• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Splash Mountain - time for a major rehab

ckb_nc

DIS Veteran
Best I can tell, its is down a whole bunch these days and was down while we were there in mid-October. I can not remember when a ride of this caliber has been this flaky in a while.

Anyone have details?

Best I can tell, its is down a whole bunch these days and was down while we were there in mid-October. I can not remember when a ride of this caliber has been this flaky in a while.

Anyone have details?

Splash has had lots of non-working effects over the years (some get fixed, some keep going down again and again.)

A major 60-90 day refurb is coming in January 2014.

Been going for years and this was literally by far the worse I have seen the ride/not working.

I remember riding in the fall of 2011 and a lot of the features were not working properly. Then in April 2012, after the annual rehab, everything seemed to be working and in synch.

Hopefully January's rehab will take care of the issues, at least until the following January.

So maybe NOT a good idea to get it as one of our FP+ over Thanksgiving week?:confused3

That's up to you, but unless you are really going to be bothered if it's not working properly, or if you have something else you would enjoy just as much, I would stay with it. You never know when any attraction is going to be down. Test Track, Space Mountain, and RNRC have their share of problems too.

My suggestion is to not FP+ only because if wait times is right its been closed a bunch and was closed on us at MK. The last day we rode it at around 3pm and was closed later that day after we left.

You could always try and FP it the old fashion way?

That's up to you, but unless you are really going to be bothered if it's not working properly, or if you have something else you would enjoy just as much, I would stay with it. You never know when any attraction is going to be down. Test Track, Space Mountain, and RNRC have their share of problems too.

You just listed the FP+ DH insisted on!:goodvibes We actually never get to do it because it is either in rehab when we go in Jan or the lines are too long/it is down for repairs when we go in Nov.

My suggestion is to not FP+ only because if wait times is right its been closed a bunch and was closed on us at MK. The last day we rode it at around 3pm and was closed later that day after we left.

You could always try and FP it the old fashion way?

Am afraid that FP will not be around for it the day we go and I put it in the early afternoon so we can be mostly dry for our early ADR at BOG.

So maybe NOT a good idea to get it as one of our FP+ over Thanksgiving week?:confused3

I would still get it and if the ride looks like it's going to be down during your return time you could always try to reschedule it. Splash was down most of the day when we were there Sunday. It was up early, then down by 11am, so we rode Big Thunder Mtn and did some other stuff. Kept checking and it was still down so around 5pm I sent DH over there to double check while the kids and I waited in line for Tiana. It was up and running with a 60 minute posted standby, so he grabbed fast passes (paper) with a return time of 5:45-6:15. Worked out perfect for us as it was almost 6 by the time we got back to the ride, we walked right on and were back out by 6:15. Got on the train right there in Frontierland and rode it to Main Street for our 6:30 ADR at Tony's.

The standby line gets long and fast, especially after being down for a good chunk of the day, so I'd rather chance it and book the FP rather than not and possibly miss out. With MK closing Sunday at 7pm we wouldn't have been able to wait 60 minutes with our ADR time.

I agree it's frustrating. We only go every few years and both our kids were finally tall enough to ride, so we would have been really disappointed had it not come back up that day. Hopefully the refurb with help with the issues causing it to be down so much. One can only hope.

Splash was down most of the time we were in MK these past two weeks.

Finally we caught it when it was open on Tuesday. We rode it once standby then once with our FP+. The second time through there were a lot of "pauses" in the ride with the general voice over announcement about trouble up the river.

Then, as we were pulling into the station they had to shut down the entire ride. We sat there for about 10 minutes then they manually evacuated the closest few boats, including us, onto the platform. I was never so thankful to be near the end of a ride.

As we walked past the bridge we saw that they had just started the ride back up, to get everyone else off, and the hill was running with no water on it. The ride remained down until we left the park that afternoon. It was pretty crazy.

At least we got our two rides in!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter