• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spirit Air Passenger Usage Fee Removal

Cindy's Mom

DIS Veteran
So yesterday I read on social media that you if you go to an airport and buy Spirit tickets at the counter, they remove the $19.99 each way passenger usage fee. I've been hitting the google pretty hard and it does appear to be true. I called Spirit (non toll free number) and the off shore guy that answered wasn't forth coming with the info.

Its pretty easy for me to get to O"Hare, I wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this. Can you use promo codes? $9 club fares? Any and all info is appreciated.

You'll save $20 but you'll lose the $10 discount for a checked bag and or a bin bag.

I did this for my upcoming trip (we leave tomorrow). The tickets were $51 one way. At the airport, it came to $31 one way for each person after the $19.99 discount. This ended up being a $80 savings for my family of 4 (You can't beat $125 total for 4 people). It was pretty quick and painless. The agent was great, he even assigned my seats for free so my family could sit together, usually you have to pay for that with Spirit.

The only 'gotcha' (which is alluded to above) is that you can't purchase your bags right away when you do this. This causes you to pay an extra $10 a bag when you do it online. It was still a net positive since we will only check 2 bags, but would make it not worth it for a smaller party.

If you are a family of 4 with 1 or 2 checked bags and you don't need seats (unless the airport agent does it for you!) it is worth it.
The last time we booked a 7 night trip to MCO for a family of 5 for 7 nights. We needed 2 checked bags, seats and insurance. We bought the no thrills combo and we came out ahead by booking online because that deal in only available during online booking.
No thrills combo includes 1 checked bag up to 50 lbs each and 1 carryon per person, seats anywhere except big ones, 24 hour cancellation, priority boarding. It was SOOOOOOO nice being able to check 1 bag per person! When we booked it was 75.99 / person. Is seems to be cheaper when you book a bigger group. My friend booked a ticket for just herself and it was 104.99 for the combo.
My DH went to the airport yesterday for just himself. Unfortunately it didn't work out in his favor because he needs 2 check bags and we ended up paying more by going to the airport.

OP here. Wow, thanks everyone. I may just head out to ORD tonight. I'm fascinated by this LOL

Last weekend I purchased our tickets for Detroit to Orlando at the airport. It was $38 each way. Been doing this for years. Only piece of advice is to check the hours that they sell the tickets. Ours only sells from Noon to 3 pm.

Last weekend I purchased our tickets for Detroit to Orlando at the airport. It was $38 each way. Been doing this for years. Only piece of advice is to check the hours that they sell the tickets. Ours only sells from Noon to 3 pm.

Dang - I wonder how to find out when they sell tickets at ORD. I hated calling them the other....its set up to discourage you from getting a real person. hmmmmmm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter