Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, and Im not trying to put you on the spot, so please forgive me. But the way you posted your thoughts is the perfect sedgway-

Why did it "need to happen"? Because I don't understand it one bit.

There was no "need" for this to happen. At all. Have a regular WDW customer list 100 things wrong with the parks, and Splash Mountain wouldn't get mentioned once. Ever. Its literally the most iconic thing about Magic Kingdom other than Cinderella's castle.

All this kind of stuff does is make people "feel" good. Once its shutdown and the new ride is put together, I guarantee Disney will look back at this and say, "Man, what did we just do..."
Maybe "need" was a strong word, but I understand the move. All I'm going to say on this is that I'm not offended, but I'm not the important part/the center of these conversations. It's easy for me to say that I'm not uncomfortable, but I'm not the point.

Change is inevitable.
During our March trip, our 4 1/2 year old was tall enough to ride a lot of the rides. Experiencing the parks with her and seeing things through her viewpoint, I can understand the changes. On Splash Mountain, I just kept thinking wow she has no idea who these characters are and neither do most kids.

I don't think it's necessarily over forever, but the current regime (both Iger and Chapek) have made it clear that they will not make a ride without pre-existing IP attached. I think it's a big mistake because almost all of the great rides at WDW weren't based on IP.

It is not just a sympton of rides but also of the movie industry and both I think have the same through process. As expensive as a ride or a movie are to make, the feeling is that an existing IP has built in support in terms of existing fans which is why we see so many sequels and reboots or stuff vs original content. It is just seen as a safer course and for theme parks you often have people asking "oh I'd love to see something from this movie over here I love". I think there may be a time when that sentiment changes but right now it's very engrained in the entertainment community.

While we have everyone here pressed and ready to fight - I’d also like to propose we redesign small world into a high speed, dark, water ride where the children scream “it’s a word of laughter, a world of tears” in death metal style music.

edit: it would really make my day if @rteetz could hit the like button just one of my satirical posts, and please let it be this one.

Last edited:

I’m confused if Splash Mountain is very problematic then why is Disney still selling some Splash Mountain Merch on ShopDisney? And then if they sell splash Mountain farewell shirts, wouldn’t they be contradicting themselves.

As frustrating as it is for a lot of people, we knew this was coming. This was the only reference to Song of the South that Disney had. Bob Iger refused to put the film on Disney+ and the company has done just about everything they can to pretend that the movie didn't happen. I will not share my personal opinion on the movie, but there is no denying that it's extremely divisive, regardless of your stance.

While it will be weird to see a classic altered like this, I think it could still work. The drop will still be there and you can definitely theme it after the Princess and the Frog. Making it look like the Louisiana Bayou shouldn't be that hard. It won't be the same but has been expected for some time now and given Disney's stance on the movie, it's understandable. Not to mention what has transpired over the past month. It will be different but if I get the chance to go, I'm excited to try it out.

Splash Mountain was built on repurposed animatronics, so re-theming is already part of its history. As a ride, I don't really mind this idea - as long as they use Dr. Facilier to keep the creepy tonal shift right before the drop. How it fits into the theming of surrounding lands has potential issues, though. At Disneyland, it's right next to New Orleans Square (and Critter Country has pretty much become just "the walkway to Galaxy's Edge"), so you could just annex Splash Mountain into New Orleans Square and the re-theming would still fit. It's a bit more of a problem in WDW, since a New Orleans-themed ride doesn't really fit in Frontierland.

For those who haven't seen PatF, I'd recommend it. The first time I watched, I was a little perplexed since it felt like Disney, but at the same time didn't feel like Disney. Finally I realized that we'd become used to post-Mermaid films as what "Disney" is, but PatF feels more like a classic late 60's / early 70s Disney film like Robin Hood or Jungle Book, so that's why it felt familiar, but still not.

Yes to the bolded part!

I mean I get the IP issue, but....think of the possibilities they can do with this ride with Princess and Frog theme - it is still a fantastic Disney movie done in the classical animation style after all.

The Bayou swamp, the voodoo, the music, the colors, the lightning bugs (fireflies), Evangeline!!!

This could end up being spectacular!!!

Guess I'll see it in 2023! :D

I love the Princess and the Frog and agree there are so many cool things they can do with the theme. They should open up Tiana's restaurant while they're at it.

I moved an entire already-planned trip a few years ago because I found out Splash Mountain was going to be down for refurb on the originally planned dates. So that should tell people how I feel about this.

I have needed to get over my (expensive) Disney love/obsession for a while and this will probably do it. I am appalled.

It's a miserable and myopic vision of what life should be.

Yeah, I mean, I disagree with the decision but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I do have a passionate opinion on the matter, but I've already posted what I'd like to see as far as accepting it. I'm good - I mean we're not talking about X-Men comics here (talk about problematic!). ;) I just feel like this whole thing is ill-conceived and probably being done on the cheap as a retheme. I mean, doesn't anyone think it's problematic to give the property a hand-me-down instead of a big new ride?

You’d think this could have waited until after the 50th. Having active construction on a major attraction during an anniversary like the 50th just seems weird and bad timing. I’m sure they’ll close it during its yearly maintenance timeframe of February, but maybe it’s sooner, maybe it’s later. Its going to take a while to completely retheme it, I don’t envision a TOT to Guardians type situation, unless they budget cut the crap out of it

They did not announce any kind of timeline. Don't assume it will be closed for the 50th.

I’d like that, but I dont remember Disney ever making a ride/attraction announcement and waiting very long to start working on it. Most have been a few months notice at most
That's why I think they'll start at Disneyland first. Get theirs done and then switch ours over. That way they are starting it "soon".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter