Splash Mountain Advice?

merfsko

DIS Veteran
Here's the deal: I really, really want to do Splash Mountain.
But I am absolutely petrified by the last drop.

I normally don't do thrill rides. At all. I can do BTM; I'm always forced on it, kicking and screaming, but other then a few screams, have no trouble with it. I also have no problem at all with the drops in PotC or Kali River Rapids.

I've been trying to calm myself down about the drop, but it's still freaking me out. I hate the feeling when you go down a drop (that's the worst part on BTM for me- but I'm getting better at it).

So here's the challenge of the day: convince me to ride Splash. :D

Thanks in advance!

I think you're just psyching yourself out too much. When I was younger I did the same thing. I refused to go on splash mountain because I was scarred of the final drop. The only reason I went on it was because my parents bribed me with a goofy hat. Now it's my all time favorite ride. I think if you can do BTM, Splash should be no problem, I did Splash before I did either of the other two mountains, and I was still screaming on Space and BTM while i was laughing on Splash. You can do it!:thumbsup2

To be honest, if you have a problem with the drop in Big Thunder Mountain, you're gonna freak out on Splash Mountain.

I hated the drop in SM. I was so nervous the first time I rode. Then, some members of my party wanted to go on SM over and over. By the time I rode it for the 4th time, in 4 days, the drop was not a big deal. Plus there's a cute scene at the end, with the steam boat, singing characters, etc. That's the most welcome site in all of WDW, LOL. I really enjoy that scene knowing the worst was over.

As long as you don't have a panic disorder, or heart trouble, I 'd give it a try. Breathe while you're going up the hill and realize it's all over in about 3 seconds.

I would ride it once...you never know what you will like...If you dont like it you never have to do it again and at least you got to see it...the ride itself before the drop and right after the drop its amazing and so worth the 2 second drop....the drop is over so fast u dont know it...My wife ducks way down in the seat adn I did too one year it was cold and it took the drop sensation away....Have you ridden Space Moutain...there are no real drops in that...just dark and twist and turns....its no worse than BTMRR IMHO

too me the worst part of drops are not the drops themselves but the climb to get to them....

I am a lot like you in regard to rides. I went on my honeymoon in 1999 to DW and the only rides of any significance I rode were TT and Star Tours. I wouldn't get on any of the Mountains (Splash, Space or Big Thunder). We went in 2008 with my then 6 yr old DD and I was determined to at least try a few. I still couldn't muster the courage to try EE, RnR or ToT, but I did do BTMRR, Space and Splash.

I tackled BTMRR first and it was nothing. I even convinced my DD to ride it. She loved it also. I only rode Splash once (and got soaked) but I worried about the drop at the end the entire time. My DD would not go on it. Its not as bad as you imagine, but its not something to be outright dismissed for people that don't usually ride wild rides either. It is over quickly and you hardly have time to think about it once its happening. I would definitely go on it again and it gave me the courage to then go on Space Mountain.

To me, the SM drop has always felt like it is at a less steep slope than other drops around WDW. So while it's high, you don't get as horrible a feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Plus, it's an awesome ride!! Basically like a life-size cartoon, plus it's a WDW classic. Trust me, it is well worth the few seconds of the drop to ride the rest. And like my mom always said to me when I was afraid to ride a ride: You're not going to die! Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it, and if you never want to do it again, you don't have to... but do it!!

I normally don't do thrill rides. At all. I can do BTM; I'm always forced on it, kicking and screaming, but other then a few screams, have no trouble with it. I also have no problem at all with the drops in PotC or Kali River Rapids.

I've been trying to calm myself down about the drop, but it's still freaking me out. I hate the feeling when you go down a drop (that's the worst part on BTM for me- but I'm getting better at it).

So here's the challenge of the day: convince me to ride Splash. :D

Thanks in advance!
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I SO TOTALLY AGREE :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Hi! I don't do thrill rides either. I get very motion sick, very easily, and I totally hate the falling feeling when you go down a drop. I AM OK on BTMRR (DD jokes about this being "mom's thrill ride") as long as I only do it once; after that, I get too motion sick. I am OK on PoC, Kali, TestTrak (once!) and Maelstrom. No way on this green Earth am I foolish enough to try StarTours, ToT, RnRC, M:S, EE, etc. Guess what? I have ridden Splash Mountain four times!!!! (one exclamation point for each ride)

You can do this. It's a wonderful ride, but be aware there's a fairly big drop early on (but manageable), in the dark (i think...) and then there is the monster drop. Hmmm... the biggest drop has a "line-up", so you won't come on it by surprise, so don't spend every second of the ride worrying about it. You will have time to prepare and hold on. I have found I do better if I think about it as "standing up" on the drop rather than sitting and trying to wedge myself back. The whole time I am falling, I remind myself "it's only 4 seconds, it's only 4 seconds," and then it's over. The ride itself is wonderful, but I won't kid you that you will enjoy the drop, cuz I am 99% sure you won't. I don't ride SM anymore as I found the drop bothered my sinuses and gave me an immediate sinus headache but I can proudly say, "I rode Splash Mountain!", because I did, four times!!!!

You can do this once if you really want to... I know, been there, DID THAT!!!!

ETA: By the way, the big big big drop isn't the ending of the ride! There's more ride left, so you'll have time to calm down, compose yourself, and enjoy the rest of the ride. By the time you get off, nobody'll know how scared you were!

Hated it with a passion for many years. Then, finally figured out how to sit in order to alleviate some of that 'falling out' feeling.
Push your butt and back hard against the seat back....shove your knees up against/under the front of the car...it's almost like your knees are holding you there. It seems to take away some of that 'I'm gonna go flying out' feeling. Now I can ride it with my arms held straight up!!
When you hold onto the bar, you are bending forward, which makes the sensation all that much worse..unless you have gorilla arms!!

Practice - that's what I did! I closed my eyes, breathing in and out, emptying my mind, for a count of six seconds. That's two seconds longer than the drop, so if you can just keep yourself calm for the six seconds, you'll be fine.

It's a technique I learned to overcome my anxiety issues, and to help me through natural childbirth, twice!

I have always been a big baby when it comes to rides. Like you I could handle Big Thunder Mountain but couldn't deal with the drop. When I turned 50 I decided it was time to conquor those fears and have some fun. I started with Splash Mountain and when the drop was in sight I grabbed the bar, closed my eyes and prayed. I am still here. I have since gone on Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, and Exhibition Everest. All with my eyes closed!

I would suggest watching it on You Tube over and over so you know where the drop is going to be. My DS spent the whole ride worrying over that drop and couldn't enjoy the ride, AND there is so much to enjoy. Hopefully, if you know where it is, you can be calm enough to enjoy the "show" and just be anxious at the last moment when you start to go up.

Just think, it's only 4 seconds out of your entire life. You can do it!

Ask for the 3rd or 4th row when you get up to board. Honestly, that last big drop is over so quick, you could literally count to 5 and you're at the bottom. To me the drop in the middle of the ride is a little scarier because it's in the dark and you actually go down, come back up and go down again (hard to explain). But it is pretty fun. If it helps, the first time I rode it I had a death grip on the handle in front of my seat and was pretty scared but since then I've probably ridden it 100 times and I love it. The biggest part of that ride is getting over the fear of the drop, once you know what to expect it really is not a big deal.:goodvibes

I was like you - desperately wanted to do Splash but absolutely petrified of the drop. Last year - rode it with my 4 yr old son (he became tall enough to ride last year :thumbsup2) and no one else wanted to ride so I rode with him. I was so glad I did - it became my favorite ride in WDW and we rode it about a half dozen times. The drop is not that bad & it is over in the blink of an eye.

I used to be afraid of flume rides; I would almost cry at the thought of riding them. However, I LOVE Splash Mountain. It is so worth the drop--to the point where I am no longer afraid. The ride is so amazingly detailed. It's not a typical flume ride. There is so much that went in to creating the story behind the ride, that I think everyone should ride at least one. The drop is over in seconds; it's a small part of the overall ride.

Took our (then) DD7 for her first time. She was terrified, and I felt incredibly guilty about how scared she was. NOW at 10, she's perfectly fine with Splash.

Truthfully, it's not that big of a drop. Most logflumes at local amusement parks have bigger and steeper drops. It's just that Disney does things the best, and the atmosphere and lead-up to the drop make it seem much more than it really is.

Here's my advice: Make sure you understand that there are actually 7 drops, with the "big" one you see from outside being the 6th. The storyline is fantastic, but you probably won't see it on your first ride. You'll be too worried about anticipating the big drop.

There are so many things that add to the anxiety of the big drop, and Disney does it on purpose. The music becomes more sinister, the buzzards warn you to "go back, if only you could." It all comes to a climax just before the drop... and then it's over and the music is happy again.

Stand at the bridge some time and watch the logs go down the big hill. Just when they pass out of your view, there is a big "splash." That's not real... it's from a water cannon, and is just another trick to make you think there is a huge splash. Thus, raising the anxiety level before you even get in line!

If you understand that they ARE trying to make the big moment even bigger by raising the anxiety, then you'll be fine when you get there. It really is an amazing ride, and the drop really is NOT bad.

I have been on SM several times and am still petrified of the big drop, but it happens so fast that it is over in an instant. We always look for our picture near the exit and I always have the same petrified look on my face. Every time I go on I try to make a nice face but I always looked scared to death. We sometimes end up buying that picture because it truly depicts my meaning of this ride, funny.

Keep your eyes open during the big drop. Makes it much less intense! Trust me! :)

I have trouble considering Splash a "thrill" ride. It's a fairly mild ride. The last drop is not scary at all.

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride at MK. I enjoy the drop, I'm a fan of thrill rides, but that's not why it's my favorite.

The 'dark ride' portion of it is so great! Even if you hate the drop aspect, you *must* go on it at least once just to see all the animatronics and the story. (Actually, if you go on it once and can handle it, I'd suggest going again because I have a feeling you'll have missed a lot of little details from stressing out about the drop.) Think of it as a PotC type ride.

Be aware that there are a couple other small drops before you get to the big'n.
If you watch the videos on youtube you can get an idea of where these are so you can actually enjoy the rest of the ride without wondering when they're coming.

Maybe it will help to look at it from a logical point of view? The ride is designed to be safely enjoy by those 40 inches and taller. My DS3 is almost 42 inches now, so we'll definitely be riding on our next trip in August (assuming he wants to go, of course.) So, if it's safe for a 3YO, it's perfectly safe for an adult right? :goodvibes

Like other PP's have mentioned, the story is really fantastic. It really is a must-see. :)

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter