues with the ride, the stakes of their concerns are way higher than those who are unbothered.

No I didn't. I said he made it a household name. He bought the rights and produced the movie.

And it also wasn’t seen as problematic when it came out. Things change, people change, ideals change. We move forward. Some things and ideas are very outdated and belong in the past. If Walt were alive and you asked him if he’d make that movie again, I. Sure you know the answer he’d give. I’m grieving just as much as anyone sad to see Splash Mountain go. But it had to go. And I’m excited to be able to ride it at least 1 more time, and I’m excited to see the new ride developed by 2 Uber talented imagineers

my only gripe at first was the FL theme but then I remember Song of the South really doesn't fit a 'Western' aesthetic either.....

I hope they decide to in good faith open up a Beginet place prior to the ride closing cause god knows when POFQ will reopen and even if they do if day guests will be able to even visit scat cats

Also if I were in charge I'd of 100% just softly closed the origional instead of reopening it in July that way I could prioritize getting the redo + tron open by the 50th

I think it can be retooled and rejiggered to be more palatable to modern audiences. I don’t think it would require as extensive of a redo as Splash Mountain, but I have a feeling they’re waiting to see what happens with the Jungle Cruise film (whenever it gets released lol).

Yeah if the movie does well could easily give jungle cruise the PoTC treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter