Splash Mountain timing for going down for rehab

PamNC

DIS Veteran
I want to start a thread for Splash. Anyone that has info, thoughts, guesses on when it will close for the change - please share. Once I hear this date and it's official, I will get in the car and make the 9 hour drive if only for a couple day's stay. I must ride my favorite Disney ride at least 5 more times.

Logic says January 2023. They certainly aren't going to do it this year. They also won't have it shut down during the 50th, and then they won't want it shutdown for the Holiday season after the 50th.

I agree, OP! I'm planning to ride at least three times on my MK day in a couple of weeks. This ride has long been a favorite and I need to soak it all in (no pun intended!)

I think they will release the "open date" January 2021 and close the ride Summer 2022. Hopefully the rehab only takes 6 months and we can have a brand new attraction in December 2022

P.S I have NEVER rode splash mountain bc we go during the winter when it is being refurbished. I need to at least go once!

It makes most sense to shut it down over the cooler winter months, with lower ridership. I don't foresee bringing it down in the summer.

Hot take...WDW Splash doesn't get a refurb. DL probably will but with the current construction queue and infighting at Disney, I don't think WDW will change.

They don't have a choice but to change it at WDW. It will happen there. They will delay another project if they have to. However if will be a while before it starts. They literally have no plans except that borrowed concept art they shot out there without thought. Im sure some junior imaginers are working their rumps off on the design right now 🤣

Hot take...WDW Splash doesn't get a refurb. DL probably will but with the current construction queue and infighting at Disney, I don't think WDW will change.
That's what I'm hoping. The new theme would be great in DL and really enhance the area since New Orleans is next to Splash Mtn. But I don't see such an easy solution in WDW. Do they leave the theme Frontierland even though the new Mtn theme doesn't really belong or change the whole land around?

Just a guess, but I would expect it to go down after the 50th celebration is over. If (and its a big if now), the parks are as crowded as they hope, they will need another ride open that can handle a large crowd.

They don't have a choice but to change it at WDW.
They absolutely do have a choice. They can let the project languish for a few years (which seems inevitable due to finances & the 50th being around the corner), then, after people's attention has shifted away from this, acknowledge that the renovation project died in development. Contrary to what you might read on Twitter, most actual Disney World guests would prefer it to stay the way it is, so they wouldn't suffer from that decision.

I would guess that it would start after the 50th sometime, like January 2022.
I wish that they kept Splash Mountain the same and just built a new Princess and the Frog thrill ride in Fantasy Land. Princess and the Frog deserves an attraction, but not at the expense of Splash.

They don't have a choice but to change it at WDW. It will happen there. They will delay another project if they have to. However if will be a while before it starts. They literally have no plans except that borrowed concept art they shot out there without thought. Im sure some junior imaginers are working their rumps off on the design right now 🤣
Why don't they have a choice?

Logic says January 2023. They certainly aren't going to do it this year. They also won't have it shut down during the 50th, and then they won't want it shutdown for the Holiday season after the 50th.
Agree. That does make the most sense

There are a ton of ride videos on YouTube for Splash. There are even 4k VR videos for it and they pretty good. Even if they closed tonight we will get to see it forever anyway. The Horizons ride video just takes me back - with the orange grove scent.

So with Splash Mountain going down for a lengthy refurb/retheme at some point in the future...do you think it will do its “normal” refurb in Jan/Feb 2021? We would really like to ride it again before the retheme so trying to explore our date options.

So with Splash Mountain going down for a lengthy refurb/retheme at some point in the future...do you think it will do its “normal” refurb in Jan/Feb 2021? We would really like to ride it again before the retheme so trying to explore our date options.

I think so...probably due to low ridership?

thanks everyone - I'm hoping it stays the same at WDW AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter