Splash Mountain Characters Also Retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what else is really "problematic"? The Hall of Presidents...but we're not screaming to get rid of that...just saying you can tie anything into something that can be construed as problematic.

All of the presidents were real individuals, that is a little different than creating imaginary characters.

Maybe it's better not to feel so angry and offended about everything you're told to...at least come up with those feelings yourselves and don't let Twitter tell you what you should be outraged about.

LOL, Oh goody... my favorite twist to a discussion... people being offended about people being offended.

It's a shame that African fairy tales are being erased by Disney.

"
The Br'er Rabbit stories can be traced back to trickster figures in Africa, particularly the hare that figures prominently in the storytelling traditions in West, Central, and Southern Africa.[4] Among the Temne people in Sierra Leone, they tell children stories of a talking rabbit.[5] Other regions of Africa also tell children stories of talking rabbits and other animals.[6] These tales continue to be part of the traditional folklore of numerous peoples throughout those regions. In the Akan traditions of West Africa, the trickster is usually the spider Anansi, though the plots in his tales are often identical with those of stories of Br'er Rabbit. However, Anansi does encounter a tricky rabbit called "Adanko" (Asante-Twi to mean "Hare") in some stories. The Jamaican character with the same name "Brer Rabbit" is an adaptation of the Ananse stories of the Akan people.[7][8]

The African savanna hare (Lepus microtis) found in many regions on the African continent: the original Br'er Rabbit.

Some scholars have suggested that in his American incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represented the enslaved Africans who used their wits to overcome adversity and to exact revenge on their adversaries, the white slave owners.[9] Though not always successful, the efforts of Br'er Rabbit made him a folk hero.

Several elements in the Brer Rabbit Tar Baby story (e.g., rabbit needing to be taught a lesson, punching and head butting the rabbit, the stuck rabbit being swung around and around) are reminiscent of those found in a Zimbabwe-Botswana folktale.[10]

Folklorists in the late 19th century first documented evidence that the American versions of the stories originated among enslaved West Africans based on connections between Br'er Rabbit and Leuk, a rabbit trickster in Senegalese folklore."[11][12]

They aren’t, you can still buy and read those fairy tales all you want. Disney doesn’t own the publishing rights to Joel Chandler Harris’s work.

They’re just removing the creations they made based on those tales from their parks, aligns with them burying the movie from public view at this point.

You know what else is really "problematic"? The Hall of Presidents...but we're not screaming to get rid of that...just saying you can tie anything into something that can be construed as problematic. Maybe it's better not to feel so angry and offended about everything you're told to...at least come up with those feelings yourselves and don't let Twitter tell you what you should be outraged about.
I've been screaming this FOREVER but not because of the content (I don't visit it, I don't care) but because it has no business being in the park built on fantasy. At the Magic Kingdom I don't want to think about the world, history, conservation etc. I want to step outside of the real world. That is VALUABLE real estate in a great location and could make an incredible table service HAUNTED MANSION restaurant.

"
The Br'er Rabbit stories can be traced back to trickster figures in Africa, particularly the hare that figures prominently in the storytelling traditions in West, Central, and Southern Africa.[4] Among the Temne people in Sierra Leone, they tell children stories of a talking rabbit.[5] Other regions of Africa also tell children stories of talking rabbits and other animals.[6] These tales continue to be part of the traditional folklore of numerous peoples throughout those regions. In the Akan traditions of West Africa, the trickster is usually the spider Anansi, though the plots in his tales are often identical with those of stories of Br'er Rabbit. However, Anansi does encounter a tricky rabbit called "Adanko" (Asante-Twi to mean "Hare") in some stories. The Jamaican character with the same name "Brer Rabbit" is an adaptation of the Ananse stories of the Akan people.[7][8]

The African savanna hare (Lepus microtis) found in many regions on the African continent: the original Br'er Rabbit.

Some scholars have suggested that in his American incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represented the enslaved Africans who used their wits to overcome adversity and to exact revenge on their adversaries, the white slave owners.[9] Though not always successful, the efforts of Br'er Rabbit made him a folk hero.

Several elements in the Brer Rabbit Tar Baby story (e.g., rabbit needing to be taught a lesson, punching and head butting the rabbit, the stuck rabbit being swung around and around) are reminiscent of those found in a Zimbabwe-Botswana folktale.[10]

Folklorists in the late 19th century first documented evidence that the American versions of the stories originated among enslaved West Africans based on connections between Br'er Rabbit and Leuk, a rabbit trickster in Senegalese folklore."[11][12]
AND HERE LIES THE PROBLEM ~ the Uncle Remus stories that SOS are based on are not the original African Folk Tales. They are stolen African Folk Tales that were changed, whitewashed to perpetuate the propaganda that the slaves were happy with life.

They aren’t, you can still buy and read those fairy tales all you want. Disney doesn’t own the publishing rights to Joel Chandler Harris’s work.

They’re just removing the creations they made based on those tales from their parks, aligns with them burying the movie from public view at this point.
Thank goodness because he stole all those stories. He (a white man from rural Georgia plantation community) rewrote those stories to make slavery as not so bad and that the freed slaves wanted to stay with their owner families and everyone was happy. The Harris books themselves are as bad as the movie.

Yes if someone wants to enjoy the tales, find a book that tells them in their origination. Don't buy the Harris books, look for the books written by folks who these stories belong to. Now had he dictated their stories and printed them in their original form that would have been great, but he took those stories, changed them for the audience and made positive something that was negative. What is worse he is claimed to have "preserved stories" for the future so historians wouldn't alter them ~ which is what he did. His books should be put to rest.

Last edited:

I've been screaming this FOREVER but not because of the content (I don't visit it, I don't care) but because it has no business being in the park built on fantasy. At the Magic Kingdom I don't want to think about the world, history, conservation etc. I want to step outside of the real world. That is VALUABLE real estate in a great location and could make an incredible table service HAUNTED MANSION restaurant.
LO when I was a little kid and went to the Magic Kingdom I was convinced that Abe Lincoln was still alive because of that animatronic
But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Haunted Mansion restaurant idea....and a larger Memento Mori... Oh and bring back the Ghost photo studio!! I still regret not getting one of those portraits

My girls have all the characters from the Splash Mountain store. Br'er fox's tail is about 6 ft long and my youngest makes a bed out of it for her other stuffies. I told them to keep them in good shape as they are no longer available. I tried to explain why and that just made them want to watch Song of the south lol. Good thing we have it on DVD.

AND HERE LIES THE PROBLEM ~ the Uncle Remus stories that SOS are based on are not the original African Folk Tales. They are stolen African Folk Tales that were changed, whitewashed to perpetuate the propaganda that the slaves were happy with life.

Thank goodness because he stole all those stories. He (a white man from rural Georgia plantation community) rewrote those stories to make slavery as not so bad and that the freed slaves wanted to stay with their owner families and everyone was happy. The Harris books themselves are as bad as the movie.

This is actually incorrect. Joel Chandler Harris was an outcast and minority (The Irish were considered an inferior race at the time). He was also an illegitimate child which was also really frowned upon. He was one of the few white people who actually hung out and was friends with African Americans.

"While at Turnwold Plantation, Harris spent hundreds of hours in the slave quarters during time off. He was less self-conscious there and felt his humble background as an illegitimate, red-headed son of an Irish immigrant helped foster an intimate connection with the slaves. He absorbed the stories, language, and inflections of people like Uncle George Terrell, Old Harbert, and Aunt Crissy.[6] The African-American animal tales they shared later became the foundation and inspiration for Harris's Uncle Remus tales. George Terrell and Old Harbert in particular became models for Uncle Remus, as well as role models for Harris."

Both Julius Lester and Ralph Ellison praise Harris,

"
Julius-Lester--300x220.jpg

Julius Lester, a black folklorist and university professor, sees the Uncle Remus stories as important records of black folklore. He has rewritten many of the Harris stories in an effort to elevate the subversive elements over the purportedly racist ones. Regarding the nature of the Uncle Remus character, Lester said,

There are no inaccuracies in Harris's characterization of Uncle Remus. Even the most cursory reading of the slave narratives collected by the Federal Writer's Project of the 1930s reveals that there were many slaves who fit the Uncle Remus mold.[42]

cf9925c4-74b7-44d9-b7c4-6bad1c56f64b.jpg

The author Ralph Ellison was positive about Harris' work:

Aesop and Uncle Remus had taught us that comedy is a disguised form of philosophical instruction; and especially when it allows us to glimpse the animal instincts lying beneath the surface of our civilized affectations.[43]

Ah yeah, the historic achievement of when he wasn't allowed to go to the premier because of segregation. Such an important moment in history indeed.
My understanding is Mr. Baskett didn't attend because he was very ill, not because of segregation.

My understanding is Mr. Baskett didn't attend because he was very ill, not because of segregation.

While it is true that he was in poor health, they also held the premiere in Atlanta, a segregated city at the time and he would not have been allowed to attend many of the events. He did pass shortly after the films release and may not have been able to travel anyway, but it unfortunately wouldn't have mattered.

I noticed tonight you can now not listen (greyed out) to the Splash Mountain Medley on Apple Music. What a shame Disney’s hope is to erase any existence of it so they act like it never happened. On a side noted I played Br’er Fox and Bear when I was in the Zoo Crew at DL. They were awesome because no one knew who you were and most kids were scared of the Fox so it was easy money compared to being Goofy in Toontown.
1677549401261.jpg

This is actually incorrect. Joel Chandler Harris was an outcast and minority (The Irish were considered an inferior race at the time). He was also an illegitimate child which was also really frowned upon. He was one of the few white people who actually hung out and was friends with African Americans.

"While at Turnwold Plantation, Harris spent hundreds of hours in the slave quarters during time off. He was less self-conscious there and felt his humble background as an illegitimate, red-headed son of an Irish immigrant helped foster an intimate connection with the slaves. He absorbed the stories, language, and inflections of people like Uncle George Terrell, Old Harbert, and Aunt Crissy.[6] The African-American animal tales they shared later became the foundation and inspiration for Harris's Uncle Remus tales. George Terrell and Old Harbert in particular became models for Uncle Remus, as well as role models for Harris."

Both Julius Lester and Ralph Ellison praise Harris,

"
Julius-Lester--300x220.jpg

Julius Lester, a black folklorist and university professor, sees the Uncle Remus stories as important records of black folklore. He has rewritten many of the Harris stories in an effort to elevate the subversive elements over the purportedly racist ones. Regarding the nature of the Uncle Remus character, Lester said,

cf9925c4-74b7-44d9-b7c4-6bad1c56f64b.jpg

The author Ralph Ellison was positive about Harris' work:
Lol, these are some very selective quotations from the Harris wikipedia page. Many others you didn’t include don’t seem to share such a favorable view of his, erm, cultural borrowings.

And Irish immigrants were lower class, sure, but calling them minorities in comparison to enslaved African Americans is a real stretch.

It's still available on Spotify on the Disneyland soundtrack. I admit that's pretty silly to remove it given they have lots of extinct rides on the soundtracks. Granted none of them were from a banned Disney movie. As far as this whole conversation, people have just got to take a cue from Elsa when it comes to all things Splash Mountain.

Edit: According to the internet, the song hasn't been on the WDW soundtrack on either Apple Music or Spotify since 2018. It's quite possible this is a rights issue as even on the Disneyland soundtrack on Spotify, some songs are greyed out. Maybe WDW didn't release the song to either streamer. Not sure why WDW wouldn't have it and DL would.

Last edited:
It's still available on Spotify on the Disneyland soundtrack. I admit that's pretty silly to remove it given they have lots of extinct rides on the soundtracks. Granted none of them were from a banned Disney movie. As far as this whole conversation, people have just got to take a cue from Elsa when it comes to all things Splash Mountain.

Edit: According to the internet, the song hasn't been on the WDW soundtrack on either Apple Music or Spotify since 2018. It's quite possible this is a rights issue as even on the Disneyland soundtrack on Spotify, some songs are greyed out. Maybe WDW didn't release the song to either streamer. Not sure why WDW wouldn't have it and DL would.

Same on Apple Music. Maybe because DL still has a Splash Mountain? It was there a few months ago my kids were listening to it. I am sure DL will have theirs removed upon closing of SM.

I think it is silly to delete its exsistence but who am I? I am won’t change crap so I just go with the flow and keep throwing my money at the mouse.

I do not expect TWDC to sell merch with the Splash Mountain characters. I'd be curious what or if TWDC even keeps a remnant of the old Splash ride. It is my understanding that one element from a past attraction is kept and adopted as part of the new attraction. E.g., the Country Bear Jamboree Taxidermy remains in the Pooh attraction at DL.

I noticed tonight you can now not listen (greyed out) to the Splash Mountain Medley on Apple Music. What a shame Disney’s hope is to erase any existence of it so they act like it never happened. On a side noted I played Br’er Fox and Bear when I was in the Zoo Crew at DL. They were awesome because no one knew who you were and most kids were scared of the Fox so it was easy money compared to being Goofy in Toontown.
View attachment 742764
It's ridiculous that Disney would eliminate access to the music, if that's what's actually happening. But the irony is really thick in a statement saying Disney is trying to erase American history (through a fictional story) with all the stuff going on in Florida right now (real-life stories) - some directed at Disney.

I do not expect TWDC to sell merch with the Splash Mountain characters. I'd be curious what or if TWDC even keeps a remnant of the old Splash ride. It is my understanding that one element from a past attraction is kept and adopted as part of the new attraction. E.g., the Country Bear Jamboree Taxidermy remains in the Pooh attraction at DL.

I believe that they will actually keep a lot of the animatronics, like the singng animals, etc. That's one of the reasons that they went with Tiana for the ride as it already fits a little. Assuming the riverboat scene is still the finale (totally works) then I bet the "America Sings" birds, etc. will remain. The named characters - Br'er Rabbit, Fox, etc. will be gone or heavily redressed at any rate.

It's ridiculous that Disney would eliminate access to the music, if that's what's actually happening. But the irony is really thick in a statement saying Disney is trying to erase American history (through a fictional story) with all the stuff going on in Florida right now (real-life stories) - some directed at Disney.
I didn’t say they were erasing American history I am sorry if it came across as so. I meant Disney history

I watched it recently out of curiosity. I believe the movie’s heart was in the right place but it’s full of cringe. I know it was a different time but not so different that someone should have realized it was a bad idea.

And ignoring social implications- imo the animation wasn’t so great. Erase the controversy and this would be considered a lower tier Disney movie.

Zip-a-dee-do-da is the obvious highlight and I could imagine the song wont be completely disowned by Disney but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter