Splash Mountain to be reimagined to The Princess and the Frog with Princess Tiana and Louis theme

It's a fantasy world in the south. Could be anywhere - not just Georgia where Song of the South takes place. Aren't there parts of the south that have lots of hills?

Isn't PaTF set in New Orleans? Disney is filled with rides that where even the smallest details mimic the movies they are based on. It;s not out of the ordinary for them to make sure things are as realistic to the movie as they can be.
I just think it's the lazy way out. They are using someone elses idea for a fantasy ride instead of coming up with something new. It would be one thing if Splash was sitting there all defunct,, but IMO retheming a beloved ride is the lazy way out so one doesn't have to come with an additional ride that people will enjoy. YMMV.

Having said all that it isn't going to make me not like the ride anymore, even though I'm disappointed that the nostalgia will be gone while riding it.
It's a water flume, unless that changes it really doesn't matter to me in the end.
Now if they mess with Haunted Mansion then I won't be setting foot in MK ever again.

I have no problem with re-theming Splash Mountain, but a mountain ride for New Orleans will feel like a copout. PaTF was amazing animation, the last of its kind, and it deserves better treatment.

Isn't PaTF set in New Orleans? Disney is filled with rides that where even the smallest details mimic the movies they are based on. It;s not out of the ordinary for them to make sure things are as realistic to the movie as they can be.
I just think it's the lazy way out. They are using someone elses idea for a fantasy ride instead of coming up with something new. It would be one thing if Splash was sitting there all defunct,, but IMO retheming a beloved ride is the lazy way out so one doesn't have to come with an additional ride that people will enjoy. YMMV.
It fits into the theme at Disneyland because it's right next to Haunted Mansion.

neworleansmapkey.jpg

Splash Mountain used a lot of shortcuts including the animatronics from a defunct attraction. It was costing way too much money and they didn't want to spend more than they had to. So I guess

Not sure exactly how it would fit into a Princess and the Frog theme. Still - it's just a fantasy and it's easy enough to take liberties.

Disney took the California Adventure Tower of Terror and turned into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. It was an impressive job they did too.

But with this ride the idea is to create a scene that happens after the movie in a fresh location. It wouldn't have to exactly match up with the movie.

Having said all that it isn't going to make me not like the ride anymore, even though I'm disappointed that the nostalgia will be gone while riding it.
It's a water flume, unless that changes it really doesn't matter to me in the end.
If they change that, I'm done!

I have no problem with re-theming Splash Mountain, but a mountain ride for New Orleans will feel like a copout. PaTF was amazing animation, the last of its kind, and it deserves better treatment.

It's a fantasy movie. I'd think they could explain everything as made by magic.

I am SUPER excited about this change! I love The Princess and the Frog and if Disney takes its time with the theming, there is the opportunity for this to be the best princess-themed attraction in Magic Kingdom.

Putting aside my personal feelings about the way the South is represented in Splash Mountain, very few people under 40 have seen Song of the South and Tiana is IP long overdue for concrete representation in the parks. I 100% believe that this has been in the works for a long while. It is a business decision and Disney loves money.

I'm not going to get all worked up over a log flume. I have enough faith in Disney Imagineering to make it fantastic, so I won't worry about it.

I’m surprised at the number of people who think Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox originated from SOTS. Those stories were oooooooold long before the movie.
Thanks to youtube, I found out about the Brer Rabbit themed ride that 6 Flags over Georgia used to have. Talked to my parents, and they LOVED that ride when my dad was stationed in Georgia in the early 70s.

I’m surprised at the number of people who think Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox originated from SOTS. Those stories were oooooooold long before the movie.
And this is who my children and grandchildren associated the ride with.. Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. They have no clue of the original storyline.

Thanks to youtube, I found out about the Brer Rabbit themed ride that 6 Flags over Georgia used to have. Talked to my parents, and they LOVED that ride when my dad was stationed in Georgia in the early 70s.

Tales of the Okefenokee? I've heard my parents and an aunt talking about that ride, before it became Monster Plantation, and eventually Monster Mansion. I need to look for the video as I don't think I've ever seen it.

It makes sense for DL because they already have New Orleans square. I wish they had just re-themed it something else and created a New Orleans Square w/a Tiana ride at WDW.

I understand why the theming is being changed. I also think Tiana deserves her own attraction. I don't think Frontierland is the place for it though. Personally, at least for WDW, I think a Pocahontas re-theming of Splash would have fit better. The drop would have fit perfectly with Pocahontas and her canoe going down the waterfall in "Just Around the Riverbend." They could have included scenes from the village, the forest, and a huge Grandmother Willow giving sage advice.

It's been a few years since I've watched PatF but I just don't really see how it fits with the theming of Frontierland or how the drop will connect with the story. And if they end up moving Tiana's M&G to be next to the ride, that would look even more out of place with her in her fancy gown in Frontierland.

I understand why the theming is being changed. I also think Tiana deserves her own attraction. I don't think Frontierland is the place for it though. Personally, at least for WDW, I think a Pocahontas re-theming of Splash would have fit better. The drop would have fit perfectly with Pocahontas and her canoe going down the waterfall in "Just Around the Riverbend." They could have included scenes from the village, the forest, and a huge Grandmother Willow giving sage advice.

It's been a few years since I've watched PatF but I just don't really see how it fits with the theming of Frontierland or how the drop will connect with the story. And if they end up moving Tiana's M&G to be next to the ride, that would look even more out of place with her in her fancy gown in Frontierland.

I don't think Disney should touch Pocahantas. I think we'd have another petition running if they did. A lot of native Americans do not like the movie depiction of her.

Why not change the boundaries of Frontierland instead of lamenting that she will be in the middle of it? You know WDW will come up with something. Who knows, maybe they could use that whole piece under the ride (where you exit) and turn it into something New Orleans-ish. And that area between Adventureland and Frontierland could be expanded to add somet N.O. flavor... maybe even retheme Pecos restaurant or build something else near the tracks. And isn't the train station that way? That could be converted to a Louisiana flavor, too.

And for everyone who thought "Tiana deserves something original", were you that upset when the Maelstrom became the new Frozen ride? Should they have dreamed up something original for the sisters, too? Sometimes you have to be pragmatic. There's a space and there a need, so that's what gets re-imagined.

Anyway, who says it will be exactly like Splash, only with different theming inside? It could be a whole different trackline. One thing's for sure, it's a 20 minute ride, so the imagineers will have plenty of space to do Tiana justice.

Last edited:
Why not change the boundaries of Frontierland instead of lamenting that she will be in the middle of it? You know WDW will come up with something.

And for everyone who thought "Tiana deserves something original", were you that upset when the Maelstrom became the new Frozen ride? Should they have dreamed up something original for the sisters, too? Sometimes you have to be pragmatic. There's a space and there a need, so that's what gets re-imagined.

Anyway, who says it will be exactly like Splash, only with different theming inside? It could be a whole different trackline. One thing's for sure, it's a 20 minute ride, so the imagineers will have plenty of space to do Tiana justice.
Don't get me started on Frozen in Norway. That one really angered me but to each their own.

Why not change the boundaries of Frontierland instead of lamenting that she will be in the middle of it? You know WDW will come up with something. Who knows, maybe they could use that whole piece under the ride (where you exit) and turn it into something New Orleans-ish. And that area between Adventureland and Frontierland could be expanded to add somet N.O. flavor... maybe even retheme Pecos restaurant or build something else near the tracks. And isn't the train station that way? That could be converted to a Louisiana flavor, too.

Uh yeah, and sell beignets. not those Mickey shaped ones but real fluffy hot beignets covered in powdered sugar and chocolate sauce.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter