Spirit airlines

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Thoughts? I've never flown them, but for the date I need the price is hard to beat. From Orlando to Charlotte NC it is $82 for a non-stop flight. Anything I should know before I book? Small seats? No beverage service? How is their safety record? TIA!!!

I flew Spirit down to MCO my last trip. Biggest thing to know is that EVERYTHING is extra. (Checked and carry on luggage, seat selection, etc.) The base fare may be cheaper than other airlines, but, depending on upgrades, you may not come out ahead. Also the max weight for checked luggage is only 40 lbs. I checked a bag each way and used a Jansport backpack as my personal item that fit under the seat. Seats are pretty uncomfortable and thin and the flight attendants spend an annoying amount of time hawking the spirit credit card. However, despite all that, my flights were on time and they got me from point A to point B!

Keep in mind that this price does not include fees which Sprit is synonymous for, they have a reputation for nickel and dimming for everything possible even carry-on bags and the ability to select a seat. After fees the total cost can be nearly the same as a regular airline.

None of my thoughts on Spirit or Frontier are positive, but I will address this one separately:
How is their safety record?
Zero issues with safety. As much as people bang on about the FAA and the Boeing/Airbus' relationship currently, there's no doubt that the results of it have been stunning. There have been zero passenger transport category aircraft crashes in over 10 years on US airlines, and only a single aircraft accident fatality by any cause (an uncontained engine failure). That's over 90 million flights. More people by far die of accidents in airports than in aircraft.

A lot of this comes down to US aircrews, including the cabin crew, getting more mandated rest periods and better training than the rest of the world, so when something does go wrong, they're able to react appropriately.

You can choose airlines for many reasons, but for US domestic at least safety should never be one of them. :)

If the “Big Front Seat” is available it is a great value!
From MSP to MCO your choices for nonstop are Delta ( which I love but are generally quite a bit more $), sun Country or Frontier. Sun Country and Frontier are essentially the same a Spirit but without the option of paying for the Big Front Seat so we fly Spirit fairly regularly. I usually price it out with Big front seats or exit row and one checked bag. If it prices out less than Delta Spirit it is!

I have a cache of Southwest points and a Companion Pass from the Southwest Visas...but they don’t fly nonstop and from their flight times aren’t the best so Spirit it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter